glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 6/15/11 4:57 a.m.

In Response To: Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then... (uberfoop)

: I think there's nowhere to go with this.

: I'm arguing that getting owned badly in Halo 1 is not frustrating, both from
: theoretical reasons that I have stated and from my own experiences*. Your
: counterargument is still relying on the assumption that a major conclusion
: of my argument is wrong (regarding the ability to enjoy a game more like
: Halo 1 without necessarily performing well), without qualifying that
: assumption; you are, in essence, assuming what you're trying to prove.

You are arguing that from your experience, getting owned in Halo 1 is not frustrating.

I am arguing from my personal experience that it is.

Those two cancel out. What is left is my theoretical argument, which explains how some people might find Halo 1 more frustrating than Halo Reach, while others don't, up against your theoretical argument, which says that all people should find losing at Halo 1 less frustrating than losing at Halo Reach.

Actually all I am arguing is that more people would find it more frustrating to lose at Halo 1 than those who already find it frustrating to lose at Halo Reach, and that this was publicly acknowledged by Bungie over the years in several discussions about changes made to multiplayer since Halo 2, most of those relating to weapons, grenades, and melee attacks.

: I also don't think that Cody's approach of self-improvement being the central
: thing is so closely tied to my argument.

It's not, it's tangential to it at the moment, but if we keep going at it we'll get there, trust me :)

Deterministic behavior with
: respect to player input doesn't mean that player input is always the same,
: and it's possible for a game without a strong luck aspect to be
: interesting even if you don't develop as a player all that much;

No, deterministic behavior doesn't mean that player input is always the same. What it means is that when player input is the same, the result will always be the same. With respect to handling conflicts over the timing of apparently simultaneous events, Halo 1 is the most deterministic.

By supplying a weapon that is nearly flawless in a wide range of situations, much wider than all others available, and giving that weapon a reliable three head shot kill, Halo 1 becomes deterministic with regards to aiming ability to the exclusion of all other skills: a player able to reliably complete this feat repeatedly will experience the same result.

you don't
: have to throw in a strong luck aspect, such as filling the sky with
: exploding nuclear unicorns, to mix things up.

Reach doesn't have those either. What Halo 3 and Reach have are weapons that have more spread (and Reach provides feedback about the severity of that spread). There is also more apparent randomness in how simultaneous melees are resolved.

It's not a grind on an
: improvement treadmill if there's no grind and no treadmill, if those games
: where you get completely destroyed are still fun,

And if they're not? I think you're also construing "grind" and "treadmill" in gaming-specific ways that I don't mean. This is largely a reference to how much time is required to compensate for superior competition's talent or innate ability.

if the lack of
: frustration leaves room for simply enjoying the gameplay for what it is,
: regardless of encounter outcome. If the journey, if the gameplay itself,
: is allowed be the source of enjoyment. And this can happen so much easier
: when encounter outcomes depend more on that gameplay than on preconditions
: to the encounter.

I'm afraid I disagree. By and large it is possible to enjoy losses for the journey, but only to a point. Halo 1 multiplayer deployed on a WAN, in my opinion, would be far beyond that point for a larger portion of the online population than Reach is.

: As a final note, if being of subpar shooting skill is such an issue for Halo
: 1, then I am one of the last people who should be arguing in favor of it.
: I certainly don't perceive myself as being in the upper half of the player
: base, especially if you only consider seasoned Halo fans.

It absolutely is an issue for Halo 1-- much more so than any other game in the series. I think even those who disagree with me violently over just about every issue-- like Cody for instance-- would agree that Halo 1 rewards shooting skill more than any other Halo title, and more accurately represents the real gap in skills between players. We don't disagree on that; we disagree about whether or not that is a good thing to have in an online game. Cody largely considers this to be an absolute and unqualified good, whereas I consider it something better taken in moderation-- with Reach and Halo 3 being the moderated versions.

As for why you would wish to advocate for unmodified Halo 1 multiplayer to be deployed on XBL while being outside the elite group of players that I most often find espousing this position, I wouldn't dare speculate. Perhaps you can expand on this yourself?

rampancy.net

Message Index

Replies:

Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*RC Master 6/8/11 7:26 p.m.
     404 not found *NM*ZaneZavin 6/8/11 7:34 p.m.
     Fixed linkChris101b 6/8/11 7:40 p.m.
           Good news! They have what you want right here...kapowaz 6/15/11 7:15 a.m.
     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*katancik 6/8/11 9:06 p.m.
           The pointsnakegriffin 6/8/11 10:04 p.m.
                 Re: The pointRC Master 6/21/11 7:21 a.m.
                       Re: The pointLouis Wu 6/21/11 8:06 a.m.
                             Like me!JDQuackers 6/21/11 8:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Like me!uberfoop 6/22/11 9:04 p.m.
                             Re: The pointRC Master 6/22/11 5:52 a.m.
                       Re: The pointDEEP NNN 6/21/11 8:47 a.m.
                       Re: The pointBry 6/21/11 9:12 a.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*TDSpiral 6/8/11 10:07 p.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*kanbo 6/8/11 10:32 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*TDSpiral 6/8/11 11:00 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*snakegriffin 6/8/11 11:17 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*kanbo 6/9/11 12:05 a.m.
                                   Yeah that was awesome! Want more. *NM*scarab 6/9/11 1:21 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*katancik 6/9/11 1:24 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*RC Master 6/21/11 7:41 a.m.
     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*BanditORR 6/9/11 1:32 a.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*RC Master 6/9/11 5:27 a.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*scarab 6/9/11 6:25 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*FoolsRun 6/9/11 7:27 a.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*scarab 6/9/11 8:52 a.m.
                             Urrr, now I'm conflicted.scarab 6/9/11 9:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Urrr, now I'm conflicted.Archilen 6/9/11 9:29 a.m.
                                   Re: Urrr, now I'm conflicted.General Vagueness 6/9/11 1:13 p.m.
                                         Landscape crimescarab 6/10/11 4:47 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Narcogen 6/10/11 3:21 a.m.
           Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 7:54 a.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEAmunky-058 6/11/11 10:21 a.m.
                       Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 11:41 a.m.
                       Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEApadraig08 6/11/11 12:34 p.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEACaptain Spark 6/11/11 10:24 a.m.
                       Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 12:23 p.m.
                             Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEACaptain Spark 6/11/11 2:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 3:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEASonofMacPhisto 6/11/11 3:45 p.m.
                                               Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 3:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEASonofMacPhisto 6/11/11 3:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEACaptain Spark 6/11/11 4:11 p.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEACody Miller 6/11/11 10:28 a.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEAKermit 6/11/11 11:58 a.m.
                       Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARockslider 6/11/11 1:22 p.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEAArteenEsben 6/11/11 12:25 p.m.
                 Re: Extra campaign features I'd like in CEARC Master 6/21/11 7:46 a.m.
     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/9/11 8:13 p.m.
           They should have added online custom games atleastThe BS Police 6/9/11 8:33 p.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Avateur 6/9/11 8:40 p.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/9/11 8:53 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Decommissioner 6/9/11 9:24 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/9/11 10:51 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Decommissioner 6/10/11 9:06 a.m.
                                   Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/10/11 6:25 p.m.
                                         Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Decommissioner 6/10/11 8:13 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The BS Police 6/9/11 11:04 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/9/11 11:11 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The BS Police 6/9/11 11:21 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Narcogen 6/10/11 3:30 a.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Narcogen 6/10/11 3:27 a.m.
                 When opposites collideCody Miller 6/10/11 11:23 a.m.
                       Re: When opposites collideNarcogen 6/13/11 12:03 a.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*FoolsRun 6/10/11 2:35 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/10/11 3:09 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Beckx 6/10/11 3:22 p.m.
                                   Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Avateur 6/10/11 4:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The Loot 6/10/11 5:39 p.m.
                                               Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Avateur 6/11/11 5:20 a.m.
                                                     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/13/11 5:51 p.m.
                                                           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*uberfoop 6/13/11 6:12 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The Loot 6/13/11 9:13 p.m.
                                                                       Such drastic changes are hardly "updates." *NM*uberfoop 6/13/11 11:04 p.m.
                                                                             You have an odd definition of "update" then... *NM*The Loot 6/14/11 12:40 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/14/11 12:52 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/14/11 3:22 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/14/11 3:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/14/11 4:47 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/14/11 2:09 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Clarificationuberfoop 6/14/11 2:47 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/15/11 2:12 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/15/11 4:16 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/15/11 4:57 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Calling Schooly!The Loot 6/15/11 10:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/16/11 2:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/17/11 12:47 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/17/11 3:51 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Standard uber double post.uberfoop 6/17/11 11:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...Narcogen 6/20/11 12:26 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...General Vagueness 6/14/11 12:09 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...The Loot 6/14/11 9:33 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/14/11 10:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...General Vagueness 6/15/11 10:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: You have an odd definition of "update" then...uberfoop 6/16/11 12:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/10/11 6:59 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Gravemind 6/10/11 7:29 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*BanditORR 6/11/11 4:50 p.m.
                                   Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Hawaiian Pig 6/11/11 6:28 p.m.
                             Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Narcogen 6/13/11 12:16 a.m.
           Wait... what?snakegriffin 6/11/11 8:22 a.m.
     Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Someone 6/11/11 7:51 p.m.
           Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*The Loot 6/11/11 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/11/11 9:34 p.m.
                       Re: Why i wont be buying HCEA *article*General Vagueness 6/11/11 9:40 p.m.
                             Re: Why i will be buying HCEA *article*mnemesis 6/11/11 11:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Why i will be buying HCEA *article*Cody Miller 6/12/11 3:33 a.m.
                                         erm, dial down the obnoxious?nomis78 6/12/11 4:48 a.m.
                             Augmented portRockslider 6/12/11 8:47 a.m.
     Profile renaming trick for creating multiple savesRockslider 6/12/11 6:32 a.m.
     So I have found one thing in its favour...RC Master 6/13/11 6:43 p.m.
     Well I may not get it now either >:(Moorpheusl9 6/15/11 7:41 a.m.
           Re: Well I may not get it now either >:(Myyke 6/15/11 7:48 a.m.
                 UpdateMoorpheusl9 6/15/11 8:50 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.