Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: AI Script
Posted By: dmiller <dmiller@bungie.com>Date: 8/8/11 9:51 p.m.

In Response To: Re: AI Script (scarab)

: But the scripts sit on top of the AI 'engine'. You don't know what is inside
: that black box. The vast majority of AI behavior is outside of your
: control/knowledge.

Oh we have plenty of tools to allow us into certain parts of the black box. Most of the time we don't choose to use them in order to avoid scripting our AI to death.

: The sound guys could have asked the AI guys to stop NPCs from shooting over
: their dialogue. If they did that and didn't tell you then you would never
: know. You would be as in the dark as we are and you too would be reduced
: to observing the behaviors in-game and trying to guess what causes them.
: You would be reduced to spotting patterns.

: I think that Butcher and Griesemer stated that the only difference between
: Normal AI and Legendary AI behavior was that Legendary characters are
: tougher and so take longer to die and so have more time to show
: complicated behaviors. But I'm sure that normal Grunts are far more
: reluctant to start shooting, shoot with less conviction/acuuracy, and stop
: shooting sooner. Legendary Grunts have no delays before shooting, pull the
: trigger more rapidly and a firing session lasts longer.

: I also think that higher ranking individuals see further and are more
: aggressive (maybe just a consequence of better vision). Are higher ranking
: individuals given more cpu cycles? Or is it just that their stats are
: increased? (for example being given a longer sight distance)

: As an example of what I mean: in Halo 3 after we landed on the Ark and are
: given a chance to drive some Mongeese - I always try to pick an ODST for
: my, rocket wielding, passenger- they just seem to see further and, I
: dunno... shoot more.

: Do you KNOW if any of these observations are valid? Were these things common
: knowledge for mission designers? Did the designer guys discuss these
: things together?

They could be, we have the ability to do all of this stuff- but since it changes per difficulty, it made no sense to custom-tailor encounters per difficulty. If it was, I'd still be working on Reach.

: Oh one question has been on my mind since Halo 3. I get the impression that
: geometry is invisible to the AI under some circumstances. For example: I
: formed the impression that the rear, plasma turret, gunner of a Scarab was
: shooting at me as I stood on the deck above him (in front of the Jackal
: shield that protected the Lekgolo pilot/power-core). I took a screen shot
: from a better vantage point and it was clear that he was aiming right at
: me through the deck.

: It occurred to me that it must be a difficult programming task to give the
: NPCs the ability to track the movement of an object that is intermittently
: obscured by cover between the object and the NPC. This problem would go
: away if the AI had x-ray vision. To avoid problems of omniscience the
: x-ray vision could time out if you were hidden for too long.

: Anyway, the question that I'd like to ask is: was that part of the rear of a
: Scarab invisible to the NPC below?

Most likely because you were also on the Scarab, there may be issues with the visibility on the Scarab vs environment geometry.

Message Index

Replies:

