Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: My usual obsession (Lekgolo)
Posted By: scarabDate: 2/4/11 2:03 a.m.

In Response To: Re: My usual obsession (Lekgolo) (Quirel)

: Scarab, I am in awe.

: -Silicon, despite the buzz about it in Science Fiction, is not a good
: material for basing life upon. From what I understand, it doesn't form the
: wide variety of materials with dizzying arrays of properties that carbon
: can. However, I am given to understand that this is different at high
: temperatures, so silicon-based lava monsters is a possibility.

Yes silicon life is a Science Fiction staple. I doubt that any lifeform could do all its chemistry based on silicon but we already have slip space and hard light and shields so, since Bungie themselves have said that at least one of our races is silicon based, we might as well take that idea and run with it.

I like my aliens to be Alien - not just humans with bumpy foreheads and Lekgolo are nice and Alien. :-) They have so much potential for different forms. I don't have a handle on their psychology but that's OK - it means that someone else can be creative and imagine what it would be like to BE a Lekgolo.

: -Query whether smaller clusters of Lekgolo could function with support from
: Covenant machinery. The armor could keep them alive, while they pilot
: probes about the size of sentinels.

Yes, though if Lekgolo intellect depends on having a fair number of worms then that too would present a lower limit to colony size. Are colonies individuals or are they a team of individuals working as one? The rest of the Covenant treat the colony as an individual but that could just be an understandable mistake on their part; its a mistake that the Lekgolo would probably tolerate because it takes up too much time constantly correcting people.

The population of Te is given as trillions, that suggests that each worm is an individual.

I tend to think of the colony as the individual and the authors of the books seem to think that way but we may all be wrong.

Does anyone have a link to Frankie's 117 Words competition winning entry? It was pretty cool and I'd like to read it again.

Getting back to the idea of other Lekgolo forms or what they could fit into - I once toyed with the idea of Lekgolo inside the original Halo Shade turrets. But the idea was just silly. Imagine trying to get into one and it trying to run away. Or even if you did get into it - it could run into a corner whilst you were still on board so that you couldn't shoot at its mates. That would be so frustrating game play wise. :-)

I have to say that one thing I loved about the original Shades was the way they slowly cartwheeled through the air if knocked off a ledge by Scorpion fire. It was always a pleasure to watch. Current turrets aren't as much fun to destroy.

I love the new Drone head shot explosion. It makes them more fun to fight. I rationalize all the different forms of Drones that we've seen as being members of a ring species. Though they could just be different races.

Forerunner reseeding could have seeded Drone populations on different planets and the 100,000 year separation would have been enough to allow for many divergent forms and even for speciation to have taken place.

: -Perhaps Lekgolo have outstanding senses of smell, to help them detect trace
: decay elements. Or maybe they have specialized senses that pick up on beta
: radiation?
: Detecting alpha radiation is more or less moot, since it can't penetrate a
: piece of paper.

In the early games it seemed as if Hunters had eyes in the backs of their heads. I found it hard to get the drop on them. Rockslider would know for sure...

But I suspect that if you emitted enough beta radiation to be seen by Hunters then you would also glow in the dark. :-)

Maybe Hunters see by their own reflected emissions but that would suffer from the inverse square law in both directions (from Hunter to you then from you back to the Hunter) that would reduce the signal 1/whatever^4. (I think) So it would be limited to very close range.

Message Index

Replies:

My usual obsession (Lekgolo)scarab 2/3/11 10:15 a.m.
     tl;dr versionscarab 2/3/11 10:16 a.m.
           Are they friends with the Horta? *NM* *NM*Beckx 2/3/11 10:25 a.m.
                 Yes: there are Horta on Tescarab 2/3/11 10:32 a.m.
                       Hurray! :) *NM*Beckx 2/3/11 10:33 a.m.
     "HOLY CRAP" doesn't BEGIN to cover it...Mid7night 2/3/11 10:24 a.m.
           Re: "HOLY CRAP" doesn't BEGIN to cover it...scarab 2/3/11 10:59 a.m.
                 Re: "HOLY CRAP" doesn't BEGIN to cover it...arbitersaids 2/3/11 12:44 p.m.
                       Re: "HOLY CRAP" doesn't BEGIN to cover it...scarab 2/3/11 1:59 p.m.
                             They only need small amounts: 1gram/year?scarab 2/3/11 2:05 p.m.
                                   A mouse eats more than a, grown, Hunter does :-) *NM*scarab 2/3/11 4:16 p.m.
           Re: "HOLY CRAP" doesn't BEGIN to cover it...General Vagueness 2/4/11 2:16 p.m.
     Re: My usual obsession (Lekgolo)Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/3/11 10:52 a.m.
     o_O *NM*urk 2/3/11 1:55 p.m.
     Added you to the "List of People 343i should hire"Hyokin 2/3/11 3:44 p.m.
           Re: Added you to the "List of People 343i should hLeviathan 2/3/11 3:55 p.m.
                 That's what I was thinking. :-) *NM*scarab 2/3/11 4:00 p.m.
                       He's gonna kill me...Hyokin 2/3/11 4:13 p.m.
                             Oh I thought that it would be for the cousin jokescarab 2/3/11 4:21 p.m.
                                   HBO: Cousins Are Fair Game *NM*Leviathan 2/3/11 4:40 p.m.
                                         HBO: Hyokin >= Dead to me. *NM*padraig08 2/3/11 5:27 p.m.
                                               HBO: Love ya, buddy! *NM*Hyokin 2/3/11 8:32 p.m.
     Bravo, good sir! *clapping* *NM*Leviathan 2/3/11 3:57 p.m.
     Damn, that's good. *NM*yakaman 2/3/11 4:32 p.m.
     Cuddling. Hunter. pairs.Hawaiian Pig 2/3/11 4:35 p.m.
           Re: Cuddling. Hunter. pairs.scarab 2/3/11 6:05 p.m.
                 Re: Cuddling. Hunter. pairs.arbitersaids 2/3/11 8:40 p.m.
                       Re: Cuddling. Hunter. pairs.arbitersaids 2/3/11 8:44 p.m.
                       Re: Cuddling. Hunter. pairs.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 2/3/11 9:47 p.m.
                             Re: Cuddling. Hunter. pairs.General Vagueness 2/4/11 2:11 p.m.
     Nice intellectual exerciseSquirrelOnFire 2/3/11 4:50 p.m.
           Re: Nice intellectual exercisescarab 2/3/11 5:37 p.m.
                 Re: Nice intellectual exerciseSquirrelOnFire 2/3/11 11:06 p.m.
                       Re: Nice intellectual exerciseQuirel 2/4/11 12:57 a.m.
     Re: My usual obsession (Lekgolo)Quirel 2/3/11 8:34 p.m.
           Re: My usual obsession (Lekgolo)scarab 2/4/11 2:03 a.m.
     Re: My usual obsession (Lekgolo)scarab 2/4/11 4:16 p.m.
           Better link for applicationsscarab 2/4/11 4:22 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.