Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Whooa, thanks a heap
Posted By: IbeechuDate: 7/27/11 1:45 a.m.

In Response To: Whooa, thanks a heap (mattroe)

No problem! Animation is one of the few things I love to talk at length about, and my school is all about encouraging everybody to critique everybody else's work, so it's kind of habit now :P

Weight shifts are definitely hard to grasp. At AM in class 1, we used a rig called Ballie, which was just a big ball with legs (there's a free rig by someone else named Matt called Lieutenant Dan which is more or less a clone of Ballie), and doing assignments with that rig was a great lesson in weight shifts and lower body mechanics since the body of the rig is basically a hip bone. Also, something to think about, my class 4 mentor, Wayne Gilbert, went on and on about how you should animate the legs and feet, even if (or especially if) the legs are obscured or out of frame. You obviously shouldn't spend time polishing something you can't see but he's completely right because it is noticeable. If you don't animate the legs, then the hips won't look right. And if the hips don't look right, the audience will know something is wrong with the feet.

By the way, your response to criticism is AWESOME! Like I was saying before, I spend a lot of time around CGTalk and the 11secondclub and, frankly, many of them (especially beginners) get so defensive to criticism that it just makes you not want to help them. As I'm sure you know, the only way to get better is to constantly be reminded how bad you're doing and you definitely have the right attitude towards that. Gotta get that thick skin early because if you keep trying to tell the director in a studio why he's wrong and you're right, you won't last very long.

By the way, here's a great thread on CGTalk about this very thing: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=880504&highlight=respond - Someone posted an animation they did, people tried to crtiique him, and he got very defensive and ended up getting actually pretty nasty towards everyone.

Anyway, can I ask what school you go to? In my experience, and going by hearsay, colleges tend to be really awful for learning something like animation because they try to lump all the CG art fields together and call it an "animation program" or something, and the instructors almost NEVER give actual biting critiques of the students' work. But it sounds like your school is avoiding all these pot holes. I was just curious if it was somewhere I knew.

Message Index

Replies:

An RvB animated clip... sort of *sOT*mattroe 7/26/11 11:46 p.m.
     RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOB!!) *NM*INSANEdrive 7/27/11 12:19 a.m.
           Re: RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOIbeechu 7/27/11 1:05 a.m.
                 Whooa, thanks a heapmattroe 7/27/11 1:17 a.m.
                       Re: Whooa, thanks a heapIbeechu 7/27/11 1:45 a.m.
                             Re: Whooa, thanks a heapmattroe 7/27/11 2:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Whooa, thanks a heapIbeechu 7/27/11 2:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Whooa, thanks a heapmattroe 7/27/11 2:20 a.m.
                 Re: RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOLouis Wu 7/27/11 8:56 a.m.
                       Dear Louis Wu:Miguel Chavez 7/27/11 8:59 a.m.
                             lol *NM*DHalo 7/27/11 9:02 a.m.
                             DOH!Louis Wu 7/27/11 9:07 a.m.
                                   Re: DOH!Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/27/11 11:13 a.m.
                                         Re: DOH!CaneCutter 7/27/11 3:38 p.m.
                       Re: RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOINSANEdrive 7/27/11 11:44 a.m.
     Oops, couple of typosmattroe 7/27/11 12:43 a.m.
     Wow... awesome.padraig08 7/27/11 2:18 a.m.
     Great workZackDark 7/27/11 2:48 a.m.
           One lone tearjo 7/27/11 4:32 a.m.
     That is awesome! *NM*Elzarthebam 7/27/11 4:34 a.m.
     Great job, dude.AngelicLionheart 7/27/11 1:09 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.