Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: teaser Galaxy Map underway
Posted By: Stephen L. (SoundEffect) <soundeffect@hotmail.com>Date: 2/10/12 5:14 p.m.

In Response To: Re: teaser Galaxy Map underway (Paused)

: Interesting the Reach is considered to be on Earth's doorstep, and the last
: thing between to covies and Earth. Yet Arcadia, which is a stones throw
: away from Reach, and only slightly further from Earth than Reach is, seems
: to be considered almost insignificant by both sides.

Reach was the first human colony outside the Sol system but there were a few potentials as close or closer. Keep in mind that the developers of Halo and the authors had nothing like this when they started Halo going. Most of their choices for colonies lacked at least a little forethought to choosing sensible star systems. Like how Harvest is supposed to be a far Outer Colony, yet it's right next to Earth and Madrigal is supposed to be the nearest colony to Harvest yet it's way high up on the map beyond what I could screencap and keep it legible.

Keep in mind also that this map accurately shows the distances from each star on it from Sol, not from one another. The Z axis is ignored so Arcadia is actually a little 'above' the map while Reach is actually 'below' the map. The visual distance you see between Sol and Arcadia and Sol and Reach are accurate. The distance between Arcadia and Reach are not. (That distance is actually 11.5 light years between them.)

The colonies were not chosen well so far. The description of Inner and Outer Colonies were supposed to be going further from Earth. Yet Reach and Arcadia are about the same distance and one's an Inner Colony and one's an Outer. Go figure.

: I have to admit I didn't realize the site for the big Borg battle was closer
: to Earth than Reach was either.

Wolf 359 is an actual star in the sky in the Constellation Leo and it is very close to Sol (hence why it was chosen by Starfleet to make a last stand against the Borg) but it's an unremarkable red dwarf star and not very bright. Likely no planets or at least any capable of supporting human life. I included it because it was close. I sent a copy of the map to 343i a year ago so if they did want to use more colonies around actual stars, they have some to choose from that make sense to their stories.

: Not that High Charity is a stationary capitol, but which direction on the map
: is the 'heart' of the covie empire?

Unfortunately we don't know yet but my educated guess would be down from Sol and to the right. The only Covenant system we do know is the Jackal homeworld which I did include on the map and is in that location. We also know the Forerunners had a run in with the Prophets early on and the Orion Complex (star-forming region of the Orion Nebula) is in that same south-easterly direction on the map, away from the galactic center. (I'm assuming the Forerunners are from the Orion Nebula...what else could the Orion Complex refer to?)

The conclusion I've come to to help explain the mess that is the known Haloverse, since the Covenant has attacked colonies all around Sol rather than a steady advancement from a more-or-less single direction is that Covenant space lies overall above or below the galactic plane. That would give them access to colonies around Sol without them having singles Sol out specifically in the past. Turns out the Jackal world Y'Deio is below the plane so lets say the Covenant is below the plane of the galaxy? :)

: Oh and as everyone else says; yeah, man your awesome.

Uh...thanks. :)

My HBO Articles

Message Index

Replies:

teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 8:27 p.m.
     O.OZackDark 2/8/12 8:57 p.m.
           Re: O.OStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 9:10 p.m.
                 No GPU?ZackDark 2/8/12 9:16 p.m.
                       Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/8/12 9:50 p.m.
                             Re: No GPU?ZackDark 2/9/12 10:02 a.m.
                                   Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 11:42 a.m.
                                         Re: No GPU?ZackDark 2/9/12 12:05 p.m.
                                               Re: No GPU?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 1:54 p.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwaySeraph XXVII 2/8/12 10:21 p.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 5:40 a.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDEEP NNN 2/9/12 6:31 a.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 6:50 a.m.
                 Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDEEP NNN 2/9/12 7:02 a.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/9/12 8:01 a.m.
     Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayDragonclaws 2/9/12 6:25 p.m.
           Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 6:35 a.m.
                 Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 3:23 p.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayZackDark 2/10/12 5:09 p.m.
                       Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 5:39 p.m.
                                   Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 6:44 p.m.
                                         Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayPaused 2/10/12 7:55 p.m.
                                               Re: teaser Galaxy Map underwayStephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/10/12 9:45 p.m.
                                                     An alternative presentation...OldNick 2/10/12 10:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: An alternative presentation...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/11/12 9:01 a.m.
                                                                 Re: An alternative presentation...OldNick 2/11/12 11:52 a.m.
                                                                       Re: An alternative presentation...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/11/12 12:24 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.