Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Your analysis is grossly incomplete
Posted By: HoovaloovDate: 1/17/12 4:54 p.m.

In Response To: Your analysis is grossly incomplete (RC Master)

: Lower bound, upper bound, 1st quartile, median, mode, 3rd quartile,
: inter-quartile range, upper bound, range.

Lower and upper bounds are easy to spot, just look at the top and bottom of each column of data.

: Mean average is susceptible to unfair skew from extreme values. Crunch the
: numbers, and I doubt you will see the same picture.

Median and Mode don't perform well in such a small sample size. For example, in the Long Range 85% bloom data set, the Mode is 7 shots, but that only occurs 5 times out of the 25 kills. That throws out 80% of the data if you look at Mode. Median suffers the same problems in a small sample size. To truly have a good Median, I would need a much larger sample, and this analysis already took forever.

But if you would like to crunch the numbers further, I encourage it. I have provided the raw data, and I think you can download your own version of the spreadsheet under the File menu of the Google Doc. I would even be willing to provide the gametypes and maps I used if you want to add data to this set.

Regardless of averages/medians/modes/etc., if you look at the number of paced wins for each range in 100% and 85%, it is clear that 85% increased the number of paced wins. Below, I explain that calculating the number of paced wins is a viable statistic, regardless of how they are sorted.

: To be clear, simply running them off side-by-side from quickest to slowest
: and declaring a victor in each case is fallacious since by the random
: nature, ANY of the pacer's times could go up against ANY of the spammer's
: times. More relevent is the skew and range to see how it would work out
: fight after fight - the picture you will see by working out the values at
: the beginning of my post.

Interestingly enough, instead of comparing fastest paced and fastest spammed all the way to slowest paced and slowest spammed, if I reverse one data set and compare fastest and slowest all the way to slowest and fastest, it results in the exact same amount of paced wins for every data set. Since any pacer's times CAN go against any spammer's times, and since the method of sorting did not change the results, I decided to leave it sorted. Therefore, my method of determining the amount of pacing wins is viable.

: I'd also like to see you run the numbers for a TU Needle Rifle alongside
: these. I hasten to note that I already believe it will match or outclass
: the TU DMR in every category.

I agree, the Needle Rifle is its own strange beast. But since the DMR is the most common starting weapon in Matchmaking, and NR starts are only in gametypes with Elites, I determined that I should leave out the NR. Plus, this study took a long time as it was. :)

: Additionally, 'pacing' and 'spamming' aren't the only two ways to use a DMR
: either. You can 'spam' the first 4 shots at the body as fast as you can,
: and then aim the final shot at the head. The amount of time you wait for
: the reticle reset for this 5th shot can vary as well - since demonstrated
: by the spam data, you still have a large chance to hit the head with a
: large reticle. Your technique (or mistakes) can mean the 5th shot is 100%
: accurate or your target's head may only make up a fraction. Basically -
: it's more complicated than you're making it seem.

I realize that purely pacing and purely spamming aren't the only ways to use the DMR. But if I started mixing in spammed shots to the paced, and paced shots to the spam, it would muddy the results. In fact, the absolute fastest way to kill someone is likely 3 spammed shots to the body, a short pause, another shot to the body, followed by a quick headshot. Or some other combination of spam and pace.

: Your data is also incomplete. You mention that "I also compared the
: probability of a spammed headshot kill in each of these groups." -
: while we can conclude that spammed kills which took 6 or less shots
: definitely resulted in a final headshot, we do not know if kills which
: took 6 or more shots included shots which outright MISSED, or shots which
: only hit the body. If they missed, their target has an opportunity to stay
: zoomed in for an extra returning shot, reducing their cone of fire and
: making them more accurate. If they still hit, but were body hits, this
: still causes damage, making the target weaker for teammates or for you if
: the target fails to pick up a healthpack before your next encounter.

The data is not incomplete, I just didn't spell out everything for you.

In either bloom setting, 5 shots is the minimum it takes to kill without any missed shots (4 body + 1 headshot).

In 100% bloom, 8 shots is the maximum it takes to kill without any missed shots (8 bodyshots + 0 headshot). So anything under 8 resulted in a headshot in 100% bloom. Anything 8 or over doesn't really matter, headshot or not, since that last bullet would kill either way.

In 85% bloom, 7 shots is the maximum it takes to kill without any missed shots (due to damage bleedthrough). So anything under 7 resulted in a headshot in 85% bloom. Anything 7 or over doesn't really matter, headshot or not, since that last bullet would kill either way.

