Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

My thoughts and minor ODST theories
Posted By: Hikaru-119 <lieutenant_hikaru_119@yahoo.com>Date: 9/6/09 6:22 p.m.

In Response To: Battle of Mombasa - Longer than what we thought? (CaptainTony)

Definitely not a waste on description by the way.

I was also thinking about this. It almost makes sense to me in regards to previous battles. Look at the retaking of harvest. For one miserable little rock that was well glassed (minus parts) it took 5 years to retake. And other planets as well. Some battles lasting weeks before the Covenant moved on. So there we have a precedent of things taking much longer than anticipated.

The only explanation I can think of is that they didn't just drop the chief in right after he crashed into IAC's hull. Probably took some time to get on board and then to get things around for the battle ahead. This time frame would help explain why we saw no civilians in Halo 2. Many hours could have passed by before he dropped in. Maybe even a day while they thought of what they were going to do about that carrier.

Another thing we don't really know is how tight the security was around Regret's carrier.

There could have been many artillery pieces, AAA, AA , and since it was a carrier Bungie only knows how many fighter craft as well. Especially since there was a Prophet on board, a Hierarch no less, I would imagine the security being very hard to get through. Hence calling in a Spartan.

Then we have the collateral damage problem.

Attacking the carrier in space is one thing. Attacking it on your home turf when it is sitting right next to a space elevator is a completely different matter. Especially since a space elevator is extremely huge and would have devastating effects on anything it lands on for hundreds of miles. You don't want to accidentally miss with your MAC rounds and end up killing who knows how many in the process. That and if we go by the novel GoO (I think...) there were other battles happening that the UNSC had to deal with. Let's not forget about Mars as well. All of these things would distract from killing Regret's carrier. And since they discovered that a Prophet was on board the UNSC high command and ONI (obviously) saw this as a great opportunity to complete the original mission the SII's had before Reach got whacked.

The UNSC discovers this intel about a Prophet being on board, cancels any attack on it, and then immediately starts doing quick interviews for the ODST team we have in the new game to go and do whatever it is they are going to have to go do. Prep for drop and we have our new game with a slightly fixed time line.

Yeah I recapped some of your stuff, but it helped me keep on track.

Thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements?

Message Index

Replies:

Battle of Mombasa - Longer than what we thought?CaptainTony 9/6/09 4:33 p.m.
     Re: Battle of Mombasa - Longer than what we thoughThe BS Police 9/6/09 5:13 p.m.
           Nothing there mate. *NM*CaptainTony 9/6/09 5:15 p.m.
     Re: Battle of Mombasa - Longer than what we thoughThe BS Police 9/6/09 5:18 p.m.
           Re: Battle of Mombasa - Longer than what we thoughBry 9/6/09 5:40 p.m.
                 Re: Battle of Mombasa - Longer than what we thoughThe BS Police 9/6/09 5:44 p.m.
                       Re: Battle of Mombasa - Longer than what we thoughBry 9/6/09 6:22 p.m.
           Uhh, Bro...Riceatron 9/6/09 5:42 p.m.
                 Re: Uhh, Bro...The BS Police 9/6/09 5:49 p.m.
                 Re: Uhh, Bro...Gravemind 9/6/09 11:49 p.m.
                       Well....Riceatron 9/7/09 1:50 a.m.
                       Re: Uhh, Bro...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/7/09 10:48 a.m.
                             Re: Uhh, Bro...Riceatron 9/7/09 11:25 a.m.
                             Re: Uhh, Bro...Gravemind 9/7/09 3:30 p.m.
                                   Arguing with video game logic...MffnMn 9/7/09 6:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Arguing with video game logic...Bry 9/7/09 6:32 p.m.
                                               Re: Arguing with video game logic...Gravemind 9/7/09 9:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: Arguing with video game logic...Hikaru-119 9/7/09 9:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: Arguing with video game logic...Gravemind 9/8/09 3:21 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Arguing with video game logic...Bry 9/8/09 5:14 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Arguing with video game logic...Gravemind 9/8/09 2:22 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Arguing with video game logic...Riceatron 9/8/09 5:43 a.m.
                                                                       andRiceatron 9/8/09 9:44 a.m.
     My thoughts and minor ODST theoriesHikaru-119 9/6/09 6:22 p.m.
           Re: My thoughts and minor ODST theoriesfree 9/6/09 8:24 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.