Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Plasma sword / energy sword
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 10/29/09 7:37 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Sticking with 'spores' after all (General Vagueness)

: I think I remember seeing "plasma sword" on there; why did you stay
: with that term? same reason?

The possible incorrectness of that term wasn't as clear, and I'd long known it as the 'plasma sword' so i stuck with it. I suspect I initially picked it up from a magazine. In fact I still have 'The Survival Guide', a nice little booklet that came with the April 2002 issue of XGamer here in the UK, and it says for example: "Gold Elites also favour plasma swords".

But I also have Prima's official strategy guide (again free with a mag). I'm looking at it right now, and it says of stealth Elites: "The most lethal of these camouflaged killers are the ones weilding a Plasma Sword, capable of causing instant death with each swing". It goes on: "Commander Elites also favour the Plasma Sword. Any Elite with such a weapon should be your first target". Mind you, on the front of that guide I've written in pen "Caution! Widespread utter nonsense inside", because so much of the advice was bad, to the point where you wondered if they'd actually played the game. Such as the aforementioned notion that an Elite with a sword is the most dangerous. Sheesh… the writer must've somehow failed to meet up with any Elites armed with plasma rifles! Anyway, the fact that it's in that official guide suggests that 'plasma sword' actually came from Bungie at some point. Possibly they switched to 'energy sword' later? I did get the impression that the guide was probably written many months in advance of the game release.

Someone emailed me in February 2006 saying "And dude, it's called an Energy Sword. Not a plasma sword. Plasma swords go poof when they hit the ground. Energy Swords don't." I wasn't sure what to make of that. And were there two types of sword? I queried a friend for a second opinion - namely One One Seven - and he said he'd always called it the Plasma Sword, "which makes more sense than 'Energy Sword' since the blade consists of Plasma, and not simply 'Energy'". But he did also say that he'd looked through the files of Halo, and it was labeled there as an 'Energy Sword'. This could be consistent with the idea that Bungie switched to energy sword later on. He added that "it was obviously redesigned for Halo 2 not to destroy itself when dropped to allow the player to pick it up".

If you care to dig deeper, it's another thing I'd be interested to hear about. But yep, I'll still be calling it a plasma sword!

Bad Cyborg - Now with movies and pictures!

Message Index

Replies:

Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeRockslider 10/28/09 9:05 a.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeLouis Wu 10/28/09 9:10 a.m.
     Rock, You're Insane, And We Love You. *NM*Morpheus 10/28/09 10:18 a.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeGeneral Vagueness 10/28/09 10:20 a.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeGeneral Vagueness 10/28/09 10:21 a.m.
           Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeRockslider 10/28/09 10:53 a.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeGeneral Vagueness 10/28/09 11:01 a.m.
           Little nibbler chappiesRockslider 10/28/09 11:30 a.m.
                 Popcorn Flood. *NM*Louis Wu 10/28/09 12:29 p.m.
                       So good you'll lose control! *NM*Avateur 10/28/09 12:31 p.m.
                             My favorite brand is Orville Redenflooder. *NM*SonofMacPhisto 10/28/09 6:37 p.m.
                       Re: Popcorn Flood.General Vagueness 10/28/09 6:33 p.m.
                             Re: Popcorn Flood.General Vagueness 10/28/09 7:07 p.m.
           Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/29/09 9:04 a.m.
                 Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 10:08 a.m.
                       Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/29/09 12:43 p.m.
                             Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 3:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/29/09 5:45 p.m.
                                         Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 5:57 p.m.
                                               Plasma sword / energy swordRockslider 10/29/09 7:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Plasma sword / energy swordNarcogen 10/29/09 11:08 p.m.
                                                           Re: Plasma sword / energy sword7he grunt w/a plasma pistol 10/29/09 11:20 p.m.
                                                     "Plasma sword" sounds more classyUrsusArctos 10/30/09 12:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: Plasma sword / energy swordGeneral Vagueness 10/30/09 8:34 a.m.
                 Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allBry 10/29/09 10:38 a.m.
                 Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRed_Breast 10/31/09 2:44 a.m.
                       Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/31/09 10:27 a.m.
                             Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRed_Breast 10/31/09 3:05 p.m.
                                   Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/31/09 5:55 p.m.
                                         Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRed_Breast 11/1/09 1:44 p.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeUrsusArctos 10/31/09 10:36 a.m.
           Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeRockslider 10/31/09 1:11 p.m.
                 Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeGeneral Vagueness 10/31/09 1:46 p.m.
                       Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeRockslider 10/31/09 2:01 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.