Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: AI Script
Posted By: dmiller <dmiller@bungie.com>Date: 8/8/11 10:54 a.m.

In Response To: Re: AI Script (FyreWulff)

: Halo 3: In "Tsavo Highway", a carrier jumps in overhead while you're driving down the highway to
: the Jetpack Brute encounter. Is the sound from the carrier actually emitted from it's location, or
: is the sound "cheated" and played from an invisible object much closer to the player? Staten
: mentioned they had to to do tricks like this for certain cutscenes in Halo 2 with farway sound-
: making objects, but what was it like doing that real time?

I don't know the answer to this one. It's more of a technical sound thing.

: ODST: It seems you guys liked the idea of using carriers a lot, so the whole highway level has a
: ton of carriers and banshees heading to the Portal. And then you have the Supercarrier coming
: out of the clouds. Were these elements planned from the start, or were they in constant danger of
: being pulled for performance reasons?

None of these things are performance-related. The banshees are cheap low-poly swarm objects. The carriers are cheap animated objects. I love carriers/banshee swarms because they are cheap and they make the sky feel alive and dangerous.

: Also, if you're the one behind the 9999 round rocket launchers for 4-player legendary, I <3 you.

*bow* That would be me. We came up with idea near the end to do the whole 'annual' ODST-style. Thank Marty for the special music love.

: Reach: New Alexandria, so carrier love here again. How hard on the budget was having all those
: carriers come in? Were there more at one point and had to be cut for performance or script
: budget? Ever consider a "fly a carrier" easter egg? :P Is there a non-glitch flyable Seraph
: anywhere, or was that cut?

Carriers are like an animated rock. They are pretty easy to do once you animate them. Super cheap. You can't fly them because they aren't a vehicle. Unsure about Seraphs.

: Also kudos to the work on that level, it definitely seemed a hell of an effort to assemble that one together.

If you only knew! :) Like I said earlier, it was a labor of love.

: The Package: the button that removes the invisible walls and softkills and spawns 4 banshees. Is
: that your doing? Is there any particular reason that : activating that egg makes the Covenant
: Tyrant guns become invincible?'

I pretty much went easter egg nuts at the end of Reach. I think even Harold Ryan said something to the effect of- 'we didn't give miller enough work'. I wanted both of my levels to be completely explorable- no walls, nothing. THe guns were disabled to prevent completely breaking the level, but it was a mistake, I should've just left them alone as people found a way around them.

: Halo 3: How long did it take to script or put together the escape run at the end of the game? I
: heard that level came together pretty late in development.

That part of the level was done twice! We had a working version but it was dreadful. So late in the game, I made the call to re-do the whole thing. Not a very popular move at the time, since we had put a fair amount of work into it. I agreed to put the tiles together myself in Max and script every single one of them. Massive undertaking for late in the game. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out given we had very little time to do it. I still had enough time to throw in the ghosts and the choppers and the mongoose as eggs. One of my favorite Halo 3 memories.

I'm a glutton that way, really. If I don't go through pain and anguish to do something, I tend to not enjoy it as much.

Message Index

Replies:

