glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: DMR Study Update #3 (aka for Hoovaloov)
Posted By: RC MasterDate: 1/23/12 9:49 p.m.

In Response To: Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop) (Hoovaloov)

: Before I answer this, let me quote you from later in your post:

: So first you
: use the Normal Distribution results to prove your point, and then say the
: Normal Distribution results aren't accurate? If the latter is true, then
: you can't arrive at the former conclusion, and vice versa.

It was a two leveled critique. One that you should treat it fairly if you're going to include it, and two that even if you do, I don't think it has much relevence anyway. One does not preclude the other.

: Therefore, my results in Update #2 where I re-examine the Win Percentage of
: Pacing using uberfoop’s suggestion is more likely to give us true, “real
: world” percentages. After all, I repeated the random pairing 1,000 times,
: so we should get a very accurate result of pacing win percentage.

Could you talk a little about how you made that? I looked at the spreadsheet and it wasn't immediately obvious to me. Did you generate the random numbers over and over and manually copy over the totals to the table on the right?

: Therefore, my conclusions are not only upheld, but improved. Compared to 100%
: bloom, 85% bloom discourages trigger spamming at short and medium range,
: and there is virtually no difference at long range.

Hold up. Firstly, the quoted margin of difference is rather a retreat from the initial conclusions of your article: where the difference at short and medium range was 12% points, not 10.7% and 6.4%. To declare your conclusion now stronger seems illogical unless you are using some other frame of reference?

Odds are at short range that spamming will still win, even if the rate is reduced. At medium range, pacing was always predicted to win overall, though your data suggests that rate is now increased Though you have not presented a line of reasoning that suggests this difference is detectible at the gameplay level and does, in fact, achieve your stated conclusion of discouraging spamming.

: Right, if I fire the DMR properly, it will make it MORE likely for a spammer
: to lose in either bloom setting.

But wasn't the premise of the article the rate difference between the two? Does 100%'s extra expansion and error rate with spamming make the final headshot a pacer can achieve more important than in 85%? Goes back to more testing needed.

: Well, what if the other guy misses? You can't just assume I miss and the
: other doesn't.

Spammers have larger targets and can recover more quickly (max ROF - 12 frames) from a missed shot than a pacer can (must wait for reset). Yes, we can look at the case that they both miss a shot (reticle completely off-target). Maybe even two. What happens then?

: The target doesn't matter, I just picked a small one to emphasize the
: results. If 85% bloom made spamming WAY more accurate than 100% bloom at
: long range, we should see it easier if we aim for a small target instead
: of a big one. More signal to noise, in other words.

On the same token let me quote you:

: Right, if I fire the DMR properly, it will make it MORE likely for a spammer
: to lose in either bloom setting.

: Yes, but you're not looking at the whole picture. You're picking specific
: examples to prove a point.

The point I'm proving is that you're not looking at the whole picture either :)

: Yes, I will definitely let you have the maps and gametypes. I would love to
: see more studies like this.

Cool :)

: My hypothesis on which weapon to use will be the Needle Rifle for all ranges,
: with about 3 or 4 spammed bodyshots + 1 headshot for short and medium
: range. At long range, 2 spammed body shots, pause, 2 spam bodyshot+ 1
: headshot.

Part in bold: for the DMR? The DMR only becomes a 4 shot if you've taken any other shield damage (which is funky). Needle Rifle is 6 shots on it's own with bleedthrough, 9 with body shots.

Message Index

Replies:

Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorHoovaloov 1/17/12 6:22 a.m.
     Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorDEEP NNN 1/17/12 7:27 a.m.
           Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorHoovaloov 1/17/12 7:46 a.m.
     Your analysis is grossly incompleteRC Master 1/17/12 10:12 a.m.
           Also, a problem of definition.uberfoop 1/17/12 11:30 a.m.
                 Re: Also, a problem of definition.Hoovaloov 1/17/12 4:59 p.m.
                       Re: Also, a problem of definition.RC Master 1/17/12 7:49 p.m.
                             Re: Also, a problem of definition.Hoovaloov 1/17/12 8:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Also, a problem of definition.RC Master 1/18/12 9:35 a.m.
                                         Re: Also, a problem of definition.Hoovaloov 1/18/12 4:29 p.m.
                                               Re: Also, a problem of definition.RC Master 1/20/12 9:48 p.m.
           Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 12:32 p.m.
                 Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 12:33 p.m.
                 Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteSchooly D 1/17/12 1:11 p.m.
                       Re: Your analysis is grossly incompletekatancik 1/17/12 1:36 p.m.
                             Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:30 p.m.
                       Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 2:26 p.m.
                             Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:36 p.m.
                                   Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 6:12 p.m.
                                         Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 6:28 p.m.
                                         Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/18/12 1:56 a.m.
                       Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:21 p.m.
                 Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:14 p.m.
           Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 4:54 p.m.
                 Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteuberfoop 1/17/12 5:13 p.m.
                       Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:19 p.m.
                             Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteuberfoop 1/17/12 7:32 p.m.
                                   Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 8:21 p.m.
                                   Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/18/12 2:03 a.m.
                                   DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)Hoovaloov 1/20/12 7:42 a.m.
                                         Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)uberfoop 1/20/12 2:00 p.m.
                                               Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)Hoovaloov 1/20/12 5:16 p.m.
                                         Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)RC Master 1/20/12 2:29 p.m.
                                               Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)Hoovaloov 1/20/12 6:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: DMR Study Update #3 (aka for Hoovaloov)RC Master 1/23/12 9:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: DMR Study Update #3 (aka for Hoovaloov)Hoovaloov 1/24/12 5:10 a.m.
                                                                 Edit: "pacehot" should be "headshot"Hoovaloov 1/24/12 11:39 a.m.
                                                                 re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/27/12 6:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Hoovaloov 1/28/12 6:20 a.m.
                                                                             Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/28/12 11:28 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Gravemind 1/28/12 2:01 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/28/12 5:52 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Gravemind 1/28/12 10:39 p.m.
                                                                                                     Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenHoovaloov 1/31/12 4:09 p.m.
                                                                                                           I agree but...Spec ops Grunt 1/31/12 4:38 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I agree but...Hoovaloov 1/31/12 4:45 p.m.
                                                                                                           No no no no no no!!!Bryan Newman 1/31/12 5:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: No no no no no no!!!Phoenix_9286 1/31/12 6:13 p.m.
                                                                                                                       I meant no disrespect...Bryan Newman 1/31/12 6:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: No no no no no no!!!kidtsunami 1/31/12 6:13 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenSEspider 1/31/12 9:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenSpec ops Grunt 1/31/12 9:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenRC Master 2/1/12 5:41 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenHoovaloov 2/1/12 12:33 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenGravemind 2/3/12 4:06 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)General Vagueness 1/29/12 12:03 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/29/12 12:42 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)General Vagueness 1/29/12 12:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/29/12 12:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)General Vagueness 1/30/12 2:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/30/12 9:59 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Hoovaloov 1/30/12 9:22 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 2/1/12 6:46 a.m.
                                                                                               All this said...RC Master 2/1/12 6:53 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 7:43 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 2:49 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: All this said...Louis Wu 2/1/12 3:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 3:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                             even if we hate the TUkidtsunami 2/1/12 3:50 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: even if we hate the TUHoovaloov 2/1/12 4:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: even if we hate the TUFyreWulff 2/2/12 12:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: even if we hate the TUGravemind 2/1/12 6:52 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: All this said...CaneCutter 2/1/12 4:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Make "me" the happiest... *NM*CaneCutter 2/1/12 4:49 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: All this said...Gravemind 2/1/12 6:42 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 7:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: All this said...Gravemind 2/2/12 2:23 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: All this said... *IMG*Hoovaloov 2/2/12 3:28 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: All this said...RC Master 2/2/12 6:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: All this said...Gravemind 2/2/12 7:36 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         wut?RC Master 2/2/12 7:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: wut?Gravemind 2/2/12 8:28 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Oh, wow...RC Master 2/2/12 9:21 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 3:52 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 4:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 5:54 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: All this said...RC Master 2/1/12 6:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 6:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: All this said...Louis Wu 2/1/12 6:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               ditto *NM*kidtsunami 2/1/12 6:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 6:58 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 6:47 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 6:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 8:28 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 4:08 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Hoovaloov 2/1/12 2:02 p.m.
     Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorDEEP NNN 1/17/12 5:04 p.m.
           Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:28 p.m.
                 Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorDEEP NNN 1/17/12 6:13 p.m.
     More numbers, better pictureRC Master 1/17/12 7:43 p.m.
           Blog Post UpdatedHoovaloov 1/18/12 1:27 a.m.
                 You misunderstand what the median is...RC Master 1/18/12 9:51 a.m.
                       Chart Updated with MediansHoovaloov 1/18/12 10:18 p.m.
     Apparently I'm a troll?RC Master 1/20/12 6:43 p.m.
           Dude. *NM*kanbo 1/20/12 6:54 p.m.
           Re: Apparently I'm a troll?DEEP NNN 1/20/12 7:04 p.m.
           I think there was trolling involved.NsU Soldier 1/20/12 7:08 p.m.
           Re: Apparently I'm a troll?SonofMacPhisto 1/20/12 7:08 p.m.
           Re: Apparently I'm a troll?Flynn J Taggart 1/20/12 8:54 p.m.
           Re: Apparently I'm a troll?Hoovaloov 1/25/12 6:45 p.m.
     DMR Study Maps+Gametypes Available In File ShareHoovaloov 1/27/12 3:29 a.m.
           Re: DMR Study Maps+Gametypes Available In File ShaRC Master 1/27/12 6:16 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.