Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: PC Gamer News Post Question
Posted By: Picky <chris@earleweb.com>Date: 7/3/01 12:33 p.m.

In Response To: Re: PC Gamer News Post Question (Desio)

Halo will never be a big PC press getter, not the magazines anyway. Since it will have come out for the Xbox first, they'll bitch about graphical features that were left out... even though they very well know that the average PC gamer can't handle it with their computers (Even though polls at VE would tell you differently, since everyone seems to have a 1+GHz... BS... I don't see why people lie on those polls, since it's anonymous). PC Gamer and all of them will always have a biased perspective for two very good reasons...

1) It's their business to like or dislike a game, and they feel that they have some power there (Unpure [not focusing on a single game] sites feel kind of the same way... look at the harsh flame war going on about Sierra and Evil Avatar's comments about their warez, not yet released game... and to give my POV, I think EvilA is in the wrong), so if something isn't tossed their way by a company, they take it out on their games (like a lack of the first preview, demo, movies, etc).

2) They are given super gaming computers (their reviewers are all cruising on 1.2+GHz with Radeon's [atleast] and they usually say that, but not always)... so they don't really have their full potential used, and they go on to bitch about it. While they're crying about it, the average gamer is sitting at home with maybe a 600-700MHz having his computer pushed by the game (I think it's believed 700MHz is now the average users computer... but I doubt that, because I know only three people with that or better... and I'm a big gamer and only got a 650 (I build my computer, so it's much cheaper for me)... which I will be upgrading eventually, but not with a month or two, that's for sure).

With those two biases, which they don't seem to recognize (or care) having, they will go on and point out all of the nice things, like truely reflective things, and the higher polygon count on the Xbox, then wonder why they're not seeing it like that on the PC/Mac... which is for reasons I stated and that are obvious. The point of this rant is to show that PC Mags and many of the bigger gaming sites must get the game to them first, and on the PC first, or else they'll take things from the prior version, and question what happened to, this, that or this (polygon counts always come out in ports [console to PC and PC to console], usually the console version, if ported from the PC, is usually praised for higher polycounts).

-Picky

Anyone ever noticed I type way to much when something angers me?

Message Index

Replies:

PC Gamer News Post QuestionBachus 7/2/01 10:46 a.m.
     Re: PC Gamer News Post QuestionLophan 7/3/01 8:17 a.m.
     Re: PC Gamer News Post QuestionDesio 7/3/01 11:15 a.m.
           Re: PC Gamer News Post QuestionPicky 7/3/01 12:33 p.m.
                 Re: PC Gamer News Post QuestionAlexander S7range 7/3/01 2:47 p.m.
                       Re: PC Gamer News Post Questionvector 7/3/01 4:04 p.m.
                       Re: PC Gamer News Post QuestionMSN 7/3/01 5:45 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.