AI Scriptscarab 8/5/11 4:50 a.m.
     Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/5/11 5:00 a.m.
           Fixed: AI Scriptscarab 8/5/11 5:26 a.m.
                 Re: Fixed: AI ScriptMoorpheusl9 8/5/11 6:07 a.m.
                       Re: Fixed: AI Scriptscarab 8/5/11 7:20 a.m.
                 Should've used Python *NM*JDQuackers 8/5/11 7:30 a.m.
     Re: AI ScriptGeneral Vagueness 8/5/11 12:30 p.m.
     HaloScriptkornman00 8/5/11 3:17 p.m.
           Re: HaloScriptscarab 8/7/11 9:06 a.m.
     Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 1:17 a.m.
           Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/7/11 8:54 a.m.
                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 9:29 a.m.
                       Re: AI ScriptMoorpheusl9 8/7/11 9:33 a.m.
                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 9:35 a.m.
                       Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/7/11 10:12 a.m.
                             Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 2:40 p.m.
                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 5:02 p.m.
                                   Re: AI ScriptLouis Wu 8/7/11 5:15 p.m.
                                         Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 5:23 p.m.
                                               Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/8/11 3:34 p.m.
                                                     Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 9:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: AI ScriptJonnyOThan 8/11/11 12:42 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/11/11 4:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/13/11 2:21 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/13/11 5:27 p.m.
                                   Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/7/11 7:41 p.m.
                                         Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 8:30 p.m.
                                               Re: AI ScriptGeneral Vagueness 8/7/11 8:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 8:42 p.m.
                                         Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 8:57 p.m.
                                               Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/7/11 9:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:03 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 11:19 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/7/11 11:20 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 11:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:26 p.m.
                                                                             Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 11:27 p.m.
                                                                                   Welcome to the forums, Dan!Hyokin 8/7/11 11:34 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:44 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:45 p.m.
                                                                             Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/8/11 7:10 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptAvateur 8/7/11 11:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/7/11 11:57 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 1:17 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: AI ScriptSonofMacPhisto 8/8/11 6:11 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 9:54 p.m.
                                                                                                     Seriously dude, you're awesome *NM*ZackDark 8/8/11 10:46 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 11:50 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptLeviathan 8/8/11 12:11 a.m.
                                                                             I also share this question *NM*ZackDark 8/8/11 12:13 a.m.
                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 1:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptGeneral Vagueness 8/8/11 1:34 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptFyreWulff 8/8/11 12:41 a.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 10:54 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptbluerunner 8/8/11 11:04 a.m.
                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 8:54 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI ScriptFyreWulff 8/9/11 4:56 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/8/11 11:09 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/8/11 1:40 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Thanks.Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) 8/8/11 2:44 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Thanks.General Vagueness 8/8/11 5:25 p.m.
                                                                                   x3 thanks for awesomeSonofMacPhisto 8/8/11 6:06 p.m.
                                                           Combat sandbox and mission designGhaleonEB 8/8/11 1:10 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Combat sandbox and mission designdmiller 8/8/11 1:26 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Combat sandbox and mission designdmiller 8/8/11 1:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptLord Friendship 8/8/11 12:33 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 8:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptGravemind 8/8/11 3:29 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/8/11 3:49 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI ScriptLurono 8/8/11 6:52 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptSonofMacPhisto 8/8/11 7:00 p.m.
                                                                             Yes to both *NM*Lurono 8/8/11 7:15 p.m.
                                                                                   Ok, I'm not nuts. Well, I am... but... n/m :) *NM*SonofMacPhisto 8/8/11 7:22 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 9:42 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/9/11 9:34 a.m.
                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 9:47 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI ScriptJonnyOThan 8/10/11 3:27 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/10/11 7:21 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/10/11 10:37 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/10/11 11:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/10/11 11:59 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/11/11 8:30 p.m.
                                                                                                           343i, hire him too! *NM*Hyokin 8/11/11 10:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: 343i, hire him too!RC Master 8/13/11 10:34 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/11/11 11:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/12/11 7:28 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/12/11 6:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/13/11 2:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptFyreWulff 8/9/11 5:23 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI ScriptLurono 8/9/11 8:07 p.m.
                                                                       The worst kind *NM*scarab 8/10/11 1:03 a.m.
                                                                 And a serious answer...Lurono 8/9/11 8:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 9:39 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/9/11 10:37 p.m.
                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 10:41 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/9/11 10:45 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 10:47 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/9/11 10:52 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 11:13 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/10/11 1:28 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/10/11 9:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/11/11 4:49 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/11/11 9:49 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI ScriptDagoonite 8/11/11 10:31 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/11/11 11:41 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/12/11 1:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/12/11 7:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI Script (ooh! Question!)RC Master 8/13/11 5:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: AI Script (ooh! Question!)dmiller 8/13/11 2:28 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: AI Script (ooh! Question!)dmiller 8/13/11 2:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: AI Script (ooh! Question!)RC Master 8/13/11 8:37 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptGeneral Vagueness 8/9/11 11:38 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptmrbig 8/10/11 12:50 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/10/11 9:11 a.m.
                                         Aww crapRC Master 8/8/11 7:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.