glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: scrn_084.jpg is....Captain Keyes' Pipe!!!
Posted By: ElectricSheep <pgierke@udel.edu>Date: 3/7/02 8:55 p.m.

In Response To: Re: scrn_084.jpg is....Captain Keyes' Pipe!!! (Louis Wu)

: I've gotta agree, now that you say it (though I have NO idea where that
: particular image was snapped :) ). What's really annoying is that his pipe
: vanishes after the cutscene - he has it in his hand when his hands go
: behind his back; then it's gone. No pockets, no shelf... it's just gone.
: So you can never really get a look at it with anything with a zoom on it.
: However, here's the best shot I could grab:

: Maybe it's just wishful thinking... but I think I can see that Marathon logo
: there. :)

There's a pretty good shot of the front of the pipe as Keyes gestures to the front tactical display when he says 'The obejct we found, I'm going to try and land the Autumn on it'. You would think to look in Bungie's Truth and Reconciliation site where they uploaded their recent translations of that scene, but the precise time that I'm talking about is conveniently left out, and by only a few seconds.

Based on how the texturing of the Pipe lines up with the texturing of the mystery object, I wouldn't have to have seen the Marathon logo to be convinced.

Interesting to note that when I first saw this image, i thought it might be a mug hidden away somewhere on the Autumn (a mess hall, maybe?). I guess I was flashing back to the mug which appears with Robert Blake in Craig Mullins' Chaperscreen for Marathon 2 titled 'Blake'. It then came to me that it might be the captains pipe, viewed directly on. I wanted a nice high res shot of the pipe, and remembered seeing one in the 'Technical Goofs' section at the Truth and Reconciliation site. Indeed, there is a nice shot of the pipe sticking out of Keyes' lower jaw (an error, obviously), but it was sporting a traditional wooden texture rather then the sleek black and silver Marathon texture which I had hoped to see.

After I read the challenge on the cover of HBO, I decided to fire up the XBox and have a nice close look at my TV screen and at that pipe once more. The angles of the opening scene are enough to identify the captain's pipe as having a Black and Silver texture, but there were no clean shots of the front. So, I decided to play to the point where you first meet Keyes and receive Cortana. This is where you can get a pretty good view of the pipe, front and back.

Interesting to note that as you go through the tutorial portion of the Pillar of Autumn, and as you make your way to the Bridge for the first time, you can hear Cortana giving orders to the crew over the PA system. However, after you download Cortana into your head, the Captian takes over issuing orders. Its one of those little consistency things that you don't really notice at first, but its good to see the subtle things being taken care of. Particular kudos to Robert McLees for keeping those human weapon models real. The animations too. I noticed the pushbutton safety, ejection port of the *proper side of the weapon*, and the Standard Operating Procedure reloading sequences (finger off the trigger, open bolt, release mag, insert new mag, close bolt). Good accurate stuff that you don't come across all too often even in those 'real world firearms' games.

Message Index

Replies:

scrn_084.jpg is....Captain Keyes' Pipe!!!ElectricSheep 3/7/02 5:49 p.m.
     I agree *NM* *NM*Stuy Parker 3/7/02 6:15 p.m.
           Where can you get a pipe? I never see them... *NM*Jeff 3/7/02 7:26 p.m.
     Re: scrn_084.jpg is....Captain Keyes' Pipe!!!Louis Wu 3/7/02 8:09 p.m.
           Concur.vector40 3/7/02 8:51 p.m.
           Re: scrn_084.jpg is....Captain Keyes' Pipe!!!ElectricSheep 3/7/02 8:55 p.m.
                 Not yet.candyman 3/7/02 8:59 p.m.
                       Re: Not yet.ElectricSheep 3/7/02 9:23 p.m.
                             Re: Not yet.baugi 3/8/02 12:42 a.m.
                                   Re: Not yet.Amechwarrior 3/8/02 1:27 a.m.
                                         Re: Not yet.strykerwolf 3/8/02 2:44 a.m.
                                               Re: Not yet.strykerwolf 3/8/02 2:46 a.m.
                                                     Re: Not yet.FrogBlast 3/8/02 7:20 a.m.
                                                           Re: Not yet.Louis Wu 3/8/02 7:27 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Not yet.FrogBlast 3/8/02 7:39 a.m.
                                                                       Nooooooo! :')Joseph 3/8/02 10:28 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Nooooooo! :')FrogBlast 3/8/02 10:35 a.m.
                                                                             Sniper RifleMarty the Elder 3/8/02 11:27 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Nooooooo! :')Louis Wu 3/10/02 8:01 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Nooooooo! :')vector40 3/10/02 2:17 p.m.
                                               Re: Not yet.... confirmedFrogBlast 3/8/02 11:30 a.m.
                       Re: What??SpudBoy 3/7/02 11:54 p.m.
                             Re: What??Louis Wu 3/8/02 7:23 a.m.
                                   Re: What??FrogBlast 3/8/02 7:24 a.m.
                                         Re: What??SpudBoy 3/8/02 1:04 p.m.
                                               Re: What??FrogBlast 3/8/02 1:18 p.m.
                                                     Re: What??SpudBoy 3/8/02 1:30 p.m.
                 Re: scrn_084.jpg is....Captain Keyes' Pipe!!!Reidbo 3/8/02 8:58 a.m.
                       Re: scrn_084.jpg is....Captain Keyes' Pipe!!!ElectricSheep 3/8/02 12:54 p.m.
                 The Question No One Has AskedGorehead 3/8/02 5:27 p.m.
           Absolutely! *NM*Finn/Daniel 3/7/02 9:01 p.m.
     wowDjof 3/7/02 8:54 p.m.
     credit where credit is duecandyman 3/8/02 3:28 p.m.
           Re: credit where credit is dueDT_Spike 3/9/02 1:34 p.m.
                 Re: credit where credit is dueFrogBlast 3/10/02 12:00 a.m.
                 Re: credit where credit is duecandyman 3/11/02 11:42 a.m.
           Re: credit where credit is dueLouis Wu 3/10/02 8:10 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.