glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.
Posted By: Bry <bmulheran@gmail.com>Date: 7/5/11 6:47 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis. (SonofMacPhisto)

: Thanks for writing this! I find it very timely, especially considering the
: United States' increasing use of UAVs and the moral issues behind that. I
: recently read a piece by Eugene Robinson about them, so it's been on my
: mind already. He's not writing about Transhumanism specifically, but the
: moral issues behind letting machines do all our fighting. I won't post it
: here, since it's potentially too political, but I can e-mail you if you
: like.

I'd imagine you're probably thinking a bit more about UCAV's than UAV's, but we're still a long way from them actually being fully controlled by an AI as we tend to think of them, like in the (terrible) movie, Stealth.

All the current concepts, while calling for autonomous function, are barely any more advanced than the cruise missiles or autopilot systems we've been using for decades.
For now, they are still being flown by pilots, albeit at a desk in a control room hundreds or thousands of miles away.
Its going to be a long time before they are capable of performing their own positive IFF checks in the form of visual confirmation before engaging, and as soon as there is one friendly fire or collateral damage incident with a fully AI controlled UCAV, they would almost certainly be grounded.

Though to a certain extent, I suppose military aircraft are the closest thing we have to machines that are actually 'aware' to an extent, albeit it typically unable to react of their own 'will' as such.
They can 'see' all around them for a whole host of different sensor packages and they can 'feel' through other sensors.
Aircraft like the F-22, F-35 or Eurofighter Typhoon are all designed to be aerodynamically unstable and so have multiple super computers that constantly make tiny adjustments to the control surfaces just to keep them flying straight.
If the computers failed... Well, pretty much this would happen.

Complete loss of control, absolutely impossible for any human to do anything (the video mentions manual override. Possible for the X-31, but that's not an option on the likes of the F-22 or Typhoon)

As it stands, there are different degrees to computer/AI control though.
The US military did do some experiments with autopilot systems that would cut in and force an aircraft to pull up if it believed a collision with the ground was immanent.
Ultimately though, the system has not been integrated into combat aircraft simply because it can get in the way. Pilots argue that if they are trying to evade a missile by flying low, they don't want the computer taking over and making them an easy target.

That said, there are a whole bunch of other flight limiters in place on the latest fighters and even some airliners.
Ones that are designed so that the pilot cannot exceed the flight envelope, like g-limiters, angle of attack limiters, etc. These are 'hard' limits on Western aircraft and cannot be overridden.
The Russians prefer 'soft' limits that the pilot can either disable or override if you apply enough force to the stick.

To explain the ideas and how they work, I'll hand over to Bruce Dickenson, of Iron Maiden fame (his day job is as an airline pilot, lol).

Halo 3: ODST "Cinematic" Campaign Playthrough

Message Index

Replies:

Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis...General Battuta 7/3/11 9:49 p.m.
     aaaaaarghGeneral Battuta 7/3/11 9:50 p.m.
           Re: aaaaaarghHedgemony 7/3/11 11:47 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.ZackDark 7/3/11 10:18 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/3/11 10:25 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.davidfuchs 7/4/11 11:37 a.m.
                       "That's not what I meant to say!"Leisandir 7/4/11 1:34 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/4/11 11:36 p.m.
     Where my pretentiousness becomes unbearableDagoonite 7/4/11 1:52 a.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/4/11 10:55 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/4/11 11:39 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 12:36 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Bry 7/5/11 12:51 p.m.
                             Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 1:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Quirel 7/6/11 12:37 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Bry 7/5/11 6:47 a.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.SonofMacPhisto 7/5/11 12:18 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.yakaman 7/4/11 11:17 a.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Evador 7/5/11 11:17 a.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.yakaman 7/6/11 12:17 a.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Evador 7/6/11 12:39 p.m.
     Interesting *Deus Ex 1 spoilers*Moorpheusl9 7/4/11 12:43 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Ynation913 7/4/11 6:04 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Leisandir 7/4/11 7:39 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Ynation913 7/4/11 8:19 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.uberfoop 7/4/11 9:06 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Vagueness 7/5/11 4:59 p.m.
     Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/5/11 5:13 p.m.
           Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/5/11 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/5/11 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/5/11 10:48 p.m.
                       Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 7/6/11 2:50 p.m.
                             Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.Beckx 7/7/11 2:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Weaponized Transhumans: Halo, Deus Ex, Crysis.General Battuta 10/7/11 11:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.