Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Personally
Posted By: Ferrex (Microserf)Date: 11/7/01 1:50 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Personally (Tobin)

: PC hardware is *indisputably* better than Mac hardware then. If it's
: indisputable, why are we arguing?

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that the Gamecube's hardware is either better or even on par with the XBox's.

http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/consoles/

Those specs are relatively recent, and very clearly point to some degree of superiority in the XBox's hardware, be it pixel pushing power, networking capabilities, or sound.

: Tell me how much better Madden 2002
: looks on XBox vs GameCube?

I've seen neither, but when cross platform games which do interest me start coming out, like SoulCalibur2, I'll gladly stack them up for you.

: GC's Resdent Evil in-game shots look better
: than anything I've ever seen...better than Halo, better than anything.

Not hard when your engine is designed for small, interior environments with textures which the player doesn't get extremely close to. They can save on detail passes, not have to worry about huge numbers of units or LODs, and concentrate on graphical goodies.

If Resident Evil comes to the XBox, which I vaguely recall hearing (or maybe that was just Silent Hill 2...), I guarantee you'll see all of that graphical gravy and then some.

: As
: far as release titles go, Miyamoto has never disappointed me, Luigi's
: Mansion and Pikmin are going to have me addicted right out of the box.

Oh please. Pikmin, I haven't seen so I cannot comment on, but Luigi's Mansion? We had a Cube here in the office yesterday, and LM was one of the games on the menu. It's very cute, yes, and the art is very solid, but the gameplay consists almost /exclusively/ of "turn flashlight on, wave until you see a ghost, turn vacuum on and hold down the button". And if just sounds like bias, read elsewhere--early reviews of LM are chiefly complaining about boring gameplay.

I'll give props to Miyamoto--I've enjoyed most of his games too. But even if LM was on the XBox, I'd still be disappointed by the stinging lack of fun in the game beyond the first handful of rooms.

: Compelling launch titles: Super Smash Brothers Melee,

Last I heard, this wasn't going to be ready for launch.

: Luigi's Mansion,

See above.

: Super Monkey Ball, Wave
: Race,

We tried these two games too. SMB is... well, if you liked the pulse pounding action of Marble Madness, coupled with gratuitous product placement from Dole fruits (no, I'm not joking, their logo is on pretty much everything), then you'll prolly get some amusment out of this game.

WaveRace also failed to impress--not just me, but even guys around the office who swore by WaveRace 64. There are some nice graphical gems, but they come at the cost of overall polish. The racing felt uninspired and slow, and even the vaunted waves didn't seem to be used to add anything to the course... if anything, they were a little annoying, because they were always opposing you, as though the tracks were covered with speed bumps.

But your mileage may vary. I was just expecting more.

: The Simpsons: Road Rage, Madden 2002, All-Star Baseball, NHL Hitz,
: SSX Tricky, Batman Vengeance, Crazy Taxi, Extreme G3, Tarzan Untamed, FIFA
: 2002...and more...

http://www.xbox.com/Games/

There's counterparts for several of the games there (I'm actually interested in seeing how the cross plat games stack up now).

: ^^ All will be available before Christmas...most will be available the week
: of the launch. A few of those titles may have XBox counterparts...gasp.

As will most of those XBox games. In fact, many of them are ready right now, and will ship with the system.

: The way I see it, MS will have to end up 'buying' exclusive titles instead of
: providing a developer-friendly environment.

On the contrary, developer reports coming back from Japan have expressed considerable enthusiasm for the platform. Tecmo offered up DOA3 as an exclusive of their own accord, and have said as much. Other PC game companies are offering up their titles as well--Blizzard has committed to a few titles, as has Epic, and I wouldn't be shocked if id did too.

On top of that, we're already seeing titles from Konami and Capcom, which are welcome sights. If their titles do well on the XBox, we'll see more.

: The GameCube attracts
: gamers of all ages,

You mean, the same market the N64 was aimed at, where it did so well? Oh, wait...

: and the last thing I heard was that Microsoft was
: pushing the XBox toward the "adult gamer."

You mean, the same market the Playstation tapped and proved so successful in doing so?

If you get your toe in the door the way the Playstation did, it's easier to later market down to the younger kids than it is to market up to the older kids. The N64 never shook the stigma of being created for kids, and even Nintendo has that label now.

: Why do I need an XBox to play Halo? is Halo not coming to the PC or Mac?

Is it coming to it immediately? No.

: Why are you downplaying PCs when the XBox is
: really a PC at heart?

Well gee golly, I guess you're right. I mean, it has a processor thingie, and some of that "memory" stuff, so by God, it must be the same thing as a PC! Give me a break. Let me guess, because the Gamecube has a PPC CPU and an ATI GPU, it's the same as a Mac? Or because the Dreamcast used a WinCE kernel, it's the same as a PC?

I was pretty clear about the advantages a console has over a PC, even if they share components, and therefore why I was downplaying them. I think it's been made clear from a variety of sources over the last year. If you've somehow missed all of that, well, whatever. I'm not going to magically convert you now, and that's not my job anyway.

