Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoni
Posted By: scarabDate: 10/5/12 5:03 a.m.

In Response To: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptonite (Mid7night)

: The cockpit you see in the video is the leftover cockpit from my old Halo2
: version. I haven't gotten around to filling out the Halo3 cockpit just
: yet, but here's a couple screenshots of the actual interior:

:

: It's...touchy. ;)
: The flight surfaces are perfectly adequate for control in forward flight,
: however it's a bit unstable due to the odd configuration and wing angles.
: The only fudging required is due to the lack of any vertical surfaces, so
: I have to "bury" some hidden vertical tails to give it
: directional stability.

I'm not a pilot but I assume that the vertical surfaces control yaw, could that be done via thrust vectoring of the rear thrusters? Does X-Plane understand thrust vectoring? Given that Pelicans can operate in space you would think that they would need thrusters to supply complete attitude control (unless they use gyros). Even as a non-plot I noticed the lack of vertical control surfaces.

A Halo 5 Pelican redesign should take account of these issues. The Pelican look realistic (ignoring obvious lack of vertical control surfaces) and the UNSC kit, in general, has a real world vibe. And the Halo engine is very much a simulation engine. I think that 343i should take advantage of this. They should make sure that the UNSC aircraft can actually fly fairly well. Model them in X-Plane. Where X-Plane has difficulty in modeling aspects of the craft then use the Halo engine. (I'm thinking vectored thrust here, though maybe X-Plane can model vectored thrust, I just don't know what it can do.)

Point is: if they do the work to make the craft fly well then the effort pay off in these ways:

• it will probably create a finished craft that just looks right
  • The movements of control surfaces and thrusters would be correct for the movements that the craft makes
  • cinematics could be created by having actual pilots fly the craft and 'motion capture' their control inputs so that things look more realistic
  • 343i would get bragging rights given that their stuff actually flys
  • they could even release X-Plane models for immediate use when the game ships

: Also, because the body most certainly has some,
: interesting aerodynamics, (due to the aft-body, mostly) I have to use one
: more hidden wing to help approximate the effects, because X-Plane doesn't
: analyze the 3D-flow around the body.

: Mostly, there's nothing major being faked, and this version is a major
: improvement over my previous one. The main thing that bugged me about my
: first Pelican was that I really had to fake the main thruster positions
: and orientations. THIS time, the Pelican has eight thrusters all located
: exactly where you see them,

Do you think someone at Bungie considered this and put them where they were needed? I wonder if they just eyeballed it or used X-Plane or the Halo engine itself (given that it could simulate center of gravity, center of mass, etc)

: and I wrote a plugin that allows you to
: control the vertical and horizontal engines separately with just two
: throttles.

What controller did you use? An X65/X45? or a throttle quadrant? or ?

: It's a lot more stable in hover and transition than the previous version, but
: I still have some work to do to smooth out forward flight.

What kind of work could you do to smooth it out? Are you doing fly by wire? Can you read the craft's attitude and momentum and try to moderate thrust based on feedback from the simulation? or are you talking about little tweaks?

How much info does X-Plane give you?

Have you tried FlightGear? That link describes a vertical takeoff in a Harrier. I don't know if they fake the vectored thrust or actually model it properly. The features page suggests that it does some of the aerodynamic modeling that X-Plane does.

And, being open source, you would have access to all the info you'd want. If the current build won't provide what you need then modify the source. I assume that you are comfortable in C from your x-plane plugin DLL work.

: THAT, would be AWESOME! :D

Totally :-) And they'd need an advisor to get them up to speed. I wonder how many people at 343i or Bungie are into flight sims? I don't recall anybody mentioning such an interest in interviews.

Message Index

Replies:

Better post this before FUD drops tomorrow...Mid7night 10/4/12 5:00 p.m.
     Re: Better post this before FUD drops tomorrow...Chewbaccawakka 10/4/12 5:08 p.m.
     Is that cockpit view on the right-hand side?RC Master 10/4/12 5:10 p.m.
           I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptonitescarab 10/4/12 5:38 p.m.
                 @Mid7night ^^^^^^^^ *NM*scarab 10/4/12 5:45 p.m.
                 LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniteMid7night 10/4/12 7:57 p.m.
                       Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 5:03 a.m.
                             Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniMid7night 10/5/12 11:14 a.m.
                                   Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 1:09 p.m.
                                         Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniMid7night 10/5/12 1:40 p.m.
                                               Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's Kryptoniscarab 10/5/12 4:15 p.m.
                       Re: LOL: I think cockpits are Mid7night's KryptoniRC Master 10/5/12 10:02 a.m.
     Great job, dude! *NM*The Lionheart 10/5/12 1:53 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.