Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkj;k
Posted By: Hawaiian PigDate: 9/15/10 3:54 p.m.

In Response To: Googlefu to more rescue (Jillybean)

: Jun

: I'm going to say it's not Jun on the platform. So who is? :S

One of the gajillion other boring Spartans that apparently keep surfacing...

Whatever happened to that inspiring and emotionally engaging handful of soldiers whose shoulders heft the weight of humanity's fate.

I'm sorry, but I didn't get as invested in these Spartans as it seems others have. They seem more like a group of ODSTs than Spartans. Seriously, I really only liked Jorge because he wasn't some boring cliche.

Hurf. I'm Carter, the Leader Captain Guy. I'm Kat, the techy token female. I'm Emile, the token brazen black guy. And I'm Jun, the sniper with an accent. I honestly can't say much else about these characters than what's said here. Unless you go digging into their profiles, what does the game tell you about these guys?

Come to think of it, I know another game that had similar characters:

Everything just kept screaming:

"Hey!!! This one is the The Leader!!!

In case you didn't notice, this one is Badass. Better not fuck with him!...

Hey put that down! Madame Technology here will deal with that; after all, she's really smart! Look at how smart she is!

Hey, you! Player! Feel invested in these characters will ya!!"

Now with Jorge, his actions and his words are far more subtle. I mean, for example, you get the sense that he's compassionate in the way he dealt with the civilians. In that exchange alone, you can even get a sense for his political stance on the insurrectionist movement and provincial rule.

And of course, you can tell just how passionate he is about his homeworld. This shows up time and again, not just in the way he sacrificed his life, but the way he looks down at Reach as he floats in space, or as he literally grabs you and tosses you out of the cruiser.

Oh, and there's my personal favourite, you actually get a sense of his history for this character, not because everyone says "Hey I read your file! Black ink much?," but simply in the way that he calls Halsey "Mom." Friggin' sweet touch.

Hell, when that corvette gets taken down by the MAC round, and Jorge and Noble-6 share that moment watching it... I got much more of a sense of "Noble Team" than few other moments in the game.

I feel like this story could have been so much more engaging with better writing. It ground the heck outta my gears to hear Jun just blurt out "Welcome to Reach" at the beginning of the game. Not only was the line forced, but it felt more like he was welcoming me to the game than the actual planet. You can't just have your characters overtly state things like that... it's unnatural... It's bad writing, ugh.

...these are all rumblings of a writeup I really want to do but haven't yet organized my thoughts. I should probably stop ranting.

Point is... for the most part I didn't feel it.

Message Index

Replies:

What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Schooly D 9/15/10 1:01 p.m.
     Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Kamerosa 9/15/10 1:58 p.m.
           Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Narcogen 9/15/10 10:54 p.m.
                 Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Kamerosa 9/15/10 11:53 p.m.
                       Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Kamerosa 9/15/10 11:54 p.m.
                       Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Narcogen 9/16/10 4:54 a.m.
                       Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Kermit 9/16/10 4:38 p.m.
     Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*SonofMacPhisto 9/15/10 2:16 p.m.
           Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Jillybean 9/15/10 2:27 p.m.
                 Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*SonofMacPhisto 9/15/10 2:36 p.m.
                 Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*T07WRX5 9/15/10 2:46 p.m.
                       Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Schooly D 9/15/10 2:48 p.m.
                             Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Jillybean 9/15/10 2:53 p.m.
                                   Tech support to the rescueJillybean 9/15/10 3:07 p.m.
                                         Googlefu to more rescueJillybean 9/15/10 3:11 p.m.
                                               Re: Googlefu to more rescueSchooly D 9/15/10 3:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: Googlefu to more rescue *SP*SonofMacPhisto 9/15/10 3:22 p.m.
                                                           THANK YOU *SP*telemachus 9/15/10 3:26 p.m.
                                                                 Re: THANK YOU *SP*SonofMacPhisto 9/15/10 3:32 p.m.
                                                                       Re: THANK YOU *SP*telemachus 9/15/10 3:59 p.m.
                                                                             Re: THANK YOU *SP*SonofMacPhisto 9/15/10 4:04 p.m.
                                                           Re: Googlefu to more rescue *SP*scarab 9/15/10 5:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Googlefu to more rescue *SP*Archilen 9/15/10 5:21 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Googlefu to more rescue *SP*scarab 9/15/10 6:28 p.m.
                                               blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkj;kHawaiian Pig 9/15/10 3:54 p.m.
                                                     Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjCody Miller 9/15/10 4:11 p.m.
                                                           Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjBlueNinja 9/15/10 4:26 p.m.
                                                                 Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjHawaiian Pig 9/15/10 4:27 p.m.
                                                                 Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjTex 9/15/10 4:34 p.m.
                                                                       Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjSonofMacPhisto 9/15/10 4:36 p.m.
                                                                             Typo :(SonofMacPhisto 9/15/10 4:37 p.m.
                                                                             Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjHawaiian Pig 9/15/10 5:12 p.m.
                                                                       The Tru7h. The Whole Tru7h.BlueNinja 9/15/10 4:52 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The Tru7h. The Whole Tru7h.SPARTAN-034 9/15/10 7:38 p.m.
                                                                       Re: blurffdurff who cares who he i*SP*RC Master 9/15/10 8:26 p.m.
                                                                             Re: blurffdurff who cares who he i*SP*Trey 9/15/10 10:57 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: blurffdurff who cares who he i*SP*Tex 9/15/10 10:59 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: blurffdurff who cares who he i*SP*Archilen 9/16/10 1:23 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: blurffdurff who cares who he i*SP*Tex 9/16/10 10:47 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: blurffdurff who cares who he i*SP*gspawn 9/16/10 1:54 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: blurffdurff who cares who he i*SP*Tex 9/16/10 2:38 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: blurffdurff who cares who he i*SP*RC Master 9/16/10 8:48 a.m.
                                                                 One word, two intended meanings7he grunt w/a plasma pistol 9/16/10 8:16 a.m.
                                                     Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjSchooly D 9/15/10 4:45 p.m.
                                                           Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjSchooly D 9/15/10 4:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjHawaiian Pig 9/15/10 5:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: blurffdurff who cares who he is asdfsgrewijlkjNarcogen 9/15/10 11:09 p.m.
                             Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Tex 9/15/10 2:55 p.m.
                             Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*telemachus 9/15/10 3:04 p.m.
                             Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*SonofMacPhisto 9/15/10 3:06 p.m.
           Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*BlueNinja 9/15/10 4:20 p.m.
     Re: What I liked about Halo: Reach *SP*Schedonnardus 9/15/10 4:30 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.