glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)
Posted By: Avateur <avateur@gmail.com>Date: 1/1/13 1:38 p.m.

In Response To: Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story) (Rockslider)

: I really hate when games keep breaking your control and immersion like
: that. Can you say more about it? Lately I've been bidding on H4 on eBay so
: I can finally say something when people ask me what I think of it, but now
: you mention this interruption business (which I think I heard something
: about before), I'm feeling a little less keen to bid!

Some levels got so boring and repetitive (oh, this gondola stopped, go restart it! Now this one did, too! Go restart it! Go destroy this core! Now that one! Now that other one! Get to this teleporter across the room! Now go to THAT teleporter across the room! Don't forget that OTHER teleporter across that room over there!) that I finally started saying forget it and began just bypassing enemies to get them over with. Then you go and press your button, which stops all of your movement and forces you to watch an animation of your arm reaching out and your finger pressing it, all while getting shot in the back. So much for doing what I did in previous games where I would push a button and keep on running and gunning.

Bry brings up a good point, as far as "realism" goes in terms of pushing buttons while still clearly moving/turning/holding guns, but as we've seen in Halo games, sometimes realism needs to go to keep things fun or to keep the flow of gameplay moving. That or Master Chief should be screwed if a tank flips and shouldn't be allowed to flip it back. And if he does, I want a full on animation of it while everyone shoots and kills him. But that would be silly. And it's my opinion that ripping me out of gameplay to watch myself press a tedious amount of buttons throughout the game is silly, aggravating, and unnecessary. All it does is serve to slow gameplay and break its natural flow.

: CEA had some awful UI too which really aggravated me, not least because
: you'd think it would be such an easy thing to get right . But
: specifically, what aspects of H4's UI annoyed you?

The entire UI is a disaster. I don't even know where to begin. About the only thing I like about it is the easy ability to see my Xbox Live friend's list without bringing up the guide button (which Reach didn't have, instead opting to only show you people online playing Reach with you within the game's UI). Other than that, man. I had no idea that I had to shift up to see challenges and stats. I thought there was just this main screen the whole time. It took myself and a ton of my friends forever to even realize there was a theater/fileshare option below the main UI window.

I think I could do a more expansive and detailed writeup of the UI itself and have it practically equal the length of some of my other posts, but I don't even want to get into it. It's just awful and needs to seriously, seriously be updated. They should just go back and take a look at H2, H3, and Reach and see how to get it right.

: The look of the scenery has indeed encouraged me somewhat. That, and more
: Cortana.

Cortana looks pretty weird/different compared to other games. It doesn't look like a natural transition at all, especially with her face, and I feel that it's jarring. But aside from that, pretty much everyone and everything else in the game looks fantastic.

Message Index

Replies:

My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 12/29/12 10:10 p.m.
     My H4 review - Spartan OpsAvateur 12/29/12 10:10 p.m.
     My H4 review - MultiplayerAvateur 12/29/12 10:11 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerArteenEsben 12/29/12 11:22 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerPhoenix_9286 12/29/12 11:32 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerSonGoharotto 12/30/12 12:05 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerQuirel 12/30/12 3:14 a.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerStephen L. (SoundEffect) 12/30/12 9:32 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Multiplayerpete_the_duck 12/30/12 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerSIX min WHISTLE 12/31/12 9:07 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - MultiplayerArteenEsben 12/31/12 6:39 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Multiplayeryakaman 12/31/12 11:27 a.m.
     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 8:13 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/1/13 9:57 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)DHalo 1/1/13 10:16 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 11:07 a.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/1/13 12:10 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:43 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/1/13 1:06 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/1/13 3:43 p.m.
                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/1/13 3:50 p.m.
           There's a lot more of Cortana..wink,wink! *NM*Captain Spark 1/1/13 10:09 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/1/13 10:56 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)SonGoharotto 1/1/13 11:25 a.m.
                       Daleks don't use Bluetooth which is INSANE!!!!scarab 1/1/13 12:14 p.m.
                             Insane monsters designed by an insane monsterSonGoharotto 1/1/13 12:22 p.m.
                                   That's evil insane, not stupid insanescarab 1/1/13 1:02 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Quirel 1/1/13 1:48 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/1/13 2:50 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 9:58 a.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/1/13 1:38 p.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 2:12 p.m.
                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 2:29 p.m.
                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 3:33 p.m.
                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Gravemind 1/2/13 4:01 p.m.
                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 4:18 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 6:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 7:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/2/13 7:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 7:55 p.m.
                                                                 Relevant pointLeisandir 1/2/13 8:11 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 7:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/2/13 9:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/2/13 10:04 p.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 10:01 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 11:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 11:13 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)RC Master 1/3/13 11:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 11:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Louis Wu 1/3/13 12:10 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)RC Master 1/3/13 3:58 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 1:30 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 1:59 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/3/13 5:08 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Gravemind 1/3/13 5:37 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 5:58 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 6:24 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:39 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 6:09 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/3/13 6:38 p.m.
                                                                                         Ehhhhh . . . . .Leisandir 1/3/13 6:54 p.m.
                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/2/13 10:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Bry 1/3/13 7:15 a.m.
                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Louis Wu 1/3/13 9:41 a.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/3/13 9:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)MacGyver10 1/3/13 3:15 p.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)stabbim 1/3/13 4:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:54 a.m.
                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/3/13 6:58 p.m.
                                                                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)thebruce0 1/4/13 8:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/4/13 6:55 p.m.
                                                                             Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/5/13 12:47 p.m.
                                                                                   ^^agree^^Lawnmower172 1/5/13 1:03 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/5/13 2:31 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/6/13 2:49 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/7/13 4:44 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)uberfoop 1/6/13 3:15 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Cody Miller 1/7/13 1:34 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/7/13 4:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Quirel 1/7/13 5:51 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Avateur 1/7/13 7:31 p.m.
           Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)scarab 1/2/13 5:09 a.m.
                 Re: My H4 review - Campaign (Gameplay and Story)Rockslider 1/2/13 9:34 a.m.
     Single player and Spartan Ops...Bryan Newman 1/2/13 5:39 p.m.
           Re: Single player and Spartan Ops...Avateur 1/2/13 11:02 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.