glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?
Posted By: scarabDate: 11/2/11 4:23 a.m.

In Response To: Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark? (SonofMacPhisto)

: Gah, looks like my post did get eaten when things got weird. Blast it.

: Oh well. Brevity is a virtue, so here goes. AI shares the space with all the
: other parts that make up a game, like level and character design, writing,
: etc. The best examples of AI facilitate the suspension of disbelief and
: fool you enough to believe the enemies are actually intelligent beings.

: Great examples of this from my experience are Half Life 2: Episode 2
: (Hunters, troops, and Striders), the Halo series, and Homeworld (the final
: clash between two great space fleets).

I found the Combine soldiers very bland. Loved the Striders and the Gun Ships.

: I don't know the ins and outs of the technical stuff, but those games made me
: go 'wow' when it came to the enemies I faced.

Now that I think about it, I found the ME2 AI companions to be adequate fighters. I was never embarrassed by them. Do you know what I mean?

I did most of the killing but they held their end up well enough. Its not like watching Kat and co take twenty minutes to kill a single Grunt. Its just one Grunt! Why do you find it so hard? A headshot, a sticky, or a tap on the noggin is all its takes. Carter, you have a DMR for crying out loud. SHOOT HIM! (do I have to do it all myself!?!)

Maybe the special attacks helped in ME2. It was always cool to see Jack bio-bomb some poor mercenary or watching an enemy drift towards us and disintegrate into black ash. So the difference may not have been down to AI smarts. Maybe Noble team were just too nerfed.

PS

Somewhat off topic but does anyone think that (In the Batman Arkham games) groups of inmates share health points? There have been times when some guys were to my left and I do a huge leap to the right and Critical Strike one of their mates - then the game switches to a slow-mo takedown and the fight is over. All the guys to my left are now on the floor and I'm sure that they were still active before that final strike. Why did they fall asleep?

Guys drop as individuals during the fight but is that because they have individual health points or does the game track the group health and drops the unit currently under attack if the groups' health drops below a multiple (perhaps group health divided by number of members)?

I just wonder because there are times when guys just seem to fall asleep when I'm not looking at them.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Message Index

Replies:

Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?scarab 11/1/11 7:16 a.m.
     Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?scarab 11/1/11 7:36 a.m.
           Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?davidfuchs 11/1/11 8:55 a.m.
                 Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?scarab 11/1/11 10:07 a.m.
                       I thought of somethingscarab 11/1/11 10:52 a.m.
                             That's actually pretty good!ZackDark 11/1/11 8:14 p.m.
                             Re: I thought of somethingQuirel 11/1/11 11:46 p.m.
                                   Re: I thought of somethingscarab 11/2/11 4:04 a.m.
                       Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?General Vagueness 11/1/11 5:47 p.m.
           Re: Halo AI: has it progressed? Where could it go?Rockslider 11/3/11 5:20 p.m.
     AI: What games currently set the benchmark? *NM*Beckx 11/1/11 11:33 a.m.
           Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?scarab 11/1/11 5:57 p.m.
                 Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?SonofMacPhisto 11/1/11 7:41 p.m.
                       Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?scarab 11/2/11 4:23 a.m.
                             Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?SonofMacPhisto 11/2/11 2:01 p.m.
                                   Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?scarab 11/3/11 2:40 a.m.
                 Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?Beckx 11/2/11 2:24 p.m.
                       Re: AI: What games currently set the benchmark?scarab 11/3/11 2:35 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.