I'm just offering up my observations on the general trends in the market. If they don't mesh with yours, then who am I to force them on you?

Cheers,
rex

Message Index

Replies:

To many choices,lend your opinions please!noflamesMatt(Uh...#5) 11/6/01 1:17 p.m.
     PersonallyDarkSkies 11/6/01 1:30 p.m.
           Re: PersonallyJohnny Rotten 11/6/01 1:43 p.m.
                 LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Matt(Uh...#5) 11/6/01 2:05 p.m.
                       Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?*Ar-Isildur of *WP* 11/6/01 2:41 p.m.
                             Bingo, you got it (nt) *NM*Miguel Chavez 11/7/01 12:00 a.m.
                             Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Tobin 11/7/01 7:45 a.m.
                                   Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Lophan 11/7/01 9:06 a.m.
                                         Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Sam 11/7/01 10:28 a.m.
                                               Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Nijhazer 11/7/01 11:14 p.m.
                                   Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?vector40 11/7/01 7:40 p.m.
                                         Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?MSN 11/7/01 7:45 p.m.
                                               Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Tobin 11/7/01 8:04 p.m.
                                                     Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?vector40 11/7/01 8:43 p.m.
                                                           Re: LOL,thanks,any console guys out there?Tobin 11/8/01 1:17 a.m.
                 Re: Personallybeef 11/6/01 5:37 p.m.
           Re: PersonallyFerrex (Microserf) 11/6/01 4:12 p.m.
                 Re: PersonallyAchronos 11/6/01 10:36 p.m.
                 Re: PersonallyTobin 11/7/01 7:10 a.m.
                       Re: PersonallyFerrex (Microserf) 11/7/01 1:50 p.m.
                             Re: PersonallyTobin 11/7/01 5:21 p.m.
                                   Re: PersonallyTobin 11/7/01 8:09 p.m.
                                         Re: PersonallySam 11/7/01 8:13 p.m.
                                   Re: PersonallyFerrex (Dead) 11/7/01 10:10 p.m.
                                         Re: PersonallyTobin 11/8/01 1:43 a.m.
                                   Re: PersonallyLegend 11/7/01 11:09 p.m.
     I am getting an X-box because...carrim 11/6/01 2:17 p.m.
           All great points, keep em coming *NM*Matt(Uh...#5) 11/6/01 2:54 p.m.
           Re: Nintendo Third Party Support Sucks!!!!kayas 11/6/01 3:21 p.m.
     mario sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!(?????)Nate 11/6/01 4:56 p.m.
     Re: To many choices,lend your opinions please!noflNate 11/6/01 5:10 p.m.
           its a geforce 3,athlon 1ghz(upgraded soon)gig ram. *NM*Matt(Uh...#5) 11/6/01 5:12 p.m.
                 Xbox is cool.Nate 11/6/01 5:22 p.m.
                       Re: Xbox is cool.slumbermonkey 11/6/01 6:14 p.m.
           Re: Well, hell, if he can afford both...Tobin 11/7/01 7:51 a.m.
     Re: To many choices,lend your opinions please!noflvector40 11/6/01 5:37 p.m.
           Re: To many choices,lend your opinions please!noflbeef 11/6/01 5:52 p.m.
                 Imagine thiscarrim 11/6/01 6:25 p.m.
                       That puts it all in perspective....Matt(Uh...#5?) 11/6/01 6:31 p.m.
                             Sure! It's in the mail right now... *NM*Fuolornis Fire Dragon 11/6/01 6:55 p.m.
                             You mean in the "mall"... *NM*vector40 11/6/01 8:08 p.m.
                       Re: Imagine thisEric Trautmann 11/6/01 8:31 p.m.
                       Re: Imagine thisLouis Wu 11/6/01 8:55 p.m.
           Re: Resident EvilTobin 11/7/01 7:54 a.m.
     Re: I know what I'm getting...Tobin 11/7/01 7:27 a.m.
           Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:24 a.m.
                 Re: I know what I'm getting...Tobin 11/7/01 5:22 p.m.
                       Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:55 p.m.
                             Re: I know what I'm getting...Tobin 11/8/01 7:17 p.m.
                                   Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/9/01 6:49 a.m.
                 Re: I know what I'm getting...vector40 11/7/01 7:28 p.m.
                       Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:10 p.m.
                             Re: I know what I'm getting...vector40 11/7/01 8:41 p.m.
                                   Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:51 p.m.
           Re: I know what I'm getting...Funky J 11/7/01 8:37 a.m.
                 Re: I know what I'm getting...Tobin 11/7/01 5:27 p.m.
                       Re: I know what I'm getting...Funky J 11/7/01 6:45 p.m.
                             Re: I know what I'm getting...Funky J 11/7/01 6:50 p.m.
                                   Re: I know what I'm getting...vector40 11/7/01 7:31 p.m.
           Re: I know what I'm getting...Sam 11/7/01 8:46 a.m.
           Oh well, looks like the console wars have spreadMSN 11/7/01 5:48 p.m.
     An honest look at the Console offerings (pc's too!Sam 11/7/01 10:23 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.