Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JO
Posted By: IbeechuDate: 7/27/11 1:05 a.m.

In Response To: RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOB!!) *NM* (INSANEdrive)

No kidding? I tried to find information on that but I couldn't find a job page or anything.

And mattroe, really nice job. I'm surprised at how cohesive you made it. I'm an Animation Mentor student and I hang around CGTalk and 11secondclub a lot and I always expect any sort of link like this to lead to something terrible. But yours definitely wasn't.

But, from one student to another, here are some critiques:

You have a couple of moments where the blue guy is twinning. Sometimes it's appropriate but when he makes that W pose and says, "I can speak ALIEN," it feels cliched. It's the kind of pose you see in TV a lot and it comes off as the animator not knowing exactly what he's going for. I dunno how in-depth you've studied pantomime and acting yet but the key is to always be sincere. Act it out many many times and see what you do naturally and draw from that. The best animation always comes from reality, and that W pose doesn't feel real.

Again, getting into some really advanced stuff, but about the face (and take what I say about facial animation with a grain of salt because I have yet to study the face in-depth) but I noticed that the eyebrow's line of action often looks broken, again on the blue guy. Treat the top of the eyebrows as another line of action just like you'd treat the entire body. Again, for example, on the line, "I speak alien," on the word "I," his left brow goes up before the right and creates a sharp break in the brow overall. Like with twinning, that can be appropriate sometimes, but in most cases you want to keep the whole brow sculpted to feel like a single unit.

Aside from that, your mechanics are actually pretty good. The one area that I really think needs improvement are your weight shifts. Whenever the blue guy turns around, it feels like his feet are just spinning on the ground. I'm not getting a sense that he shifts his weight to one side, then moves his foot, then shifts it back to center.

And there's a few other things I could comment on but it's all kind of detailed stuff. My biggest advice overall would be to try to simplify things as much as you can. You have the blue guy doing a ton of action, which is a very good contrast to the gray guy, but at times it feels like action for the sake of action, which should be avoided in all cases. Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston used to say that any shot could be conveyed in one or two drawings. For maybe a longer scene like this, you might need a couple more, but the idea is the same.

Push yourself to try to tell this story with only a few very, very strong poses. Whenever you can distill an idea like that, that's where you really start to see the brilliant stuff. My class 3 mentor, Brian Mendenhall, would pound into our head that clarity is the most important thing. If you have beautiful or appealing poses, but nobody knows what's going on, it's a worthless shot. Ideally, you want to have both. But your shot is definitely clear enough. Acting shots like this, where you need to craft a performance, these are really, really, really hard. But remember that we're just acting with puppets. And the finest acting comes from clarity and sincerity. Always ask yourself, "Why is the character moving this way?" because if you can't answer that, then the audience certainly won't.

Sorry, I got into wall-of-text-critique mode. But, seriously, if that's your first character performance, you did a really, really good job. That's the Norman rig, right? What other stuff did you do before this? Because if you just jumped right into doing an acting shot with a biped and managed to make it this good, I'd be beyond impressed.

Message Index

Replies:

An RvB animated clip... sort of *sOT*mattroe 7/26/11 11:46 p.m.
     RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOB!!) *NM*INSANEdrive 7/27/11 12:19 a.m.
           Re: RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOIbeechu 7/27/11 1:05 a.m.
                 Whooa, thanks a heapmattroe 7/27/11 1:17 a.m.
                       Re: Whooa, thanks a heapIbeechu 7/27/11 1:45 a.m.
                             Re: Whooa, thanks a heapmattroe 7/27/11 2:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Whooa, thanks a heapIbeechu 7/27/11 2:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Whooa, thanks a heapmattroe 7/27/11 2:20 a.m.
                 Re: RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOLouis Wu 7/27/11 8:56 a.m.
                       Dear Louis Wu:Miguel Chavez 7/27/11 8:59 a.m.
                             lol *NM*DHalo 7/27/11 9:02 a.m.
                             DOH!Louis Wu 7/27/11 9:07 a.m.
                                   Re: DOH!Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/27/11 11:13 a.m.
                                         Re: DOH!CaneCutter 7/27/11 3:38 p.m.
                       Re: RvB is hiring Animators. Just sayin' (GREAT JOINSANEdrive 7/27/11 11:44 a.m.
     Oops, couple of typosmattroe 7/27/11 12:43 a.m.
     Wow... awesome.padraig08 7/27/11 2:18 a.m.
     Great workZackDark 7/27/11 2:48 a.m.
           One lone tearjo 7/27/11 4:32 a.m.
     That is awesome! *NM*Elzarthebam 7/27/11 4:34 a.m.
     Great job, dude.AngelicLionheart 7/27/11 1:09 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.