Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)
Posted By: Ape Man <danielhamilton@earthlink.net>Date: 12/9/01 11:04 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers) (Harry)

: A smile but a feel of sadness seeing how Covenant and human don't fight
: anymore because of impending death.

: Games that leave an impression on me, one that is emotional, are the games I
: love. All throughout the game there are elements which add to an eerie,
: lonely and sad tone. Much respect to Marty who composed that awesome
: atmospheric music, it played a big part in setting the tone.

: -Harry

The part that left the biggest impression, emotionally, on me, was the opening cinematic to the last level (before the comical crashing bit ruined that feeling-sorry...it was funny, but I felt that sequence would've been much better if it had retained its somber, serious tone). I am speaking, of course, of the shot of the camera whisking swiftly over the water, turned gold by the sunset, as (in my opinion) the most beautiful peice of music in the game begins to play. The camera panning up to reveal cliffs, a giant cleft in the earth-And the Horse You Rode in On...

What an amazing sequence (and the title was the icing on the cake-fantastic). I've only gotten that feeling before from reading a beautifully described passage from a novel, or (much more rarely) from certain perfectly-done scenes from films. I was sad, my spine was tingling, and I was overwhelmed with the beauty of the moment.

It was the first time in a computer game where I actually CARED, and, oddly enough, I cared about the Pillar of Autumn. It was as if the ship were a character, even more complex than Cortana or Keyes or the Master Chief. And here was this character, battered and broken, laying crushed against a hillside. The thing that truly made me sad about it was my thought, "Here is the last human starship." Something about that added to the moment greatly.

I've since watched the sequence a good fifteen times, and it still holds a great effect on me.

Joe, Marty, everyone involved in making that cinematic-MAD props. It was gorgeous.

Message Index

Replies:

Taking in the lush environments of HaloHarry 12/8/01 5:42 p.m.
     Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Nym Nadal 12/8/01 7:12 p.m.
           Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Harry 12/8/01 7:58 p.m.
                 Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)|RaptoR| 12/8/01 8:58 p.m.
                       Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Ilium Rise 12/8/01 9:11 p.m.
                             Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Harry 12/8/01 9:23 p.m.
                                   only the lonelyMarty the Elder 12/9/01 12:27 a.m.
                                         I cried :( *NM*no7orious the weak 12/9/01 1:19 a.m.
                                               Re: I cried :(Harry 12/9/01 1:23 a.m.
                                                     Harry, you pollyanna *NM*Lucid 12/9/01 2:17 a.m.
                                         Re: only the lonelyHarry 12/9/01 2:47 a.m.
                                               Re: only the lonelyno7orious the musical 12/9/01 3:17 a.m.
                                                     Re: only the lonelyferrex 12/9/01 2:14 p.m.
                                                           Great minds think alike ...Jester 12/9/01 3:11 p.m.
                                                           beautiful, truly beautiful... nmno7orious still sarcastic 12/9/01 5:13 p.m.
                                         wailKnight Premier 12/9/01 3:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Ape Man 12/9/01 11:04 a.m.
                                         Word *NM*Harry 12/9/01 1:40 p.m.
                 Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)Red Hot Ryan 12/9/01 2:09 p.m.
                       Bungie has a knack for that... *sp*Miguel Chavez 12/9/01 4:41 p.m.
                             ::cry:: *NM*Lucid 12/9/01 11:19 p.m.
                       Re: Taking in the lush - (spoilers)get azure 12/9/01 6:04 p.m.
     Are you morbid?eva05 12/9/01 8:46 p.m.
           Re: Are you morbid?Louis Wu 12/9/01 9:01 p.m.
                 Re: Are you morbid?eva05 12/9/01 10:40 p.m.
                       Re: Are you morbid?vector40 12/9/01 11:45 p.m.
                             No anime for me, thanks.Bad_Cheese 12/11/01 4:38 a.m.
           Re: Are you morbid?vector40 12/9/01 9:43 p.m.
                 Re: Are you morbid?Lucid 12/9/01 10:23 p.m.
                       there's that ambient life thing again *NM* *NM*butcher 12/9/01 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Armor *spoiler alert*eva05 12/10/01 3:19 a.m.
                       lol spoiler for what?Lucid 12/10/01 1:15 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.