glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

The Covenant need more ships to fight humanity!?
Posted By: RyanTheHereticDate: 8/27/09 4:49 p.m.

Ok, I tried doing a search on this, but I couldn't find anything (though I'm sure Wu will drop by and link to about 30 threads discussing these exact issues, heh) so here goes...

I know a few of you think Halo Wars takes a dump on the story and should be excluded from serious debate, but I think 343 Industries is probably going to consider it fully canon, and it might even work its way into Legends (who knows?) so I'm interested in discussing it.

That said, a few things in Halo Wars do not seem stack up with my understanding of the Halo universe. Maybe I've got things all wrong? Let's find out.

Firstly, in the "Walk in the Park" cutscene, the Prophet of Regret says that "the war with the humans will require a great deal many more machines than we can currently muster". Now, he's sitting next to a Forerunner fleet (which must be pretty sucky if they decided not to use these ships, even in the final days of the war... but I digress), so I assume he's talking about spaceships when he says machines (it's not like they are planning to use Space Wraiths to glass our worlds, after all) but, I mean, this just doesn't make sense to me.

Every Halo novel basically tells us that the Covenant have big armadas. Are Ensemble saying that when the war started, the Covenant only had a small fleet? Not entirely implausible, I guess; I'm sure they did build many ships during the course of the war... but the idea that they needed "many more" than the Covenant manufacturing lines "can currently muster" is a bit strange. How unprepared are the Covenant? They can't be that lacking in ships- High Charity is considerably older than the Human-Covenant War, and I'd imagine that even before first contact, Covenant religious doctrine would demand it be protected and guarded... well... religiously. They would surely have had fleets.

Secondly, the Timeline says that in 2524, the Kig-Yar ship Pitliless "brought forth an Unclean Being's corpse. Hear now all Kig-Yar vessels are to be searched." As a side point guys, when did this happen? I don't remember a Jackal ship bringing human corpses home? Is this is Contact Harvest? I can't remember it. But anyway, why would the Prophet of Restraint be so worried about "unclean beings"?

Isn't it basically said that Truth/Mercy/Regret are only worried about humans because of their link to the Forerunners, which threatened to break up the Covenant? Restraint would have no such qualms (at least, not until he discovered the link himself, perhaps, but that's for another debate) with humanity, which he might even see as a potential new species to absorb into the Covenant, so why the fear, why the hostility towards us? I always assumed from Contact Harvest and Conversations From The Universe that the Covenant aren't instinctively hostile to new races, but that perhaps they seek to absorb more and inform others of the importance of the Great Journey.

Thirdly, yes, the Flood. Specifically, on a Shield World. Please don't tell me the Forerunners kept them for study there. This is getting ridiculous. If they turn up in ODST I'm going to cry.

I dunno, I'm not a fan of semi-retcons that Halo Wars seems to enjoy; I've long felt that the whole "purpose" of Halo: Combat Evolved (other than to make Bungie some money and help launch the Xbox) was to depict the first ever human contact with the Flood (and the Halo Array). Similarly, I thought that Ghosts of Onyx was telling us the story of the first ever non-Forerunner contact with a Shield World installation. Maybe I'm wrong on both those counts, but I can't help but feel Halo Wars undermines both H1 and GoO by throwing both the Flood and Shield Worlds into the mix, purely to artificially boost how important it is. I mean, Ensemble couldn't have just had the Spirit flying around shooting Covies, right? They wanted to tell a story that MATTERS, and I guess they felt the Flood and Shield Worlds were the best way of giving their story some weight.

Whew! All that negativity, and I actually like Halo Wars a lot. Sorry for the long post folks. Oh, and sorry too for taking Halo so seriously.

Message Index

Replies:

The Covenant need more ships to fight humanity!?RyanTheHeretic 8/27/09 4:49 p.m.
     Re: The Covenant need more ships to fight humanityRagashingo 8/27/09 5:25 p.m.
           Re: The Covenant need more ships to fight humanityRyanTheHeretic 8/27/09 6:06 p.m.
                 Re: The Covenant need more ships to fight humanityRagashingo 8/27/09 6:30 p.m.
     Re: The Covenant need more ships to fight humanityscarab 8/27/09 6:46 p.m.
           Re: The Covenant need more ships to fight humanityJ23 8/27/09 11:12 p.m.
                 Re: The Covenant need more ships to fight humanityBry 8/28/09 12:43 a.m.
                       Damn sneaky Prophets..J23 8/28/09 2:34 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.