Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: But this prompts a question
Posted By: MJOLNIR7 <kev524@gwu.edu>Date: 4/28/08 11:09 a.m.

In Response To: But this prompts a question (Jillybean)

: If, like I do, you believe that Gravemind was left over from 100,000 years
: war, how did he survive this blast?

After getting caught up with the story page last night, (cause I haven't been here since before IRIS unfortunately), I made yet another read through of the terminals. To my surprise I noticed a few interesting things regarding Gravemind and the Ark that I had never truly connected or understood.

Now I'm not sure if someone already pointed regarding Gravemind so dont flame me if I'm repeating folks here. But on terminal three (not playing in legendary) Didact says,

"The parasite has formed a Compound Mind. When it reaches a certain mass, the Mind is able to recoil its disparate parts to create a [tactical shield]. This is a simple matter of mass preservation. The thing has no compunction about sacrificing parts of the whole. But when the core of the Mind is threatened, it reacts violently and quickly. This is the only time we see it retract or slow its growth." Continuing a few sentences later Didact reinforces, "Even if we simply force it to retreat--to retract--that will at least give us some respite. Some time to muster more resources..."

Now for me this quote raises a lot of possibilities in trying to understand how Gravemind could possibly survive a detonation of the Array, or even a tactical pulse perhaps!?!. As for his survival for 100,000 years, though I personally suspect he managed too, this particular quote does not yield much evidence to support that. Nevertheless it does seem to show how Gravemind could survive the rings firing.

This brings me to my second (self?)-discovery about the nature of the Ark, specifically the big planet looking object in the middle of the Ark that is seemingly larger than the Earth. Again don't flame me if this is old news but this I also found on the third terminal. It was at the beginning of the terminal when 04-343 (almost definitely Guilty Spark) is talking to the nameless character (almost certainly MB) and the conversation hits an important point about the Ark that I had somehow missed before.

"Explanation: This facility is host to the [Librarian’s] final--

04-343 (errant): The archive is intact?! Then our makers' plan--

But also contains [bellows, crucible, castings]

04-343 (errant): A what?

[bellows, crucible]--

04-343 (errant): A foundry?

04-343 (errant): For what purpose?!"

I realized, like many of you may have, that these few sentences have a lot in them. We must start by recognizing MB reference to "This facility" as the Ark given the fact that we are on the Ark reading this. As well as the fact that we know Guilty Spark to be on the Ark too. But looking past GS next sentence we see MB refer to the Ark as also containing "[bellows, crucible, castings]" and then to GS title for it "A foundry."

Besides being an awesome level for Grifball in multiplayer 'a foundry' is defined as "the act or process of founding or casting metal." A 'crucible' is obviously used in Metallurgy or a container for high temp liquid metals. After these two 'castings' is pretty obvious. The last one though was most interesting, 'bellows' is defined as "a device for producing a strong current of air, consisting of a chamber that can be expanded to draw in air through a valve and contracted to expel it through a tube."

So where am I going with this you ask? What MB described to GS sounds a lot like the words a former rampant crazy old forerunner AI might use in describing "the halo factory" aspect of the Ark. GS mentions later that he had originally thought the Ark was part of "a shield installation" but happily surprised to find out that it made new rings. This we all already know...I understand; but what MB is describing sounds a lot like an inter-galactic steel mill. What I am proposing is that the object in the middle is not only used as a quarry for raw materials, but that it is a giant crucible, foundry, casting and bellows all in one. It would explain a lot about how the Ark can produce new rings as well as cool them so quickly (i.e. the bellows) so that they are ready for use.

Again sorry if this has all been pointed out or ever more horrifying, that it has been pointed out, ridiculed, and tossed aside haha. Either way it is nice to see the amazing insight, debates, and revelations about the Halo-verse that I have come to take for granted in the Halo community, back up and rolling here on HBO.

With hopes that someone will read this,
MJOLNIR7

Message Index

Replies:

