glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...
Posted By: uberfoop <atkinso2@seattleu.edu>Date: 6/17/11 3:51 a.m.

In Response To: Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then... (Narcogen)

: I'm sorry I've entirely lost the thread now. We're now at two replies where
: you accuse me of a logical fallacy without reiterating your actual
: argument, which makes it difficult for me to reply.

This must be the big problem here, then; I certainly haven't laid out my argument particularly well. I apologize. Well, here goes, albeit rather informally:
So, a game being more deterministic reduces the main source of gameplay frustration.

The idea is that, contrary to what seems to be your assumption, I hold the view that there doesn't need to be anything inherintly frustrating about performing poorly in a game; that this arises largely because of the described extra baggage in the circumstances of the poor performance in modern games.

If we look at Reach, there are more circumstances that lend themselves to be sensed as unfair, I would argue largely as a result of the drastic power separation between a class of "regular weapons" and a class of "power weapons." In Halo 1, these "power weapons" are mostly not ridiculous in comparison with the spawn weapons, merely specializing the user rather than giving them an extremely easy route to kills against users who effectively cannot defend themselves.

Caveat 1: The argument about frustration can go the other way as well. I acknowledge this; the power high of experiencing unfair success can be quite enjoyable, to the point where I feel comfortable admitting that Reach's high points are often more enjoyable than Halo 1's high points.
However, I find that heavier applications of this skinner box rewards system tend towards far heavier amounts of low between ever-higher highs (seen quite prominently in the current practical limit of this progressing, the luck-based item acquisition grinding systems that MMORPG's are known for implimenting)*. The increasing luck, and thereby decreasing effect of player action, can also take focus away from that action, and lessen the enjoyment from gameplay itself, causing a drop in overall enjoyability alongside the greater swings in enjoyment between luck highs and lows.

*Though admittedly I cannot demonstrate that this particular point is necessarily the trend accross all genres and applications; it may be on a limb.

: It is not
: more fun to lose, even if I know why, than it is to win at least some of
: the time-- even if you don't know why.

I think I would agree that success is still more enjoyable than failure, even if I think that terrible failure can be unfrustrating, and even fun. Speaking of which:

Caveat 2: While I'm often speaking in absolutes here, I acknowledge that Halo 1 is hardly an perfectly deterministic game; it merely is so when compared to many other shooters. Those luck highs and lows still exist in Halo 1, they're merely less emphasized.

I also admit that I can't necessarily imagine a game which eliminates luck entirely and would still be highly fun to play; I certainly wouldn't argue, for instance, that the shot spreads of Halo 1 weapons aren't necessary for certain gameplay reasons. That is to say, there may be a practical boundary in game design where heavier determinism becomes not worth it to the gameplay feel itself; so, it may be the case that any decent game will inevitably have at least some small level of frustration associable with its gameplay. Though I don't think Halo 1 crosses this boundary.

: I'll wait for someone else to come in and contradict you there.

A rather important question: are we talking PC or console? If console, I'll wait too, at least if we assume that the people getting shot at are at least somewhat competant themselves.

: So you don't think it's flawed, as I do, but you'd want them to make it even
: if you thought it was?

Possibly. Being a human being, I feel okay admitting that sufficient awesomeness can sometimes override seemingly reasonable considerations.
If Halo 1 online console multiplayer with good netcode would indeed be flawed in the ways you say, I think I would still very much like to play it often due to my love for the feel and aesthetic that Halo 1 has.

//=================

Hmm. Hopefully this is at least somewhat clear.

Message Index

Replies:

Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*RC Master 6/8/11 7:26 p.m.
     404 not found *NM*ZaneZavin 6/8/11 7:34 p.m.
     Fixed linkChris101b 6/8/11 7:40 p.m.
           Good news! They have what you want right here...kapowaz 6/15/11 7:15 a.m.
     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*katancik 6/8/11 9:06 p.m.
           The pointsnakegriffin 6/8/11 10:04 p.m.
                 Re: The pointRC Master 6/21/11 7:21 a.m.
                       Re: The pointLouis Wu 6/21/11 8:06 a.m.
                             Like me!JDQuackers 6/21/11 8:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Like me!uberfoop 6/22/11 9:04 p.m.
                             Re: The pointRC Master 6/22/11 5:52 a.m.
                       Re: The pointDEEP NNN 6/21/11 8:47 a.m.
                       Re: The pointBry 6/21/11 9:12 a.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*TDSpiral 6/8/11 10:07 p.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*kanbo 6/8/11 10:32 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*TDSpiral 6/8/11 11:00 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*snakegriffin 6/8/11 11:17 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*kanbo 6/9/11 12:05 a.m.
                                   Yeah that was awesome! Want more. *NM*scarab 6/9/11 1:21 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*katancik 6/9/11 1:24 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*RC Master 6/21/11 7:41 a.m.
     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*BanditORR 6/9/11 1:32 a.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*RC Master 6/9/11 5:27 a.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*scarab 6/9/11 6:25 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*FoolsRun 6/9/11 7:27 a.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*scarab 6/9/11 8:52 a.m.
                             Urrr, now I'm conflicted.scarab 6/9/11 9:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Urrr, now I'm conflicted.Archilen 6/9/11 9:29 a.m.
                                   Re: Urrr, now I'm conflicted.General Vagueness 6/9/11 1:13 p.m.
                                         Landscape crimescarab 6/10/11 4:47 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Narcogen 6/10/11 3:21 a.m.
           Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 7:54 a.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEAmunky-058 6/11/11 10:21 a.m.
                       Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 11:41 a.m.
                       Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEApadraig08 6/11/11 12:34 p.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEACaptain Spark 6/11/11 10:24 a.m.
                       Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 12:23 p.m.
                             Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEACaptain Spark 6/11/11 2:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 3:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEASonofMacPhisto 6/11/11 3:45 p.m.
                                               Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 3:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEASonofMacPhisto 6/11/11 3:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEACaptain Spark 6/11/11 4:11 p.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEACody Miller 6/11/11 10:28 a.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEAKermit 6/11/11 11:58 a.m.
                       Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 1:22 p.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEAArteenEsben 6/11/11 12:25 p.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARC Master 6/21/11 7:46 a.m.
     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/9/11 8:13 p.m.
           They should have added online custom games atleastThe BS Police 6/9/11 8:33 p.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Avateur 6/9/11 8:40 p.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/9/11 8:53 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Decommissioner 6/9/11 9:24 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/9/11 10:51 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Decommissioner 6/10/11 9:06 a.m.
                                   Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/10/11 6:25 p.m.
                                         Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Decommissioner 6/10/11 8:13 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The BS Police 6/9/11 11:04 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/9/11 11:11 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The BS Police 6/9/11 11:21 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Narcogen 6/10/11 3:30 a.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Narcogen 6/10/11 3:27 a.m.
                 When opposites collideCody Miller 6/10/11 11:23 a.m.
                       Re: When opposites collideNarcogen 6/13/11 12:03 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*FoolsRun 6/10/11 2:35 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/10/11 3:09 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Beckx 6/10/11 3:22 p.m.
                                   Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Avateur 6/10/11 4:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The Loot 6/10/11 5:39 p.m.
                                               Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Avateur 6/11/11 5:20 a.m.
                                                     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/13/11 5:51 p.m.
                                                           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*uberfoop 6/13/11 6:12 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The Loot 6/13/11 9:13 p.m.
                                                                       Such drastic changes are hardly "updates." *NM*uberfoop 6/13/11 11:04 p.m.
                                                                             You have an odd definition of "update" then... *NM*The Loot 6/14/11 12:40 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/14/11 12:52 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/14/11 3:22 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/14/11 3:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/14/11 4:47 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/14/11 2:09 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Clarificationuberfoop 6/14/11 2:47 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/15/11 2:12 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/15/11 4:16 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/15/11 4:57 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Calling Schooly!The Loot 6/15/11 10:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/16/11 2:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/17/11 12:47 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/17/11 3:51 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Standard uber double post.uberfoop 6/17/11 11:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/20/11 12:26 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...General Vagueness 6/14/11 12:09 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...The Loot 6/14/11 9:33 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/14/11 10:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...General Vagueness 6/15/11 10:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/16/11 12:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/10/11 6:59 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Gravemind 6/10/11 7:29 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*BanditORR 6/11/11 4:50 p.m.
                                   Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Hawaiian Pig 6/11/11 6:28 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Narcogen 6/13/11 12:16 a.m.
           Wait... what?snakegriffin 6/11/11 8:22 a.m.
     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Someone 6/11/11 7:51 p.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The Loot 6/11/11 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/11/11 9:34 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/11/11 9:40 p.m.
                             Re: Why i will be buying HCEA *article*mnemesis 6/11/11 11:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Why i will be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/12/11 3:33 a.m.
                                         erm, dial down the obnoxious?nomis78 6/12/11 4:48 a.m.
                             Augmented portRockslider 6/12/11 8:47 a.m.
     Profile renaming trick for creating multiple savesRockslider 6/12/11 6:32 a.m.
     So I have found one thing in its favour...RC Master 6/13/11 6:43 p.m.
     Well I may not get it now either >:(Moorpheusl9 6/15/11 7:41 a.m.
           Re: Well I may not get it now either >:(Myyke 6/15/11 7:48 a.m.
                 UpdateMoorpheusl9 6/15/11 8:50 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.