Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartogra
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 6/15/11 2:42 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartogra (Stephen L. (SoundEffect))

: Except that the island was completely circumnavigable (is that a word?) and
: no landmasses were seen around it at all. That there are now is change for
: change's sake. That's what I object to.

Be prepared to do a lot of objecting, then :)

: In a game, it's a real environment. Even if the clouds and mountains are 2D
: bitmap 'curtains' it's a visual description of the environment and depicts
: something far enough away that it's done to conserve game memory and
: resources while indicating there's actually a mountain or clouds present.
: Around the Cartographer island, there were no mountains before. There are
: now. BAD design decision. Do they really think no one notices these
: things? It can't be just me.

Are you the only one who notices? No. Are you one of the few who care? Possibly. Are you the only one who thinks that any change at all, if not strongly justified by some other reason, is bad? Quite possibly.

With regards to other elements, I would also fall into that boat. Geography and technical specifications just aren't among them.

: I could argue with enough computing resources, they would have made the Halo
: ring 10,000km across in-game and to scale.

Even if they could have, they wouldn't have, because they don't need to. It would have been a waste of resources.

They represent a large item
: smaller due to game resource availability. This does not diminish
: anything. The vast, vast majority of items in the Halo games are built to
: a consistent scale. Only the thing either too far away or that would
: otherwise hinder game performance are scaled back. Those are few and far
: between. If you want the actual World Unit size of Halo, I can certainly
: provide it...but I'm at work at the moment.

: But it very definitely wasn't there before, but is now. Here's something:
: when we play the Anniversary Edition, we'll see a distant mountain appear
: and disappear when switching back and forth between the classic and
: anniversary modes.

: One door is opened to us, but I was under the impression from Cortana's
: dialogue that more was being shut down by this security system. I though
: it was the security system for the ring, not just the cartographer. I'll
: have to review the scene again.

The problem is the script uses the word "installation" which is used by 343GS to mean the entire ring. Here it is used only by Cortana, and I would interpret it as meaning the Map room itself, and not the entire ring.

Access to Delta Halo's control room, for instance, is gained without previously visiting any "security station" or "security substation" and that is a signficantly more sensitive location than the map room-- which on Delta Halo we never even see.

The relevant lines are:

CORTANA:

Negative, Captain. The Covenant have impeded our progress. We can't proceed unless we can disable this installation's security system.

and

CORTANA:

We need to find the security override to get this door open.

and

CORTANA:

Well, there's the entrance to the security substation, but it looks like we'll have to look for another way up.

The use of the word "substation" here always indicated to me that even if the ring does have a system-wide security system, the one we're dealing with here is only a subset of that, and it would seem reasonable to assume that the division of duties across that system would be geographical, so that a local security substation restricts access to local resources; in this case, the map room.

This next one I think bolsters both that interpretation, as well as the interpretation that the previous mentions of "installation" mean the cartographer and not the ring itself:

Cortana:

This isn't the map room. Analyzing... (Pause) This is a security override station for the main facility, located somewhere else on this island. Shut the system down so the Covenant won't be able to lock us out.

Whereas Cortana previously said "installation" and Keyes said "facility" (not quoted here) Cortana now uses "facility" to refer to the subject affected by the security station. That "main facility" is located "somewhere else on this island"-- meaning the map room and not the entire ring, or the Control Room.

: The Ark is isolated. It's well outside the galaxy where there are no real
: density of stars. You need a Forerunner portal just to reliably get there.
: I can see security being less. To accidently stumble upon the Ark is a
: trillion to one shot (I didn't do the actual math) whereas the Halo rings
: are within the galaxy around stars that space faring civilizations may
: glean the coordinates to from strewn Forerunner artifacts lying about many
: worlds. The ring systems might be more secure because of that.

The *Ark* is isolated, but on the Ark, the Cartographer is not isolated. Presumably free access to all resources on each ring was also not intended, any more than any access whatsoever to the Ark was intended.

If the designers considered the portal and the Ark's own geographical location to be sufficient security, they would not have also locked the door-- but they did, and that door requires 343GS to open it for us.

rampancy.net

Message Index

Replies:

I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:01 a.m.
     Cool!Revenant1988 6/9/11 10:03 a.m.
     Very nicePsychoRaven 6/9/11 10:04 a.m.
     Very, very nice *NM*ElzarTheBam 6/9/11 10:08 a.m.
     SuggestionWayward Spleen™ 6/9/11 10:10 a.m.
           Re: SuggestionThe Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:27 a.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 10:16 a.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:26 a.m.
                 Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 10:29 a.m.
                       Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:39 a.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Shishka 6/9/11 11:59 a.m.
                 Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 12:14 p.m.
                       Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:mnemesis 6/9/11 12:25 p.m.
                             Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 12:41 p.m.
                                   Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:mnemesis 6/9/11 1:04 p.m.
                                         Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Shishka 6/9/11 1:41 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Miguel Chavez 6/9/11 9:46 p.m.
                                   Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:DMFanella 6/9/11 1:30 p.m.
                                         Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 1:32 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:DMFanella 6/9/11 1:45 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:KP 6/9/11 5:01 p.m.
                                                     I will pull this forum overGeneral Vagueness 6/9/11 6:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: I will pull this forum overShishka 6/9/11 7:30 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I will pull this forum overGeneral Vagueness 6/9/11 8:24 p.m.
                 No Bioshocking.Narcogen 6/10/11 3:11 a.m.
     Noodlie ElitesCapt Spanish 6/9/11 10:26 a.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Leviathan 6/9/11 10:35 a.m.
           Something looks wrong with The Silent CartographerRyanTheHeretic 6/9/11 11:38 a.m.
                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 12:33 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograbluerunner 6/9/11 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/9/11 1:01 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 2:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/10/11 3:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 6:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 12:43 a.m.
                                                     Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 6:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 7:16 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 3:31 p.m.
                       Because everyone does it.uberfoop 6/9/11 12:58 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLeviathan 6/9/11 2:26 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 3:50 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/10/11 3:13 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 6:39 a.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLeviathan 6/10/11 11:28 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 2:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograGeneral Vagueness 6/10/11 5:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 12:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 7:31 a.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/14/11 2:14 a.m.
                                                     Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 8:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLouis Wu 6/14/11 9:25 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 10:51 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograGeneral Vagueness 6/14/11 12:51 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/14/11 1:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograRockslider 6/14/11 10:38 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 11:07 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:51 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 7:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:47 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 6:58 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/17/11 2:13 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 6:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/17/11 2:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/17/11 3:09 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/17/11 6:47 a.m.
                       dittoscarab 6/10/11 4:19 a.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograurk 6/17/11 11:32 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograFyreWulff 6/17/11 11:40 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograChewbeccawacca 6/17/11 1:53 p.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:zerowind117 6/9/11 3:45 p.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:ghost faction 6/15/11 10:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.