Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Bungie has a knack for that... *sp*
Posted By: Miguel Chavez <bs@bungie.org>Date: 12/9/01 4:41 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers) (Red Hot Ryan)

: It makes me so sad for the covenant even...
: I mean, when I'm not killing them, and the flood are I just feel depressed.
: Actually, it's the exact same way I felt when I played marathon 1 for too
: long. Wow.

: Great Job Guys,
: Ryan

I think if there's ever a *reason* I became a bungie fan it's because the story grabbed you by the shoulders and simply sucked you in. PiD I think was the first example of that for me... where racing back to the entrance of the pyramid you realize that you're hell bent on saving yourself, even with all these monsters all around you, trying to kick your ass. Marathon had several moments like that... and I know on some forum long ago I cried out that Leela's death really tore me up. I was her slave, I would've done anything for her, but Durandal, that fucking bastard, had to just twist the dagger in my heart. I still miss her.

When Myth ends, the wind blowing around the Great Devoid also makes me sad. The Berserks and Dorfs and Archers that I command are all weak, you can feel they're exhaustion, yet they carry on, to vanquish the evil that has tried to kill their homes and families.

Even Oni had sequences like that... maybe not the over-the-top revelation of what happened to Konoko's 'mother and father,' but the whole Shinitama thread was a real heart-tugger. Her last valiant steps to try to stop the police chief (Keyes! :), to do what she could to protect Konoko. :: sniff ::

With Halo it's a new 'age' of using the best technology to give you the best cinematic experience in a game, and Bungie has done a really great job. From the cold distance and stiff humor of the Monitor while you're being attacked from all sides, to Cortana's own disappointment with how the war is going and how so many have died.

The FoR novel, which I'm just about done with, multiplies those moments even more, and I feel so bad for me/John as I watch my teammates die and the war seem hopeless. I'm enveloped in alien technology, advanced human science and metal, and an AI that can run a world, yet in the center I have a human heart and brain, and I can still cry.

Aye, a marine... like the one we dragged unto an escape pod when we first left the PoA... to save one with us... someone to talk to on a very lonely journey... somewhere? that would've been a nice ending touch.

Thanks Bungie for not disappointing...

- Miguel

Message Index

Replies:

Taking in the lush environments of HaloHarry 12/8/01 5:42 p.m.
     Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Nym Nadal 12/8/01 7:12 p.m.
           Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Harry 12/8/01 7:58 p.m.
                 Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)|RaptoR| 12/8/01 8:58 p.m.
                       Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Ilium Rise 12/8/01 9:11 p.m.
                             Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Harry 12/8/01 9:23 p.m.
                                   only the lonelyMarty the Elder 12/9/01 12:27 a.m.
                                         I cried :( *NM*no7orious the weak 12/9/01 1:19 a.m.
                                               Re: I cried :(Harry 12/9/01 1:23 a.m.
                                                     Harry, you pollyanna *NM*Lucid 12/9/01 2:17 a.m.
                                         Re: only the lonelyHarry 12/9/01 2:47 a.m.
                                               Re: only the lonelyno7orious the musical 12/9/01 3:17 a.m.
                                                     Re: only the lonelyferrex 12/9/01 2:14 p.m.
                                                           Great minds think alike ...Jester 12/9/01 3:11 p.m.
                                                           beautiful, truly beautiful... nmno7orious still sarcastic 12/9/01 5:13 p.m.
                                         wailKnight Premier 12/9/01 3:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Ape Man 12/9/01 11:04 a.m.
                                         Word *NM*Harry 12/9/01 1:40 p.m.
                 Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Red Hot Ryan 12/9/01 2:09 p.m.
                       Bungie has a knack for that... *sp*Miguel Chavez 12/9/01 4:41 p.m.
                             ::cry:: *NM*Lucid 12/9/01 11:19 p.m.
                       Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)get azure 12/9/01 6:04 p.m.
     Are you morbid?eva05 12/9/01 8:46 p.m.
           Re: Are you morbid?Louis Wu 12/9/01 9:01 p.m.
                 Re: Are you morbid?eva05 12/9/01 10:40 p.m.
                       Re: Are you morbid?vector40 12/9/01 11:45 p.m.
                             No anime for me, thanks.Bad_Cheese 12/11/01 4:38 a.m.
           Re: Are you morbid?vector40 12/9/01 9:43 p.m.
                 Re: Are you morbid?Lucid 12/9/01 10:23 p.m.
                       there's that ambient life thing again *NM* *NM*butcher 12/9/01 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Armor *spoiler alert*eva05 12/10/01 3:19 a.m.
                       lol spoiler for what?Lucid 12/10/01 1:15 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.