So, the array...kanbo 4/7/08 12:35 a.m.
     Re: So, the array...ACEfanatic02 4/7/08 12:47 a.m.
           Re: So, the array...kanbo 4/7/08 12:59 a.m.
                 Re: So, the array...Billhead 4/7/08 1:03 a.m.
                       Re: So, the array...scarab 4/7/08 3:48 a.m.
                             Re: So, the array...Peptuck 4/7/08 5:12 p.m.
           Re: So, the array...Peptuck 4/7/08 4:56 p.m.
     Re: So, the array...Ragashingo 4/7/08 1:13 a.m.
           Yeah, I think you nailed it. *NM*Jordan117 4/7/08 2:04 a.m.
                 Re: Yeah, I think you nailed it.Zerowind117 4/7/08 2:19 a.m.
                       Re: Yeah, I think you nailed it.scarab 4/7/08 3:59 a.m.
                       I remember this theoryJillybean 4/7/08 7:50 a.m.
                             And this oneJillybean 4/7/08 7:52 a.m.
                             That would be a serious bummer. *NM*stan 4/7/08 9:50 a.m.
                       I say the spores aren't sentient... *NM*Don 4/7/08 5:22 p.m.
                       Re: Yeah, I think you nailed it.GatchamanUK 4/8/08 5:00 p.m.
           But this prompts a questionJillybean 4/7/08 7:41 a.m.
                 Oooh - and I just found this...Jillybean 4/7/08 7:47 a.m.
                       Heh...stan 4/7/08 10:02 a.m.
                 Re: But this prompts a questionmub 4/7/08 10:01 a.m.
                       An edit...stan 4/7/08 10:16 a.m.
                 Re: But this prompts a questionAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/7/08 10:39 a.m.
                       Postscript:Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/7/08 10:42 a.m.
                             Re: Postscript:Jillybean 4/7/08 11:12 a.m.
                                   Re: Postscript:DHalo 4/7/08 11:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Postscript:Jillybean 4/7/08 12:19 p.m.
                                               Re: Postscript:Don 4/7/08 5:37 p.m.
                       Re: But this prompts a questionyakaman 4/7/08 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: But this prompts a questionscarab 4/7/08 1:13 p.m.
                             Re: But this prompts a questionPeptuck 4/7/08 5:07 p.m.
                                   Atlantis and the way things werescarab 4/8/08 7:24 a.m.
                                         Re: Atlantis and the way things werescarab 4/8/08 9:43 a.m.
                                         Re: Atlantis and the way things werePeptuck 4/8/08 10:53 a.m.
                                               Re: Atlantis and the way things wereGryphonosiris 4/8/08 12:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Atlantis and the way things wereyakaman 4/8/08 12:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Atlantis and the way things werexenøs 4/8/08 2:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: Atlantis and the way things werescarab 4/8/08 3:08 p.m.
                                               Re: Atlantis and the way things werescarab 4/8/08 3:05 p.m.
                                         Re: Atlantis and the way things wereStephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/8/08 9:17 p.m.
                                               Re: Atlantis and the way things wereRagashingo 4/8/08 11:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: Atlantis and the way things wereStephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/9/08 4:51 p.m.
                                                           Re: Atlantis and the way things wereelpolloguapo 4/9/08 4:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Atlantis and the way things werescarab 4/10/08 1:13 a.m.
                       Re: But this prompts a questionPeptuck 4/7/08 5:03 p.m.
                 Re: But this prompts a questionPeptuck 4/7/08 4:59 p.m.
                       Re: But this prompts a questionLeviathan 4/7/08 7:19 p.m.
                             Re: But this prompts a questionkanbo 4/7/08 9:17 p.m.
                                   Re: But this prompts a questionLeviathan 4/7/08 10:25 p.m.
                                         Re: But this prompts a questionscarab 4/8/08 1:16 a.m.
                                               Re: But this prompts a questionLeviathan 4/8/08 2:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: But this prompts a questionscarab 4/8/08 6:57 a.m.
                                                           Re: But this prompts a questionLeviathan 4/8/08 1:08 p.m.
                             Re: But this prompts a questionxenøs 4/8/08 2:58 p.m.
                                   They can reanimate the deadscarab 4/8/08 3:12 p.m.
                 Re: But this prompts a questionMJOLNIR7 4/28/08 11:09 a.m.
                       Re: But this prompts a questionGatchamanUK 4/28/08 1:13 p.m.
     Re: So, the array...Peptuck 4/7/08 4:53 p.m.
     Something I'm having trouble with still..kanbo 4/7/08 11:00 p.m.
           No they ain't...stan 4/8/08 12:09 a.m.
                 Re: No they ain't...Billhead 4/8/08 1:13 a.m.
                       Re: No they ain't...Peptuck 4/8/08 10:57 a.m.
           Re: Something I'm having trouble with still..Peptuck 4/8/08 10:55 a.m.
                 Re: Something I'm having trouble with still..xenøs 4/8/08 3:05 p.m.
                       Re: Something I'm having trouble with still..kanbo 4/8/08 5:34 p.m.
                             Re: Something I'm having trouble with still..deadguy71 4/25/08 1:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Something I'm having trouble with still..deadguy71 4/28/08 6:17 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.