Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoni
Posted By: Mid7night <pakrat961@yahoo.com>Date: 10/5/12 1:40 p.m.

In Response To: Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoni (scarab)

: OK but the in-space attitude control system might also be for this. This kind
: of thing would be part of the design (or redesign). Have a system that
: isn't tied to forward flight. Then you wouldn't need hidden control
: surfaces. I don't know how efficient such a system would be but all SF
: craft have thrusters with ridiculous delta Vs so I don't suppose it an
: issue. (Just as the Hornet is overpowered compared to current engine
: technology.)

The Pelican already has control allocations for VTOL, which is similar to spaceflight in the sense that air-control-surfaces are useless. So it has the required controls for space. The "hidden" surfaces are simply to help model in-air flight more simply.

You bring up a great point about delta-V; if you have thrusters large enough for space-maneuvers, they're almost certainly overpowered for in-atmo flight.

Just to clarify; The Hornet isn't overpowered in its own right, it has just enough power. ;) It just has incredibly good thrust/weight ratio compared to today's tech.

: I was thinking of how the Harrier ducts air to (wing tip?) nozzles only, the
: nozzles wouldn't, necessarily, have to use gas ducted from some main
: engine but could be mini-rockets with their own reaction mass delivery
: system.

Yes, I can simulate both scenarios. The problem is that X-Plane has a limited number of 'engine' slots when you create an aircraft (8), so that's why I have to get creative with the Pelican; all 8 engines are used for main thrusters. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

: Do you control the vertical thrust when the pilot moves the X axis? For
: example: increase the proportion of thrust from the front two thrusters
: when the pilot wants to raise the nose.

It uses a combination of thrust-vectoring and differential-thrust (what you described) to control attitude in both hover and forward flight. The pilot also has discreet grouped-control over the vertical and horizontal engines. In my previous Halo2 Pelican, you had only ONE throttle control, and transition from vertical to horizontal was done by transferring thrust from down to aft using the thrust-vector control. This new iteration is more accurate I think to the way the Pelican would behave IRL and how it seems to have worked in-game.

: I don't know what the other people here think but it gives me goose bumps to
: hear how the hornet can actually fly without cheats. I wonder what the
: guys who made it would think if they knew.

I would LOVE to know what the guys at Bungie think of what I've done with their vehicles! I know they're 'aware' of my work, I met Urk a couple times and he knew of my stuff, but I didn't get a feel for what they all thought about it. :)

: Something to aim for. I suppose that 343i or Bungie (or Valve) need to be
: sold on the benefits of having the extra realism. I don't know what the
: other guys here think about the benefits, if it's something they'd like to
: see.

Agreed, a guy can dream. :D

- BSAV -

Message Index

Replies:

Better post this before FUD drops tomorrow...Mid7night 10/4/12 5:00 p.m.
     Re: Better post this before FUD drops tomorrow...Chewbaccawakka 10/4/12 5:08 p.m.
     Is that cockpit view on the right-hand side?RC Master 10/4/12 5:10 p.m.
           I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptonitescarab 10/4/12 5:38 p.m.
                 @Mid7night ^^^^^^^^ *NM*scarab 10/4/12 5:45 p.m.
                 LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniteMid7night 10/4/12 7:57 p.m.
                       Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 5:03 a.m.
                             Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniMid7night 10/5/12 11:14 a.m.
                                   Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 1:09 p.m.
                                         Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniMid7night 10/5/12 1:40 p.m.
                                               Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 4:15 p.m.
                       Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniRC Master 10/5/12 10:02 a.m.
     Great job, dude! *NM*The Lionheart 10/5/12 1:53 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.