Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Sticking with 'spores' after all
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 10/29/09 12:43 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Sticking with 'spores' after all (General Vagueness)

: I agree "parasite" sucks unless it's an Elite referring to all the
: Flood, I suggest popcorn or ranger or infector. It's just seeing them
: misreferenced like that always bugs me

I sympathise, especially as I'm normally a stickler for accuracy. Sticking with 'spore' wasn't so much because I didn't like 'parasite' (though it does seem like a term better reserved for a wider context), but instead for the reasons already mentioned, especially the one about my preferred perspective as just a trooper in the field who came to know them as spores. When you take that mentality into account, it may be easier to accept the misuse. I can easily imagine Marines just referring to them as spores - though I'm not sure there's any in-game dialogue in any of the games where they refer to them by some name. I never did pay that much attention to back-story and suchlike, so I didn't pick up on the distinction. i expect the people that do get into that stuff will naturally be using the more correct terms for things.

Actually, I think some of the reason why i came to think 'spore' was a correct term was that they emerge spore-like from carriers. I reckon I thought that was Bungie's rationale for (supposedly) calling them spores.

But maybe I should've paid better attention to the Monitor in The Library. As listed in a transcript of that level, the Monitor says "The small creatures carry spores that cause a host to mutate. The mutated host then produces spores that can pass the Flood to others.". The first part of that makes it clear that the bubbles contain spores. However, the second part of that - "The mutated host then produces spores" - may have made me think it was referring to carriers producing the bubbles; and hence that 'spores' also referred to the bubbles. I was probably too busy shootin' stuff to bother thinking about that much further, heh heh.

As for other terms (just for the sake of discussion), I'd never even heard of 'ranger' until I did that googling yesterday. That term actually sounds pretty comical to me. Too grand, in the same way that 'warrior' seems too grand for a gurgling mess that can't even shoot straight. I can't recall hearing it in the game, so I'm guessing that it comes from some Bungie material somewhere, or maybe it's in one of the books? Louis' popcorn gag has its appeal, but if I was going to be jokey I'd just call them bubbles or bubble Flood. I don't think I saw the term 'infector' used in any of the informational pages I googled, so that counts against it. I've just googled for it, and I see it being used to refer to a type of Flood that was apparently cut from H3.

Just to mention a few pages I found yesterday which likewise term the bubbles 'spores' (to further depress you):

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/halo/enemies.htm
"The Spore are larvae that hatch from Flood Incubators. These quick critters jump in the air and latch onto prospective hosts like the parasites they are."

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6075824/p-36.html
"Flood Spores are tiny creatures that look a bit like a jellyfish."

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/The_Flood_Halo_-_Overview/id/5517352
"The Flood appears in three primary forms: parasitic spores (Infection
Forms) that attach themselves to hosts and transform the hosts' DNA,…"

: but it's your site and you can do what you want with it

Wahoo! I'll fry it up with onions and serve it for breakfast! Mmmm… fresh and grunty…

Bad Cyborg - Now with movies and pictures!

Message Index

Replies:

Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeRockslider 10/28/09 9:05 a.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeLouis Wu 10/28/09 9:10 a.m.
     Rock, You're Insane, And We Love You. *NM*Morpheus 10/28/09 10:18 a.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeGeneral Vagueness 10/28/09 10:20 a.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeGeneral Vagueness 10/28/09 10:21 a.m.
           Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeRockslider 10/28/09 10:53 a.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeGeneral Vagueness 10/28/09 11:01 a.m.
           Little nibbler chappiesRockslider 10/28/09 11:30 a.m.
                 Popcorn Flood. *NM*Louis Wu 10/28/09 12:29 p.m.
                       So good you'll lose control! *NM*Avateur 10/28/09 12:31 p.m.
                             My favorite brand is Orville Redenflooder. *NM*SonofMacPhisto 10/28/09 6:37 p.m.
                       Re: Popcorn Flood.General Vagueness 10/28/09 6:33 p.m.
                             Re: Popcorn Flood.General Vagueness 10/28/09 7:07 p.m.
           Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/29/09 9:04 a.m.
                 Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 10:08 a.m.
                       Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/29/09 12:43 p.m.
                             Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 3:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/29/09 5:45 p.m.
                                         Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 5:57 p.m.
                                               Plasma sword / energy swordRockslider 10/29/09 7:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Plasma sword / energy swordNarcogen 10/29/09 11:08 p.m.
                                                           Re: Plasma sword / energy sword7he grunt w/a plasma pistol 10/29/09 11:20 p.m.
                                                     "Plasma sword" sounds more classyUrsusArctos 10/30/09 12:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: Plasma sword / energy swordGeneral Vagueness 10/30/09 8:34 a.m.
                 Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allBry 10/29/09 10:38 a.m.
                 Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRed_Breast 10/31/09 2:44 a.m.
                       Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/31/09 10:27 a.m.
                             Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRed_Breast 10/31/09 3:05 p.m.
                                   Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRockslider 10/31/09 5:55 p.m.
                                         Re: Sticking with 'spores' after allRed_Breast 11/1/09 1:44 p.m.
     Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeUrsusArctos 10/31/09 10:36 a.m.
           Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeRockslider 10/31/09 1:11 p.m.
                 Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeGeneral Vagueness 10/31/09 1:46 p.m.
                       Re: Bad Cyborg movies - Flood onslaught challengeRockslider 10/31/09 2:01 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.