glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)
Posted By: vector40 <brandon@berkeleyhigh.org>Date: 9/5/02 12:04 a.m.

In Response To: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription) (ElectricSheep)

First: something's been making me crazy happy recently, and it's not just the trailor (THAT made me weep). What is it?

The Bungie Community is, in a sense, back. As in the ye days of pre-release lore, when HBO, R.net, Marathon's Story, and their friends were small havens of Bungie-philes, making speculation... like this.

And now, a full analysis. I'll assume this script is correct, because any discrepancies will be minor.

Pilot: "Sir! They
: just folded in--inside our formation!"
: Admiral: "Son, I need you to calm down."
: Pilot: "...look, additional contacts [static] engaged [static]"
: Admiral: "...[something] rally point Alpha"

The Earth defense fleet has been holding a defensive formation around Earth. The Covenant fleet folds out of Slipspace — but, using a precision jump, jumps INSIDE the human formation, not outside of it. Pilot, captain, whoever starts flapping to the admiral, because his neatly-formed plan just went apeshit. Admiral attempts to calm him and rectify the situation.

: General: "Admiral, you can't let them maintain orbit."
: Adimral: "I'm trying, general, but we've lost our advantage within the
: mother perimiter."

The Covenant ships have broken past the human defense perimeter, have assumed orbital positions to Earth, and are pummeling it with fire. The commander of the ground troops, whose men are taking the hits, compels the admiral to get rid of the ships. But he's having trouble, because their defensive formationm (and as anybody knows, a good, dug-in defensive formation is one of the only advantages an inferior force can have) has been lost. Now, it's just Man against Ape — and the Ape's better.

: Admiral: "My frigates are combat ineffective in the fighters. They don't
: have enough punch to take out a Covenant assault carrier."
: General: "Your pilots let up, and down here its the goddamn
: apocalypse!"

The Covenant are beginning to send down invasion troops via their carriers. The admiral is attempting to stop them, but his frigates are tied up with fighing the fleet (or destroyed), and his fighters don't have big enough weapons to attack the carriers. Frigates and fighters are the bulk of his fleet. The general, predictably, is shitting himself, because he does NOT want to be fighting several hundred thousand Covenant mano-a-mano on EARTH.

: General: "I'm asking you to retarget the orbitals!"
: Admiral: "And let more of them slip the kill zone? That's
: insanity!"
: Admiral: "There's nothing more I can do!"

Earth is still taking brutal fire from the orbiting Covenant vessels, and the human ground troops are helpless against it. The ground commander pleads for the admiral to fend them off — but the admiral's caught up in his own problems. He must have reestablished something of a perimeter, and has a "kill zone". (Quick summary for those unfamiliar with miltary nonsense: it's an old formation. Basically, you arrange your guys however, and split up their firing "arcs" into small sections, with everybody covering their own area. You can have some overlap, but not much, to maximize the protected area. The region you're targeting is the area the enemy has to pass through, and when they do, you rake them. There are variations, but the main idea is the same — a particular area where you're "killing". Very old-school.) The kill zone is protecting the planet and fending off the Covenant (sort of) — maybe it's not doing too great, but it's the ONLY thing keeping them from swarming in like bees. If the ships take their attention away from the kill zone, ships will slip through, upsetting the formation and forcing them to stop targeting the zone even more.

: Marine: "The core defense is too intense. Our grid is matched, I don't
: think we'll last another [one?]!"

Tricky. We need verification of this dialogue before I can proceed.

: Cortana: "Admiral, tell your men to hold their positions. Reinforcements
: are on the spoke."
: Admiral: "The entire fleet is engaged, Cortana. With respect, what the
: hell sort of reinforcement have you got?"

Explain itself, pretty much. The MC's going in.

: Marine: " advancing below their position, proximity zero."

The MC's target, a big-ass Covie ship (cruiser, maybe — maybe a flagship), is directly underneath him, with a proximity of essentially zero. Time to go.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)ElectricSheep 9/4/02 10:25 p.m.
     nice work! *NM**Ar-Isildur of *WP* 9/4/02 10:27 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Da Loaph 9/4/02 10:30 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)shibby 9/4/02 11:48 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Stick 9/4/02 10:32 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Stick 9/4/02 10:36 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Skeletor 9/4/02 10:34 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Rixor 9/4/02 11:26 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)vector40 9/4/02 11:36 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Skeletor 9/4/02 10:46 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)vector40 9/5/02 12:04 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Rixor 9/5/02 12:16 a.m.
           Re: Real hard-vacuum for Real marines•Mimer 9/5/02 1:04 a.m.
                 Re: Real hard-vacuum for Real marinesRazorback 9/5/02 9:07 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Skeletor 9/5/02 4:34 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)run 9/5/02 12:34 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Narcogen 9/5/02 12:45 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 voice actorsragereset 9/5/02 1:05 a.m.
                 Re: But they can't take away my Ventcore!•Mimer 9/5/02 1:08 a.m.
                 Re: Halo 2 voice actorsNarcogen 9/5/02 1:24 a.m.
     CORRECTED VERSION (FINISHED)smythsailor 9/5/02 2:18 a.m.
           Re: CORRECTED VERSION (FINISHED){mAc}Dark_Eagle 9/5/02 2:57 a.m.
                 Re: CORRECTED VERSION (FINISHED)Walker 9/5/02 9:28 a.m.
                       Good call. *NM*Louis Wu 9/5/02 10:28 a.m.
           H2TD(T) FinalPhaizonyx 9/5/02 5:25 p.m.
                 Sounds perfect to me. Nice work. *NM*Skeletor 9/5/02 6:29 p.m.
                       Um... no.Louis Wu 9/5/02 8:48 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)FrogBlast 9/5/02 2:32 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)GruntBlast 9/5/02 10:43 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Cunbelin 9/5/02 2:48 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Corsair 9/5/02 4:42 a.m.
                 Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)vector40 9/5/02 7:16 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)hack 9/5/02 4:17 a.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Master Chief Mabry 9/5/02 6:11 a.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Cunbelin 9/5/02 6:32 a.m.
                 Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Kamui 9/5/02 1:32 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)YOTA 9/5/02 1:52 p.m.
                             Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Skeletor 9/5/02 3:28 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Uriel 9/5/02 5:27 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)YOTA 9/6/02 2:44 p.m.
                                         Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)GruntBlast 9/8/02 10:04 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)YOTA 9/8/02 10:13 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)g-money 9/5/02 12:48 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)vector40 9/5/02 7:21 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Master Chief Mabry 9/7/02 4:48 a.m.
                             Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Parathious 9/7/02 12:37 p.m.
     The voices....SP 9/7/02 2:03 p.m.
     WE WONT *NM*SP 9/7/02 2:34 p.m.
     Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Edward A. Nadimi 9/27/02 9:48 p.m.
           Re: Halo 2 Trailer Dialogue (transcription)Louis Wu 9/28/02 6:31 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.