AI Scriptscarab 8/5/11 4:50 a.m.
     Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/5/11 5:00 a.m.
           Fixed: AI Scriptscarab 8/5/11 5:26 a.m.
                 Re: Fixed: AI ScriptMoorpheusl9 8/5/11 6:07 a.m.
                       Re: Fixed: AI Scriptscarab 8/5/11 7:20 a.m.
                 Should've used Python *NM*JDQuackers 8/5/11 7:30 a.m.
     Re: AI ScriptGeneral Vagueness 8/5/11 12:30 p.m.
     HaloScriptkornman00 8/5/11 3:17 p.m.
           Re: HaloScriptscarab 8/7/11 9:06 a.m.
     Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 1:17 a.m.
           Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/7/11 8:54 a.m.
                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 9:29 a.m.
                       Re: AI ScriptMoorpheusl9 8/7/11 9:33 a.m.
                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 9:35 a.m.
                       Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/7/11 10:12 a.m.
                             Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 2:40 p.m.
                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 5:02 p.m.
                                   Re: AI ScriptLouis Wu 8/7/11 5:15 p.m.
                                         Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 5:23 p.m.
                                               Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/8/11 3:34 p.m.
                                                     Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 9:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: AI ScriptJonnyOThan 8/11/11 12:42 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/11/11 4:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/13/11 2:21 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/13/11 5:27 p.m.
                                   Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/7/11 7:41 p.m.
                                         Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 8:30 p.m.
                                               Re: AI ScriptGeneral Vagueness 8/7/11 8:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 8:42 p.m.
                                         Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 8:57 p.m.
                                               Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/7/11 9:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:03 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 11:19 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/7/11 11:20 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 11:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:26 p.m.
                                                                             Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 11:27 p.m.
                                                                                   Welcome to the forums, Dan!Hyokin 8/7/11 11:34 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:44 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/7/11 11:45 p.m.
                                                                             Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/8/11 7:10 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptAvateur 8/7/11 11:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/7/11 11:57 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 1:17 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: AI ScriptSonofMacPhisto 8/8/11 6:11 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 9:54 p.m.
                                                                                                     Seriously dude, you're awesome *NM*ZackDark 8/8/11 10:46 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/7/11 11:50 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptLeviathan 8/8/11 12:11 a.m.
                                                                             I also share this question *NM*ZackDark 8/8/11 12:13 a.m.
                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 1:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptGeneral Vagueness 8/8/11 1:34 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptFyreWulff 8/8/11 12:41 a.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 10:54 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptbluerunner 8/8/11 11:04 a.m.
                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 8:54 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI ScriptFyreWulff 8/9/11 4:56 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/8/11 11:09 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/8/11 1:40 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Thanks.Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) 8/8/11 2:44 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Thanks.General Vagueness 8/8/11 5:25 p.m.
                                                                                   x3 thanks for awesomeSonofMacPhisto 8/8/11 6:06 p.m.
                                                           Combat sandbox and mission designGhaleonEB 8/8/11 1:10 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Combat sandbox and mission designdmiller 8/8/11 1:26 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Combat sandbox and mission designdmiller 8/8/11 1:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptLord Friendship 8/8/11 12:33 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 8:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptGravemind 8/8/11 3:29 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/8/11 3:49 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI ScriptLurono 8/8/11 6:52 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptSonofMacPhisto 8/8/11 7:00 p.m.
                                                                             Yes to both *NM*Lurono 8/8/11 7:15 p.m.
                                                                                   Ok, I'm not nuts. Well, I am... but... n/m :) *NM*SonofMacPhisto 8/8/11 7:22 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/8/11 9:42 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/9/11 9:34 a.m.
                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 9:47 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI ScriptJonnyOThan 8/10/11 3:27 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/10/11 7:21 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/10/11 10:37 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AI ScriptHyokin 8/10/11 11:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/10/11 11:59 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/11/11 8:30 p.m.
                                                                                                           343i, hire him too! *NM*Hyokin 8/11/11 10:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: 343i, hire him too!RC Master 8/13/11 10:34 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/11/11 11:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/12/11 7:28 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/12/11 6:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/13/11 2:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptFyreWulff 8/9/11 5:23 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI ScriptLurono 8/9/11 8:07 p.m.
                                                                       The worst kind *NM*scarab 8/10/11 1:03 a.m.
                                                                 And a serious answer...Lurono 8/9/11 8:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 9:39 p.m.
                                                                       Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/9/11 10:37 p.m.
                                                                             Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 10:41 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/9/11 10:45 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 10:47 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: AI ScriptZackDark 8/9/11 10:52 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/9/11 11:13 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/10/11 1:28 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/10/11 9:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI Scriptscarab 8/11/11 4:49 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/11/11 9:49 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI ScriptDagoonite 8/11/11 10:31 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/11/11 11:41 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/12/11 1:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI ScriptRC Master 8/12/11 7:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: AI Script (ooh! Question!)RC Master 8/13/11 5:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: AI Script (ooh! Question!)dmiller 8/13/11 2:28 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: AI Script (ooh! Question!)dmiller 8/13/11 2:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: AI Script (ooh! Question!)RC Master 8/13/11 8:37 p.m.
                                                           Re: AI ScriptGeneral Vagueness 8/9/11 11:38 p.m.
                                                                 Re: AI Scriptmrbig 8/10/11 12:50 a.m.
                                                                       Re: AI Scriptdmiller 8/10/11 9:11 a.m.
                                         Aww crapRC Master 8/8/11 7:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.