Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results show
Posted By: pete_the_duckDate: 7/25/08 7:26 a.m.

In Response To: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! (pete_the_duck)

Wow! In the 7 days since I posted the Flaming Ninja Challenge, over 2,000 ninjas have attempted the course! That's really awesome.

I wanted to share some of the feedback I've gotten from the community:

"This has been downloaded to annoy my roommate." - xMixMasterX (HBO)

"Wow, that looks like major fun, only if I had the legendary map pack >_<." - eguitarplaya33 (Forgehub)

"I love ninjas." - slayking44 (Forgehub)

"This is actually impossible" - My Local Sniper (Forgehub)

"whats so hard about the pallet challenge?" - Orbitalshot (Forgehub)

"cool map but could of done better" - CHUGA LUGA (Bungie.net Forum)

In all seriousness, 'THANKS!' to everybody who downloaded and/or commented. I think the community response definitely warrants a Flaming Ninja Challenge Round 2.. and I've begun to mull over ideas for that. I'm going to spend plenty of time on the drawing board, so I wouldn't expect to actually post something until maybe September.

I did want to say thanks to Louis Wu for the front page mention, it most certainly helped people find out about the map. I also found out that halobase.de mentioned the map on their front page too. Neat! I guess the proper word is "Vielen Dank" ? ..I hope?

I would like to mention one last thing: I've revised my BlackSkyCanvas. The original was pretty sloppy. This version is much, much better. It consists of a level foundation of many double/single boxes in the sky above Blackout, and some teleporters marking the edges of the invisible death barriers. It is meant to be helpful in building maps in the sky above Blackout.

The boxes are perfectly level and are all the same elevation*! They are at a lower elevation than in the original BlackSkyCanvas, but this is with the idea that it is easier to stack boxes on a low foundation to reach a higher elevation than it is to place a box on nothing because the foundation is too high.

Click HERE to download it
Click HERE to download the infinite budget version***

*To get all the boxes at the same elevation, I enabled pan-cam so I could view coordinates. Then, in monitor mode, I got myself to an elevation of exactly -4.000 and looked up as far as I could. I then spawned a double/single box and waited for it to finish sliding into position**. Then I saved and quit, locking the box in place.

**Because Forge spawns objects perfectly level, square, and at a certain consistent distance from the player, by making sure I was always at an elevation of -4.000, looking as far up as possible, each box would come to rest at the same elevation as the previous (as long as it was the first object I spawned.. I saw some variation with the second).

I then tested the map by standing on each box in player mode and checking my player model's elevation, again using the coordinates. They were very, very consistent--from around 3.375 to 3.395. Not perfect, but what I can only describe as an inconceivable variation. I'm certain you'd never know if I hadn't told you :).

***If you're not familiar with the infinite budget glitch, there is a sticky at Forgehub talking about it. Basically, the budget is tricked by placing one of each object on the map and maxing out their run time maximums. This will allow you to place up to that maximum of each object, ignoring budget constraints, as long as you don't delete any object (because deleting an object will reduce the run time maximum of that object by 1, which cannot be undone) or delete the last of an object (because it is maintaining the run time maximum).

The neat thing about Blackout is that you can drop an object into the ocean, at which point it will disappear (be "deleted") without reducing the run time maximum (as long as there is one of that object remaining on the map)--very neat, and unique to this map (versus, say, Foundry).

Message Index

Replies:

The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!pete_the_duck 7/18/08 5:17 p.m.
     Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!elessar787 7/18/08 5:50 p.m.
     That looks like a blast! *NM*DiscipleN2k 7/18/08 6:02 p.m.
     Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!Bryan Ojeda 7/18/08 6:11 p.m.
     Whoa (Neo style) *NM*SonofMacPhisto 7/18/08 6:27 p.m.
     Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!BolognaFire 7/18/08 6:47 p.m.
     The Ultimate Challenge of Spartan-versus-Obstacle! *NM*SonGoharotto 7/18/08 8:11 p.m.
     Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!!xMixMasterX 7/19/08 4:08 p.m.
           Double whammy, eh? =) *NM*DHalo 7/19/08 4:21 p.m.
     The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results showpete_the_duck 7/25/08 7:26 a.m.
           Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results showxMixMasterx 7/25/08 9:01 a.m.
                 Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results showpete_the_duck 7/25/08 1:42 p.m.
           Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results showdetranova 7/25/08 9:21 a.m.
                 Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results showpete_the_duck 7/25/08 1:43 p.m.
                       Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results showdetranova 7/25/08 2:02 p.m.
                       Re: The Flaming Ninja Challenge!! - results showxMixMasterx 7/25/08 4:13 p.m.
           Correctionpete_the_duck 7/25/08 7:13 p.m.
     Melee Weapons?lostguru 7/27/08 10:26 p.m.
           Re: Melee Weapons?pete_the_duck 7/27/08 10:49 p.m.
                 Re: Melee Weapons?xMixMasterx 7/28/08 9:11 a.m.
                       Quick tippete_the_duck 7/28/08 10:16 a.m.
                             Re: Quick tipxMixMasterx 7/28/08 11:36 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.