Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

An alternative presentation...
Posted By: OldNick <nmascall@btinternet.com>Date: 2/10/12 10:49 p.m.

In Response To: Re: teaser Galaxy Map underway (Stephen L. (SoundEffect))

Sad to hear that they've messed up the starmap so badly. Makes me wish I'd completed my own multi-universe mapping project…

Without wishing to steal Stephen's well-deserved thunder (how could I possibly do that : ), here are a few screenshots from my own neglected/abandoned project to do something similar in 3D. It's a hand-flyable model of the local stellar and galactic neighbourhood, with the local galaxies mapped in rather sketchily. Like Stephen, I ran into serious problems trying to find a good way of representing large-scale galactic structure, and I never got around to solving them.

The first picture shows the view from the solar system looking in the general direction of Epsilon Eridani (Reach's star), which appears just above the centre labelled '18 Eps Eri K2V'. The HUD elements are all functional rather than decorative, providing depth cues and 3D spatial awareness.

The second image is the reciprocal of the first, with the viewpoint at Epsllon Eridani looking back towards the Sun. Since the Sun is centred, the depth cue display shows a countdown clock indicating that in the current 'gear' I'd take just over 3 seconds (at 1 parsec per second) to reach the Sun if I 'dropped the clutch', so to speak. Speed is continuously variable from a few km/sec (for messing about in low planetary orbit) to multiple megaparsecs/sec (useful for getting about on the intergalactic scale), and you fly the viewpoint around using the mouse.

It's a C++ application using GLUT (which just goes to show how out of date I am), running on my ageing MacBook Pro. The (scratch) database is based on a filtered version of the Hipparcos catalogue plus added nearby stars, a total of about 100000 objects, plus (I think) 20-30 nearby galaxy placeholders. Everything is drawn to scale. Of course, they don't all get drawn at once since the idea is to give a naturalistic 'human-eye' view, rather than a schematic map.

I'd intended to develop it as a commercial product which would allow SF fans to label stars with fictional names and explore their favourite universes (and earn me some badly-needed money), but when I started talking to SF authors about it I realised that I really hadn't thought through the IP implications. It came as a bit of a blow.

The images have turned out a little smaller than full size. I'm afraid I'm a total noob at this image uploading/hosting lark.

Message Index

Replies:

teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 8:27 p.m.
     O.OZackDark 2/8/12 8:57 p.m.
           Re: O.OStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 9:10 p.m.
                 No GPU?ZackDark 2/8/12 9:16 p.m.
                       Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 9:50 p.m.
                             Re: No GPU?ZackDark 2/9/12 10:02 a.m.
                                   Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 11:42 a.m.
                                         Re: No GPU?ZackDark 2/9/12 12:05 p.m.
                                               Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 1:54 p.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwaySeraph XXVII 2/8/12 10:21 p.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 5:40 a.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDEEP NNN 2/9/12 6:31 a.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 6:50 a.m.
                 Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDEEP NNN 2/9/12 7:02 a.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 8:01 a.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDragonclaws 2/9/12 6:25 p.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 6:35 a.m.
                 Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 3:23 p.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayZackDark 2/10/12 5:09 p.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 5:39 p.m.
                                   Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 6:44 p.m.
                                         Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 7:55 p.m.
                                               Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 9:45 p.m.
                                                     An alternative presentation...OldNick 2/10/12 10:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: An alternative presentation...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/11/12 9:01 a.m.
                                                                 Re: An alternative presentation...OldNick 2/11/12 11:52 a.m.
                                                                       Re: An alternative presentation...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/11/12 12:24 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.