glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)
Posted By: Cody MillerDate: 1/5/13 12:47 p.m.

In Response To: Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story) (Avateur)

: I even responded to that thread, but he had nothing to say in reply. I find
: myself agreeing with Cody a lot over the Halo stories and a lot of other
: things around here, but I absolutely disagree with his defense of H4's
: story. :P

I honestly think that the people who had issues with Halo 4's story are probably the ones wrapped up in the Extended Universe. When you look at it, Halo 4 is pretty much the same type of story as Halo 1 in terms of narrative and complexity.

I have been browsing carnage.bungie.org/haloforum since it opened back in 1999, brought over from the Marathon story page. When Halo was released, most of the negative complaints surrounding it were from the folks who loved Marathon's story. The common complaints were that the story was not as complex as Marathon's, and that it was straightforward with a lack of subtlety and scope.

These complaints aren't untrue. In retrospect, everything was figured out pretty quickly, and the human forerunner connection was realized almost immediately (You being a reclaimer, as well as 343 GS' 'All of our lost time' monologue). The things that were speculated about turned out to be either red herrings or still unanswered / unimportant - Was Cortana Lying to Foe Hammer, What did 343 mean about 'last time you asked me' during Two Betrayals? - or rendered irrelevant due to retcons - Why did the Covenant hate and seek to destroy Humanity?

Marathon had a ton more going on 'behind the scenes', but I think that was because of the way it was presented through terminals. Halo 3 had some of that, but not nearly to the degree of Marathon.

Despite that, I think the Halo story was well received. I think you always get bonus points for being the first, since that introduces the world the story is set in and opens your imagination. That's probably why the Marathons were so revered; most of the story happened off screen for your mind to fill in the gaps, but that's the advantage to using text. You can do that visually, but it is generally easier and more effective with text.

I'm not saying Halo 4 had this perfect story, but I think people are comparing it to the complexities of the Extended Universe and finding fault, instead of enjoying the relative simplicity like Halo 1 had. When I say simplicity, all I mean is that there weren't a million threads and characters to follow, or plots and subplots and stuff. It was pretty much an adventure molded after Halo 1, and kind of a real return to where the series started.

I think of it as a beginning just like Halo 1.

Message Index

Replies:

My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 12/29/12 10:10 p.m.
     My H4 review - Spartan OpsAvateur 12/29/12 10:10 p.m.
     My H4 review - MultiplayerAvateur 12/29/12 10:11 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerArteenEsben 12/29/12 11:22 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerPhoenix_9286 12/29/12 11:32 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerSonGoharotto 12/30/12 12:05 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerQuirel 12/30/12 3:14 a.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerStephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/30/12 9:32 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Multiplayerpete_the_duck 12/30/12 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerSIX min WHISTLE 12/31/12 9:07 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerArteenEsben 12/31/12 6:39 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Multiplayeryakaman 12/31/12 11:27 a.m.
     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 8:13 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/1/13 9:57 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)DHalo 1/1/13 10:16 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 11:07 a.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/1/13 12:10 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:43 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/1/13 1:06 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/1/13 3:43 p.m.
                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:50 p.m.
           There's a lot more of Cortana..wink,wink! *NM*Captain Spark 1/1/13 10:09 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/1/13 10:56 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)SonGoharotto 1/1/13 11:25 a.m.
                       Daleks don't use Bluetooth which is INSANE!!!!scarab 1/1/13 12:14 p.m.
                             Insane monsters designed by an insane monsterSonGoharotto 1/1/13 12:22 p.m.
                                   That's evil insane, not stupid insanescarab 1/1/13 1:02 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Quirel 1/1/13 1:48 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/1/13 2:50 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 9:58 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/1/13 1:38 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 2:12 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 2:29 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 3:33 p.m.
                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Gravemind 1/2/13 4:01 p.m.
                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 4:18 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 6:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 7:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/2/13 7:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 7:55 p.m.
                                                                 Relevant pointLeisandir 1/2/13 8:11 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 7:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 9:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 10:04 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 10:01 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 11:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 11:13 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)RC Master 1/3/13 11:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 11:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Louis Wu 1/3/13 12:10 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)RC Master 1/3/13 3:58 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 1:30 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 1:59 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 5:08 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Gravemind 1/3/13 5:37 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 5:58 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 6:24 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:39 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 6:09 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 6:38 p.m.
                                                                                         Ehhhhh . . . . .Leisandir 1/3/13 6:54 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/2/13 10:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 7:15 a.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Louis Wu 1/3/13 9:41 a.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 9:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 3:15 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)stabbim 1/3/13 4:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:54 a.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/3/13 6:58 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/4/13 6:55 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/5/13 12:47 p.m.
                                                                                   ^^agree^^Lawnmower172 1/5/13 1:03 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/5/13 2:31 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/6/13 2:49 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/7/13 4:44 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/6/13 3:15 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/7/13 1:34 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/7/13 4:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Quirel 1/7/13 5:51 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/7/13 7:31 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/2/13 5:09 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 9:34 a.m.
     Single player and Spartan Ops...Bryan Newman 1/2/13 5:39 p.m.
           Re: Single player and Spartan Ops...Avateur 1/2/13 11:02 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.