Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Personally
Posted By: Tobin <ceugene@ocf.berkeley.edu>Date: 11/8/01 1:43 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Personally (Ferrex (Dead))

"Bigger how? In terms of more units sold, or number of launch titles?

"Nintendo could certainly be expected to sell lots of units, with their massive installed base of SNES users eagerly awaiting the N64. Why should that suprise anyone?

"Yes, it was a superior system. But let's not forget that it wasn't until around Street Fighter 2 showed up that it had a really clear advantage over the Genesis. What are you trying to convey, that the late comer to the party will do better?"

Was it? I thought Pilotwings, F-Zero, Final Fantasy II, all showed that the SNES was a much better system.

"So what exactly is the disadvantage of using more readily available components, which developers are more familiar with, and a well liked development API? That it might be called a "PC" by the 1% of people who actually know what is inside of the console? "

Well, your initial response was that a PC game developers are going to shy away from making PC games because of all the different configurations they have to support. Are you saying that PC game makers are going to drop everything and start making console games only? Clearly there must be incentive to make PC games...Halo is going to be a PC game, right?

"I knew you'd pounce on that. Of course its looks depending on "so-and-so special circumstances", which I thought I'd made fairly clear. That's how game engines work and are developed. If Halo only had to worry about a few high poly characters on screen at the same time, we could afford more texture passes. If we only had to worry about small spaces, we could afford better lighting."

And I looked at Silent Hill for the XBox earlier today since you brought it up. Impressive, but also not on par with RE. I don't think my original argument limited the comparison purely between Halo and RE. I still haven't seen any screens from any other game on any other platform that match it.

"I would be genuinely impressed if Resident Evil handled very large exterior environments and close object detail as well as Halo does. But that's a design decision, and game dependant, not so much platform dependant. Trotting out "Resident Evil looks better than Halo" as a pro-Gamecube argument is as ridiculous as me saying "Halo looks better than Luigi's Mansion" as a pro-XBox argument.

"So your argument is again based on different titles being developed bydifferent teams. Hey, if it makes you feel better, Rogue Squadron looks better than Obi-Wan too."

And when is Rogue Squadron coming out for XBox? One of your main arguments was launch titles.

"Until side by side comparisons of titles developed for the respective consoles by developers intent on (and capable of) pushing either console to its limits, I'm not going to indulge in this "hey, Game X looks better than Game Y, therefore System Z is superior" silliness."

But it's more than one title, and I am merely arguing that the XBox is not indisputably better because of its pixel pushing white paper, just as Genesis and Saturn weren't indisputably better than SNES and Playstation. But if broadband and an 8 GB HDD are worth $100 to you, maybe...

"One or two of the launch sports titles are cross platform, I believe, and upcoming titles like SC2 are as well. I'm sure the differences between them will recieve adequate press coverage, and I'll wait until then to see how they stack up."

Madden 2002 is one such title. I don't see one screenshot where there are any discernable differences, pro XBox or pro GameCube.

"In the meantime, I'll point out that Project Gotham looks prettier than WaveRace, and therefore the XBox is a better system. k thx gg."

Project Gotham is a very pretty game. So is Munch's AND Halo. It's no wonder these are the major bundled titles.

--Not employed by MS.

Message Index

Replies:

