Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*
Posted By: uberfoopDate: 11/25/12 6:15 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG* (Arithmomaniac)

: You're forgetting that CRTs aren't particularly sharp.

No I'm not. I play on an SD CRT more frequently than I play on an HDTV; my roomie has an HD LCD that I could use, but the image is terrible in every respect beyond pure resolution and it has intolerable input lag, and I vastly prefer the CRT. When I visit home, I use a decent HD LCD.

SD CRT's are only "not sharp" on account of the fact that they're 480i; CRT technology isn't intrinsically blurry, and in fact the fuzzy pixels are a more accurate reconstruction of an image from a signal than the very hard-looking pixels of LCD displays. A good SD CRT can produce a 480-line image from an NTSC signal that's pretty much as sharp as an LCD pulling from that same NTSC signal. The 2000 Sony I use isn't quite there, but it's close. Now, SD CRTs can get a lot worse, but that's more because of poor filtering and slow sampling than anything intrinsic to CRTs; it's just that the TVs use old, cheap signal processing components.

Obviously an SD CRT is going to have a lower-resolution image than an HD flat panel, but that's where my bit about downscaling versus upscaling comes in; Halo 4 is vastly less artifacty on an SD CRT than blown up to 1080p. In high resolution, the shimmering caused by the FXAA is even more in-your-face, the low-resolution backgrounds become extremely obvious, and the blotchy LODed stuff looks like blotchy LODed stuff. By downsampling, you reduce aliasing, and all of this low-detail stuff looks less out of place (though some of it is still fairly obvious, unfortunately). The game simply doesn't rely on enough high-frequency detail to have its style wrecked by moderate downscaling, and it doesn't have a clean enough look (like Mirror's Edge) to be harmed all that badly by the interlacing (at least if you're used to interlacing, which anyone who regularly uses an SD CRT is).

I won't go as far as to say that the game looks better on an SD CRT, because it doesn't, but it's really not bad. Most of the environment art comes through just fine. I would even say that some areas come through better on my Sony SD CRT than on either of the HDTV's I've played Halo 4 on.

: The credits were all
: but illegible.

Yes, but small text always scales worse than everything else; it's intrinsically made of high-frequency detail, and therefore cannot be properly represented on a low-frequency signal. Also, the issue of credits and Forge text is more a dumb font decision on 343i's part than anything else. There's some similarly small text in the game that's perfectly legible on my Sony, and I've talked to people who found the credit/Forge text annoying to look at even on an HDTV.

Most everything else in the game translates pretty well.

: (Not to mention projection distortion

You mean the fishbowled screen? Many SD CRTs from the last decade years or so have almost perfectly flat screens. You can tell that my Sony's screen isn't completely flat if you move your head around and look at how the room reflections move across it, but for all intents and purpose it's pretty much flat.

Fishbowling seriously isn't a big deal once you're used to it anyway. People understandably have a hard time transitioning to it, but in my experience there can be at least some acclimation required when you transition back as well; the acclimation is not entirely due to it being strictly worse. When you're viewing a small screen from a big distance, it's not like the projection is ever especially "correct" anyway, unless you're playing a game with an intolerable, comically low field of view.
In general, fishbowling isn't good, but it's not all that bad either.

: and the occasional
: washed-out color...)

Are you playing in a brightly-lit room with lots of glare? In my experience, CRTs are capable of very rich colour. You don't get "washed-out" results when you produce light directly on coloured phosphors, unless you deliberately turn down your saturation.

Message Index

Replies:

Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Arithmomaniac 11/25/12 12:09 a.m.
     Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Lurono 11/25/12 2:31 a.m.
           Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*uberfoop 11/25/12 3:25 a.m.
                 Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Arithmomaniac 11/25/12 2:37 p.m.
                       Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*uberfoop 11/25/12 6:15 p.m.
                 Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Lurono 11/25/12 4:22 p.m.
           Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Urban Reflex 11/25/12 3:45 a.m.
           Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Leisandir 11/25/12 8:43 a.m.
                 Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Sl'askia 11/25/12 12:26 p.m.
                 Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Lurono 11/25/12 4:38 p.m.
           Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Arithmomaniac 11/25/12 2:34 p.m.
                 Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Lurono 11/25/12 4:48 p.m.
     Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*Ragashingo 11/25/12 9:18 a.m.
           Re: Yet more Halo 4 thoughts *SP* *long* *IMG*DHalo 11/25/12 10:12 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.