Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoni
Posted By: scarabDate: 10/5/12 1:09 p.m.

In Response To: Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoni (Mid7night)

: X-Plane can do just about anything you can imagine. The problem with using
: thrust vectoring for yaw-control in forward flight, is that you lose ALL
: control effectiveness if you throttle back to slow down, because
: thrust-vectoring-control requires THRUST. So a tail, or
: wingtip-drag-device, of some kind is always preferable to thrust-vectoring
: alone.

OK but the in-space attitude control system might also be for this. This kind of thing would be part of the design (or redesign). Have a system that isn't tied to forward flight. Then you wouldn't need hidden control surfaces. I don't know how efficient such a system would be but all SF craft have thrusters with ridiculous delta Vs so I don't suppose it an issue. (Just as the Hornet is overpowered compared to current engine technology.)

I was thinking of how the Harrier ducts air to (wing tip?) nozzles only, the nozzles wouldn't, necessarily, have to use gas ducted from some main engine but could be mini-rockets with their own reaction mass delivery system.

: I COMPLETELY agree with you, that would be incredible! The thing is, it's an
: extra step in the modeling/animation process that you don't strictly need
: to do if you have competent animators. However, I do believe that it
: would return better, more realistic looking results quicker, regardless of
: how talented your animators are. Hmmm...maybe I could market myself on a
: contract-basis to do that for games and movies... ::wheels turning:

I think that adding real world constraints grounds the designs and would produce a better product.

Contract basis would be the way to go. I think a lot of gaming work these days is contract based and the work would be done mostly at vehicle design time with, perhaps, some more work during cutscene production.

: I really doubt they used X-Plane, they probably just eyeballed it. They're
: not too far off plausibility, so they did a good job, but to really use
: X-Plane would take a lot more time and investment than they could have
: probably afforded.

That's why you get contractors, they already have the expertise. One expert could work with several designers. Also have you used VirtualBox? It lets you run virtual machines on a PC. You can run Windows on a Linux box or a Mac, or Linux on a Windows box.

You could setup X-Plane with the correct SDKs and project files installed. Save the VirtualBox session to a file. Then anybody can run that VirtualBox on multiple PCs. So instead of taking ages to setup x-plane on each machine... just install VirtualBox and run the preprepared session. So any developer could do their normal day's work but if they want to investigate how out some changed vehicle flys then they fire up VirtualBox and take the machine for a spin.

You'd probably not get the best graphical performance out of the machine but think of the possibilities of having a portable working environment. You could work at home, take your session to work (if they would allow you) to work on it over lunch, and maybe run it on a relatives' machine if you were visiting.

Setup is normally a PITA but VirtualBox MAY make this a snap. Imagine how that could be used for training purposes. Go to a company, install VB on ten machines, and have ten designers playing with the tools ten minutes later.

Maybe I should ask for commission from Oracle ;-)

: I like to have my controller with me wherever, so I have a Saitek CyborgX,
: because it collapses and folds up nicely.

I used to call that the world's most flexible joystick because of the flex in the handle. :-)

The ST90 was a neat design but doesn't have the axes you need.

Just remembered that the Cyborg X (or F.L.Y.5 as it's now called) has two throttles. And it IS a lot more portable than the HOTASes.

Do you control the vertical thrust when the pilot moves the X axis? For example: increase the proportion of thrust from the front two thrusters when the pilot wants to raise the nose.

: To "smooth it out", I basically can tweak what kind of airfoils the
: wings use, change the angles on the wings, "hide" little
: stabilizer-wings that simulate the airflow over the body, and also tweak
: the stability-augmentation-constants ("Fly-By-Wire"). X-Plane
: has a built-in artificial-stability system that you can apply in different
: flight regimes (low speed/high speed), so that's a big part of the
: tweaking.

It does sound pretty powerful.

: X-Plane can give you WAY more info than you could ever want. With the right
: tools, you basically have access to every variable that X-Plane uses. It's
: FAR more powerful and accurate than FlightGear.

Ah so it's not just that x-plane has a larger user base.

: I've spent a LOT of my time in X-Plane modeling "weird"
: configurations, just to see if they could actually work, given real-world
: physics. The Hornet is one of my favorites, because I didn't 'cheat'
: ANYthing; all of the applied forces and controls are right where you see
: them, nothing is hidden. And it's SO much fun to fly!! Granted, the
: power/size ratio that the Hornet has is unrealistic for today's tech, but
: that's a tech-level problem, not strictly a physics-one.

I don't know what the other people here think but it gives me goose bumps to hear how the hornet can actually fly without cheats. I wonder what the guys who made it would think if they knew.

: I would LOVE to be that advisor... :D

Something to aim for. I suppose that 343i or Bungie (or Valve) need to be sold on the benefits of having the extra realism. I don't know what the other guys here think about the benefits, if it's something they'd like to see.

Message Index

Replies:

Better post this before FUD drops tomorrow...Mid7night 10/4/12 5:00 p.m.
     Re: Better post this before FUD drops tomorrow...Chewbaccawakka 10/4/12 5:08 p.m.
     Is that cockpit view on the right-hand side?RC Master 10/4/12 5:10 p.m.
           I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptonitescarab 10/4/12 5:38 p.m.
                 @Mid7night ^^^^^^^^ *NM*scarab 10/4/12 5:45 p.m.
                 LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniteMid7night 10/4/12 7:57 p.m.
                       Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 5:03 a.m.
                             Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniMid7night 10/5/12 11:14 a.m.
                                   Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 1:09 p.m.
                                         Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniMid7night 10/5/12 1:40 p.m.
                                               Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 4:15 p.m.
                       Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniRC Master 10/5/12 10:02 a.m.
     Great job, dude! *NM*The Lionheart 10/5/12 1:53 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.