To many choices,lend your opinions please!noflamesMatt(Uh...#5) 11/6/01 1:17 p.m.
     PersonallyDarkSkies 11/6/01 1:30 p.m.
           Re: PersonallyJohnny Rotten 11/6/01 1:43 p.m.
                 LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Matt(Uh...#5) 11/6/01 2:05 p.m.
                       Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?*Ar-Isildur of *WP* 11/6/01 2:41 p.m.
                             Bingo, you got it (nt) *NM*Miguel Chavez 11/7/01 12:00 a.m.
                             Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Tobin 11/7/01 7:45 a.m.
                                   Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Lophan 11/7/01 9:06 a.m.
                                         Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Sam 11/7/01 10:28 a.m.
                                               Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Nijhazer 11/7/01 11:14 p.m.
                                   Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?vector40 11/7/01 7:40 p.m.
                                         Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?MSN 11/7/01 7:45 p.m.
                                               Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Tobin 11/7/01 8:04 p.m.
                                                     Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?vector40 11/7/01 8:43 p.m.
                                                           Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Tobin 11/8/01 1:17 a.m.
                 Re: Personallybeef 11/6/01 5:37 p.m.
           Re: PersonallyFerrex (Microserf) 11/6/01 4:12 p.m.
                 Re: PersonallyAchronos 11/6/01 10:36 p.m.
                 Re: PersonallyTobin 11/7/01 7:10 a.m.
                       Re: PersonallyFerrex (Microserf) 11/7/01 1:50 p.m.
                             Re: PersonallyTobin 11/7/01 5:21 p.m.
                                   Re: PersonallyTobin 11/7/01 8:09 p.m.
                                         Re: PersonallySam 11/7/01 8:13 p.m.
                                   Re: PersonallyFerrex (Dead) 11/7/01 10:10 p.m.
                                         Re: PersonallyTobin 11/8/01 1:43 a.m.
                                   Re: PersonallyLegend 11/7/01 11:09 p.m.
     I am getting an X-box because...carrim 11/6/01 2:17 p.m.
           All great points, keep em coming *NM*Matt(Uh...#5) 11/6/01 2:54 p.m.
           Re: Nintendo Third Party Support Sucks!!!!kayas 11/6/01 3:21 p.m.
     mario sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!(?????)Nate 11/6/01 4:56 p.m.
     Re: To many choices,lend your opinions please!noflNate 11/6/01 5:10 p.m.
           its a geforce 3,athlon 1ghz(upgraded soon)gig ram. *NM*Matt(Uh...#5) 11/6/01 5:12 p.m.
                 Xbox is cool.Nate 11/6/01 5:22 p.m.
                       Re: Xbox is cool.slumbermonkey 11/6/01 6:14 p.m.
           Re: Well, hell, if he can afford both...Tobin 11/7/01 7:51 a.m.
     Re: To many choices,lend your opinions please!noflvector40 11/6/01 5:37 p.m.
           Re: To many choices,lend your opinions please!noflbeef 11/6/01 5:52 p.m.
                 Imagine thiscarrim 11/6/01 6:25 p.m.
                       That puts it all in perspective....Matt(Uh...#5?) 11/6/01 6:31 p.m.
                             Sure! It's in the mail right now... *NM*Fuolornis Fire Dragon 11/6/01 6:55 p.m.
                             You mean in the "mall"... *NM*vector40 11/6/01 8:08 p.m.
                       Re: Imagine thisEric Trautmann 11/6/01 8:31 p.m.
                       Re: Imagine thisLouis Wu 11/6/01 8:55 p.m.
           Re: Resident EvilTobin 11/7/01 7:54 a.m.
     Re: I know what I'm getting...Tobin 11/7/01 7:27 a.m.
           Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:24 a.m.
                 Re: I know what I'm getting...Tobin 11/7/01 5:22 p.m.
                       Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:55 p.m.
                             Re: I know what I'm getting...Tobin 11/8/01 7:17 p.m.
                                   Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/9/01 6:49 a.m.
                 Re: I know what I'm getting...vector40 11/7/01 7:28 p.m.
                       Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:10 p.m.
                             Re: I know what I'm getting...vector40 11/7/01 8:41 p.m.
                                   Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:51 p.m.
           Re: I know what I'm getting...Funky J 11/7/01 8:37 a.m.
                 Re: I know what I'm getting...Tobin 11/7/01 5:27 p.m.
                       Re: I know what I'm getting...Funky J 11/7/01 6:45 p.m.
                             Re: I know what I'm getting...Funky J 11/7/01 6:50 p.m.
                                   Re: I know what I'm getting...vector40 11/7/01 7:31 p.m.
           Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:46 a.m.
           Oh well, looks like the console wars have spreadMSN 11/7/01 5:48 p.m.
     An honest look at the Console offerings (pc's too!Sam 11/7/01 10:23 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.