Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I don't get it.
Posted By: Bry <bmulheran@gmail.com>Date: 8/6/11 1:45 p.m.

In Response To: I don't get it. (uberfoop)

: The video isn't of moments of gameplay where music elevated the other stuff
: and vise versa. It's a bunch of reedited clips with no gameplay sounds and
: music that wouldn't be with what's happening on-screen.

All of the music is what would be playin, for the most part.
It just so happens that in some games, the music is mixed dynamically, like in Zelda: OoT, Mario 64 or the Halo games.
When it comes to making the soundtrack of those games, work has to be put in to get all the different variations flowing together.
For example, One Final Effort just loops through certain sections until you progress far enough to trigger the next phase in the track.

What I wanted to do (and did, if I do say so myself), was take the music from the original soundtracks, and then apply them to the kind of on-screen action I think of when hearing them.

: I can't judge the whole video, but none of the Halo clips gave me a vibe very
: similar to what I get from those sections as they actually are. I don't
: understand, for instance, how something can be the SC landing scene if the
: sound design doesn't create something interesting by mixing music and gun
: noises.

Silent Cartographer starts with the Halo theme in full blare. It was the beach landing and the Pelicans swooping over the waves that made the theme especially memorable to me.

In other words, when I hear these pieces of music from the soundtracks, those images are what I think of at the various parts of the music.
And I do enjoy just listening to the soundtracks on their own.
This is the kind of stuff I listen to on my ipod.

With the first clip showing Zelda for example, most of the theme makes me think of those wide open spaces of Hyrule, which was a massive real-time world when it was released that didn't have pop-in or resort to heavy fog effects.
The battle theme is self-explanatory.
The final section of that music is what plays when you stand still or switch to first person mode.
Which always makes me think of the sun setting over the full Lake Hylia, so that's what's in the vid.

Its all about personal feelings.

I'm not asking you to understand or agree with mine, I'm asking you to share yours if you have any similar experiences or examples.

20 Years of Sonic - Then and Now

Message Index

Replies:

Musical Gaming Moments *VID*Bry 8/6/11 11:01 a.m.
     Re: Musical Gaming Moments *VID*SonofMacPhisto 8/6/11 11:08 a.m.
     Just a note...Louis Wu 8/6/11 12:04 p.m.
           Re: Just a note...Bry 8/6/11 12:13 p.m.
     I don't get it.uberfoop 8/6/11 1:17 p.m.
           Re: I don't get it.Bry 8/6/11 1:45 p.m.
                 Re: I don't get it.uberfoop 8/6/11 2:05 p.m.
                       Its bothBry 8/6/11 2:28 p.m.
     Nice idea!Leviathan 8/6/11 3:18 p.m.
           Re: Nice idea!SonofMacPhisto 8/6/11 3:40 p.m.
                 Re: Nice idea!SonofMacPhisto 8/6/11 3:50 p.m.
                 Re: Nice idea!Leviathan 8/6/11 4:05 p.m.
                       Re: Nice idea!SonofMacPhisto 8/6/11 4:06 p.m.
                             Re: Hey, SomP-oBry 8/11/11 10:51 a.m.
                                   Re: Hey, SomP-oGrimBrother One 8/11/11 10:57 a.m.
                                         Agreed!Revenant1988 8/11/11 11:15 a.m.
                                               OH MANMid7night 8/11/11 11:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: OH MANBry 8/11/11 11:35 a.m.
                                                           Re: OH MANSonofMacPhisto 8/11/11 12:02 p.m.
                                                                 SOMPROCKSMid7night 8/11/11 12:25 p.m.
                                                                       Re: SOMPROCKSSonofMacPhisto 8/11/11 12:27 p.m.
                                                                             I play AC6 too! :DMoorpheusl9 8/11/11 12:46 p.m.
                                                                             Re: SOMPROCKSRevenant1988 8/11/11 4:37 p.m.
                                               Re: Agreed!Bry 8/11/11 12:02 p.m.
                                         Re: Hey, SomP-oBry 8/11/11 11:33 a.m.
                                   Re: Hey, SomP-oSonofMacPhisto 8/11/11 11:59 a.m.
     Re: Musical Gaming Moments *VID*Jabberwok 8/7/11 12:34 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.