Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Also, about weapon redundancy
Posted By: Gravemind <kuukan_no_kage@yahoo.com>Date: 2/16/13 1:51 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Also, about weapon redundancy (Def Guru 7777)

: But I don't think the "curve ball" methodology is necessary in
: every game. I've always viewed Halo games (Halo 4 included) as giving you
: a good selection of tools, and basically letting you handle a situation
: any way you want. Sure there are people that'll just BR and Magnum it up
: the whole game, and that's their prerogative. But there's plenty of
: options for guys who want flexibility.

Making sure the more complacent players have the option of "BR-in it up" for the whole game is a pretty shallow justification for having three different arsenals have full parity with each other. I'm not saying that throwing the player a curveball should the the reason for having unique arsenal of weapons for part of one or stages. I'm just saying that it would be throwing them a curveball, and that it wouldn't be a bad thing for being as such. We didn't need the "Forerunner AR," "Forerunner shotgun," and "Forerunner DMR." You could keep the redundancies to a minimum and still provide enough options for the player to tackle the Prometheans. There might be some overlap, but the Promethean arsenal wouldn't just seem like reskinned UNSC weapons. Here's my ideal selection of Forerunner weapons:

1) The Suppressor would function more or less identically to the Sentinel beam. It could have been used for most general purpose close- to mid-range fighting without being a bullet hose.

2) The Boltshot (which has just enough to distinguish itself from the other handguns; like a magnum, plasma pistol, and shotgun rolled into one, but not wholly like any of those weapons) which would cover popping headshots on Crawlers or for blasting Knights up close. As I'd have all Forerunner weapons be battery powered and capable of overheating, the Boltshot would be slightly more like the plasma pistol in this regard. Rapid semi-auto firing would overheat it, and there'd be a substantial cool-off after firing the charged blast. The battery would be good for up to 50 normal shots or five charged blasts.

3) The Incinerator, which I wouldn't change aside from making it battery-powered (say, 3- or 4-shot battery), would remain the BFG of the arsenal.

4) The Binary Rifle, which I'd make single-shot and battery powered (five-shot battery, plus or minus a shot), would cover all longer-range fighting.

5) The Stasis Rifle, which would make for an interesting support weapon.

6) Perhaps some other unique weapons could be added as well. Perhaps drawing inspiration from some of the more unusual weapons from Perfect Dark, Resistance, or Unreal Tournament could lead to some weapons unlike anything seen in Halo before.

See? Not full parity and more distinct than what we currently have (for example, no true DMR/BR/Carbine equivalent), but you wouldn't be totally without the ability to pop headshots, engage in long-range combat, or deliver extreme punishment in close quarters. Weapons can be made to be more unique and distinct from each other but fill similar (though not identical) roles.

: Speaking of curve balls, one of my recent favorites is in Deus Ex: Human
: Revolution. Have you played it? Don't wanna spoil too much if you haven't
: or plan to.

Haven't played it.

http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

Message Index

Replies:

My review of Halo 4.Gravemind 2/12/13 2:54 a.m.
     Good read, very thorough *NM*SonGoharotto 2/12/13 1:28 p.m.
           Thanks! *NM*Gravemind 2/12/13 2:32 p.m.
     Minor update.Gravemind 2/12/13 3:38 p.m.
     Re: My review of Halo 4.Dielectric 2/12/13 7:37 p.m.
     Could do with an indexRockslider 2/13/13 3:23 p.m.
           Re: Drive-in TotalsGravemind 2/13/13 3:52 p.m.
           Re: Could do with an indexGravemind 2/13/13 11:30 p.m.
                 Re: Could do with an indexRockslider 2/14/13 1:03 p.m.
                       Re: Could do with an indexQuirel 2/14/13 2:33 p.m.
                       Re: Could do with an indexGravemind 2/14/13 5:05 p.m.
                             Re: Could do with an indexRockslider 2/14/13 6:55 p.m.
                                   Re: Could do with an indexGravemind 2/14/13 9:10 p.m.
                                         Re: Could do with an indexRockslider 2/15/13 11:50 a.m.
                                               Re: Could do with an indexGravemind 2/15/13 1:18 p.m.
           Ctrl+F is your friend.Schedonnardus 2/14/13 9:18 a.m.
                 Re: Ctrl+F is your friend.Rockslider 2/14/13 12:08 p.m.
     Re: My review of Halo 4.Quirel 2/13/13 3:57 p.m.
           Re: My review of Halo 4.Gravemind 2/13/13 4:51 p.m.
     Re: My review of Halo 4.Monochron 2/14/13 1:38 p.m.
           Re: My review of Halo 4.Gravemind 2/14/13 5:09 p.m.
     Re: My review of Halo 4.Dervish 2/14/13 5:33 p.m.
           Also, about weapon redundancyDervish 2/14/13 5:41 p.m.
                 Re: Also, about weapon redundancyDef Guru 7777 2/14/13 7:16 p.m.
                 Re: Also, about weapon redundancyGravemind 2/14/13 9:17 p.m.
                       Re: Also, about weapon redundancyDef Guru 7777 2/14/13 11:47 p.m.
                             Re: Also, about weapon redundancyGravemind 2/15/13 3:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Also, about weapon redundancyDef Guru 7777 2/15/13 11:42 a.m.
                                         Re: Also, about weapon redundancyGravemind 2/15/13 11:32 p.m.
                                               Re: Also, about weapon redundancyDef Guru 7777 2/15/13 11:50 p.m.
                                                     Re: Also, about weapon redundancyuberfoop 2/16/13 12:24 a.m.
                                                     Re: Also, about weapon redundancyGravemind 2/16/13 1:51 a.m.
                                                           Oh, and everything uberfoop said. *NM*Gravemind 2/16/13 2:09 a.m.
                                                           Re: Also, about weapon redundancyDef Guru 7777 2/16/13 5:04 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.