Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.
Posted By: Matt <matt@bungie.com>Date: 8/27/01 9:03 p.m.

In Response To: Halo goodness, not so good anymore. (Hethal)

: I do
: wonder, however, why this is slowing down. We haven't received some good
: screens in a little while, not to mention GOOD video. I have also noticed
: the updates have become rather stingy, though I guess that burden rests on
: the shoulders of only one man.

Oh, that's definitely not true. Were the rest of the team not working their asses off I would have nothing to write about.

The lack of major new stuff in the Halo Updates is largely because most of the stuff we're working on now is spoiler-heavy. As for the rest, there are only so many ways I can say "bug fixes."

There is more involved in taking good screenshots than running around a map and entering the screenshot command. Other people do it that way and you can always tell. We try to make our screenshots tell a story - preferably not The Story Of The Guy Who Had To Take 120 New Screenshots But Really Wanted To Go Home. So we take our time and look for the right situations, the right camera angles, etc. It's a trial-and-error process. We have tons of screenshots that will never see the light of day because they're not good enough.

Having said all that, we know that the dearth of screenshots is a problem and we're trying to remedy that. Mr. Screenshot himself, Joe Staten, is awfully busy these days, so a few more of us have learned how to take screenshots and are trying to find some good ones. When we find them, you'll see them.

As for video, we talked not too long ago about another Bungie-style trailer. The big problem is time. The Cinematics guys would have to do it (because nobody does it better) and they're working 18-hour days as-is. When their workload lightens up a bit we can start thinking about it. There's some other, shall we say, "video-related" stuff in the works that I think Halo fans will enjoy, and it's not too far off. Keep an eye on the Bungie Store. And then of course there are the TV commercials.

Finally, one key point that was sorta glossed over in the last paragraph: everyone is working really, really, really hard right now. Inevitably when we are in crunch mode, communication with the outside world slips lower on the priority list. Even for me - and I've got a light load compared to others. Just when I think I can get back to the forums, someone comes to me with something that needs to be done tomorrow (rewrite this UI text) or something huge (Halo launch party) and the regular schedule once again ceases to apply.

Take heart - it won't last much longer.

-Matt

Message Index

Replies:

Halo goodness, not so good anymore.Hethal 8/27/01 8:12 p.m.
     Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.vector40 8/27/01 8:37 p.m.
           Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.Dan Rudolph 8/28/01 1:03 a.m.
     Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.Matt 8/27/01 9:03 p.m.
           Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.Hethal 8/27/01 9:44 p.m.
           Oh, and, ah, Matt...vector40 8/27/01 10:07 p.m.
           Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.Mumbles 8/27/01 11:27 p.m.
                 Re: LNTPTFFTL•M 8/28/01 12:01 a.m.
                       Re: LNTPTFFTLMumbles 8/28/01 1:13 p.m.
                 Re: Good pointHethal 8/28/01 5:04 p.m.
                       Re: Good pointvector40 8/28/01 9:31 p.m.
           I have the product you desireDorram 8/28/01 12:56 a.m.
                 Re: I have the product you desireLouis Wu 8/28/01 1:23 a.m.
           Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.Picky 8/28/01 11:26 a.m.
           Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.stro ~ the Space Duck 8/28/01 6:28 p.m.
           Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.hob 8/28/01 10:03 p.m.
                 Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.vector40 8/28/01 11:17 p.m.
           Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.Praxus 8/30/01 4:47 p.m.
                 Re: Lesson to learnHethal 8/30/01 6:04 p.m.
     Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.John Denton 8/27/01 10:51 p.m.
           Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.vector40 8/27/01 11:14 p.m.
                 Re: Halo goodness, not so good anymore.Omniscient 8/28/01 8:33 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.