Since I provided the number of shots for each kill, it's a matter of simple math to figure out how many shots missed for any giving data point. Just subtract 8 from 100% bloom results, and 7 from 85% bloom results.

But the number of headshots is not very important if one method or the other is winning the majority of the battles. And I've shown that 85% bloom increases the number of pacing wins for each range.

: Furthermore, your methodology is incomplete: are these kills zoomed,
: unzoomed. Did you change depending upon range? For what justification? Are
: you aiming at the head for both pacing and spammed? For what
: justification? (the body is a larger target for both of them and location
: of shooting does not matter for the first 4 shots in both TU and Default).

All shots were fired unzoomed across all ranges. Why would I even think to change the zoom? I showed my setup in the picture. Yes, as I stated in my Methods, I aimed at the head. I do not think it matters how big the size of the target is as long as I used the same target for all tests. If I used a bigger target, it would probably dampen the results since the whole point of the test is to determine accuracy, and aiming for a big target makes all the shots more likely to hit. So a small target would more clearly show if 85% bloom was increasing or decreasing the accuracy of spammed shots.

: Finally, average ping across all matches was quoted as 100ms in Halo 3 - or
: about 3 frames. I know of no reason to assume this has changed in Reach.
: You can mutually headshot one another in Reach (i've seen it) - I am
: uncertain as to the level of in-built tolerance the game has for this (no.
: of frames) but empirically it is there to some degree. Therefore,
: declaring outright 'victory' for one side or the other when the difference
: is within +/-3 frames is probably fallacious. So, for example, even within
: your flawed run-off, the short-range, TU category should have a good 6
: rows of 'neither' winning.

This test was performed in an XBL lobby, but since the game included just me and a guest (clearly visible in the picture), then the game was hosted on my Xbox, the same as a Local Lobby.

Since Reach is a completely rebuilt engine, we have no reason to assume that anything is the same as Halo 3, even online "tolerances." But I agree there is some amount of "tolerance" for headshots that can result in simultaneous deaths. Since I do not know this tolerance, we can't determine how it affects the results.

: P.S. the Medium range, 85% bloom, pacing category is not sorted.

Thanks for the heads-up, I have fixed it. (Notice that sorting it didn't affect the amount of pacing wins!).

Message Index

Replies:

Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorHoovaloov 1/17/12 6:22 a.m.
     Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorDEEP NNN 1/17/12 7:27 a.m.
           Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorHoovaloov 1/17/12 7:46 a.m.
     Your analysis is grossly incompleteRC Master 1/17/12 10:12 a.m.
           Also, a problem of definition.uberfoop 1/17/12 11:30 a.m.
                 Re: Also, a problem of definition.Hoovaloov 1/17/12 4:59 p.m.
                       Re: Also, a problem of definition.RC Master 1/17/12 7:49 p.m.
                             Re: Also, a problem of definition.Hoovaloov 1/17/12 8:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Also, a problem of definition.RC Master 1/18/12 9:35 a.m.
                                         Re: Also, a problem of definition.Hoovaloov 1/18/12 4:29 p.m.
                                               Re: Also, a problem of definition.RC Master 1/20/12 9:48 p.m.
           Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 12:32 p.m.
                 Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 12:33 p.m.
                 Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteSchooly D 1/17/12 1:11 p.m.
                       Re: Your analysis is grossly incompletekatancik 1/17/12 1:36 p.m.
                             Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:30 p.m.
                       Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 2:26 p.m.
                             Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:36 p.m.
                                   Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 6:12 p.m.
                                         Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteFyreWulff 1/17/12 6:28 p.m.
                                         Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/18/12 1:56 a.m.
                       Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:21 p.m.
                 Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:14 p.m.
           Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 4:54 p.m.
                 Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteuberfoop 1/17/12 5:13 p.m.
                       Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:19 p.m.
                             Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteuberfoop 1/17/12 7:32 p.m.
                                   Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/17/12 8:21 p.m.
                                   Re: Your analysis is grossly incompleteHoovaloov 1/18/12 2:03 a.m.
                                   DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)Hoovaloov 1/20/12 7:42 a.m.
                                         Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)uberfoop 1/20/12 2:00 p.m.
                                               Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)Hoovaloov 1/20/12 5:16 p.m.
                                         Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)RC Master 1/20/12 2:29 p.m.
                                               Re: DMR Study Update #2 (aka for uberfoop)Hoovaloov 1/20/12 6:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: DMR Study Update #3 (aka for Hoovaloov)RC Master 1/23/12 9:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: DMR Study Update #3 (aka for Hoovaloov)Hoovaloov 1/24/12 5:10 a.m.
                                                                 Edit: "pacehot" should be "headshot"Hoovaloov 1/24/12 11:39 a.m.
                                                                 re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/27/12 6:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Hoovaloov 1/28/12 6:20 a.m.
                                                                             Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/28/12 11:28 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Gravemind 1/28/12 2:01 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/28/12 5:52 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Gravemind 1/28/12 10:39 p.m.
                                                                                                     Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenHoovaloov 1/31/12 4:09 p.m.
                                                                                                           I agree but...Spec ops Grunt 1/31/12 4:38 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I agree but...Hoovaloov 1/31/12 4:45 p.m.
                                                                                                           No no no no no no!!!Bryan Newman 1/31/12 5:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: No no no no no no!!!Phoenix_9286 1/31/12 6:13 p.m.
                                                                                                                       I meant no disrespect...Bryan Newman 1/31/12 6:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: No no no no no no!!!kidtsunami 1/31/12 6:13 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenSEspider 1/31/12 9:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenSpec ops Grunt 1/31/12 9:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenRC Master 2/1/12 5:41 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenHoovaloov 2/1/12 12:33 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Whole Sandbox Is Not BrokenGravemind 2/3/12 4:06 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)General Vagueness 1/29/12 12:03 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/29/12 12:42 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)General Vagueness 1/29/12 12:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/29/12 12:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)General Vagueness 1/30/12 2:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 1/30/12 9:59 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Hoovaloov 1/30/12 9:22 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)RC Master 2/1/12 6:46 a.m.
                                                                                               All this said...RC Master 2/1/12 6:53 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 7:43 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 2:49 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: All this said...Louis Wu 2/1/12 3:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 3:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                             even if we hate the TUkidtsunami 2/1/12 3:50 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: even if we hate the TUHoovaloov 2/1/12 4:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: even if we hate the TUFyreWulff 2/2/12 12:39 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: even if we hate the TUGravemind 2/1/12 6:52 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: All this said...CaneCutter 2/1/12 4:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Make "me" the happiest... *NM*CaneCutter 2/1/12 4:49 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: All this said...Gravemind 2/1/12 6:42 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 7:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: All this said...Gravemind 2/2/12 2:23 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: All this said... *IMG*Hoovaloov 2/2/12 3:28 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: All this said...RC Master 2/2/12 6:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: All this said...Gravemind 2/2/12 7:36 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         wut?RC Master 2/2/12 7:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: wut?Gravemind 2/2/12 8:28 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Oh, wow...RC Master 2/2/12 9:21 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 3:52 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 4:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 5:54 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: All this said...RC Master 2/1/12 6:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 6:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: All this said...Louis Wu 2/1/12 6:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               ditto *NM*kidtsunami 2/1/12 6:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 6:58 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 6:47 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: All this said...Hoovaloov 2/1/12 6:51 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 8:28 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: All this said...DEEP NNN 2/1/12 4:08 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: re: DMR Study Update (new spreadsheet)Hoovaloov 2/1/12 2:02 p.m.
     Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorDEEP NNN 1/17/12 5:04 p.m.
           Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorHoovaloov 1/17/12 5:28 p.m.
                 Re: Statistical Analysis of DMR BehaviorDEEP NNN 1/17/12 6:13 p.m.
     More numbers, better pictureRC Master 1/17/12 7:43 p.m.
           Blog Post UpdatedHoovaloov 1/18/12 1:27 a.m.
                 You misunderstand what the median is...RC Master 1/18/12 9:51 a.m.
                       Chart Updated with MediansHoovaloov 1/18/12 10:18 p.m.
     Apparently I'm a troll?RC Master 1/20/12 6:43 p.m.
           Dude. *NM*kanbo 1/20/12 6:54 p.m.
           Re: Apparently I'm a troll?DEEP NNN 1/20/12 7:04 p.m.
           I think there was trolling involved.NsU Soldier 1/20/12 7:08 p.m.
           Re: Apparently I'm a troll?SonofMacPhisto 1/20/12 7:08 p.m.
           Re: Apparently I'm a troll?Flynn J Taggart 1/20/12 8:54 p.m.
           Re: Apparently I'm a troll?Hoovaloov 1/25/12 6:45 p.m.
     DMR Study Maps+Gametypes Available In File ShareHoovaloov 1/27/12 3:29 a.m.
           Re: DMR Study Maps+Gametypes Available In File ShaRC Master 1/27/12 6:16 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.