glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)
Posted By: Bry <bmulheran@gmail.com>Date: 1/2/13 9:33 p.m.

In Response To: Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story) (Rockslider)

: Things that annoy someone on a regular basis are obviously going to have a
: detrimental effect on gameplay for them. A lot of games have such niggles
: don't they? I don't understand why you'd think this animation example
: should be any different.

Having niggles is absolutely fine. I have plenty myself and I've stated just one example about taking issue with the inconsistency of animations in Spartan Ops (which is not just about being in combat or not).
But that's all it is. I've observed it, time to move on.
What I'm taking issue with is how out of proportion its being blown, as far as I'm concerned.
That it would, in any way, influence a persons buying decision or to say it has any significant impact on gameplay baffles me.
Fine, people don't like it, but to suggest it has a real detrimental affect on the experience is making it to be a bit more than just a niggle as far as I'm concerned.

: The old trick of characterizing negative views as 'griping' as a way of
: denigrating the concerns of the speakers is a little depressing to see yet
: again, I have to say. We've been having a perfectly legitimate and
: reasonable discussion. As for "taken way way too far", we've
: just been batting it back and forth a little. It's not as if anyone's
: saying it's their chief concern. Just one concern - albeit one which
: hints at the possibility of further aggravations, as it could be construed
: as reflecting poorly on the developer's judgement.

Let's keep things in perspective here, rather than using the equally old trick of saying that a person who feels others are grumbling is denigrating them and their concerns.

but now you mention this interruption business (which I think I heard something about before), I'm feeling a little less keen to bid!

That's what kicked me off. To be clear, we're talking about 2 second animations that might occur half a dozen times per level (and Halo 4 generally has long levels compared to Reach).
That it would even slightly put you off buying the game, well, I'm sorry, but that is something I'm just not going to understand. Now or ever.
Nor that people would feel this way about the two QTE sequences in the game.

All games have little niggles. There's not a single game I've played that doesn't.
Provided that's all they are though, I don't let them interfere with my enjoyment of a game.
If they did, then they wouldn't just be 'niggles'.
If a game was fundamentally unplayable, was full of bugs and glitches or had any easily encountered fatal ones, fell well short of expectations (Hello Gran Turismo 5), then yeah.
Those are things I'm going be upset about.
If something like these animations really bothered me, I'd have to reflect on my own tastes in gaming, rather than the games themselves.
Had that been the case, I would not have been able to enjoy games like the Arkham Batman's, Skyrim, Crysis 2, Metal Gear Solid... even racing games which routinely take you away from the controls and onto an autopilot when you perform a pit-stop.

Message Index

Replies:

My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 12/29/12 10:10 p.m.
     My H4 review - Spartan OpsAvateur 12/29/12 10:10 p.m.
     My H4 review - MultiplayerAvateur 12/29/12 10:11 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerArteenEsben 12/29/12 11:22 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerPhoenix_9286 12/29/12 11:32 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerSonGoharotto 12/30/12 12:05 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerQuirel 12/30/12 3:14 a.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerStephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/30/12 9:32 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Multiplayerpete_the_duck 12/30/12 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerSIX min WHISTLE 12/31/12 9:07 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerArteenEsben 12/31/12 6:39 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Multiplayeryakaman 12/31/12 11:27 a.m.
     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 8:13 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/1/13 9:57 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)DHalo 1/1/13 10:16 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 11:07 a.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/1/13 12:10 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:43 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/1/13 1:06 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/1/13 3:43 p.m.
                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:50 p.m.
           There's a lot more of Cortana..wink,wink! *NM*Captain Spark 1/1/13 10:09 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/1/13 10:56 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)SonGoharotto 1/1/13 11:25 a.m.
                       Daleks don't use Bluetooth which is INSANE!!!!scarab 1/1/13 12:14 p.m.
                             Insane monsters designed by an insane monsterSonGoharotto 1/1/13 12:22 p.m.
                                   That's evil insane, not stupid insanescarab 1/1/13 1:02 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Quirel 1/1/13 1:48 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/1/13 2:50 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 9:58 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/1/13 1:38 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 2:12 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 2:29 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 3:33 p.m.
                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Gravemind 1/2/13 4:01 p.m.
                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 4:18 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 6:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 7:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/2/13 7:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 7:55 p.m.
                                                                 Relevant pointLeisandir 1/2/13 8:11 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 7:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 9:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 10:04 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 10:01 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 11:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 11:13 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)RC Master 1/3/13 11:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 11:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Louis Wu 1/3/13 12:10 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)RC Master 1/3/13 3:58 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 1:30 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 1:59 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 5:08 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Gravemind 1/3/13 5:37 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 5:58 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 6:24 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:39 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 6:09 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 6:38 p.m.
                                                                                         Ehhhhh . . . . .Leisandir 1/3/13 6:54 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/2/13 10:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 7:15 a.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Louis Wu 1/3/13 9:41 a.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 9:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 3:15 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)stabbim 1/3/13 4:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:54 a.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/3/13 6:58 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/4/13 6:55 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/5/13 12:47 p.m.
                                                                                   ^^agree^^Lawnmower172 1/5/13 1:03 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/5/13 2:31 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/6/13 2:49 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/7/13 4:44 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/6/13 3:15 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/7/13 1:34 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/7/13 4:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Quirel 1/7/13 5:51 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/7/13 7:31 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/2/13 5:09 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 9:34 a.m.
     Single player and Spartan Ops...Bryan Newman 1/2/13 5:39 p.m.
           Re: Single player and Spartan Ops...Avateur 1/2/13 11:02 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.