Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: A scary thought...
Posted By: scarabDate: 4/4/08 10:53 a.m.

In Response To: Re: A scary thought... (Jillybean)

: Well . . . possibly . I'd be wary of saying anything was its evolutionary
: peak, (unless I was talking about the Alien) because evolution is not a
: force that is driven by "oh, I need to do X, I should really try to
: find a way of doing that" but rather "Oh, that member of the
: population has randomly mutated X, and now can do Y, I find that person
: sexually attractive so my children can do Y too". That might be a
: little simplistic, but just because the Flood can survive anything, does
: not mean they'll stop evolving.

The Flood may not depend on evolution. GM may be able to decide what forms a collection of pure Flood cells take.

It seems that it takes time to learn how to infect a species properly. This may be purely behavioural learning or it may have a physical/physiological component. New behaviours can be learnt by a single generation but physical or physiological mechanisms can't change dramatically in a few generations.

Flood biology just smells of design. The Flood has such a strange and diverse collection of 'adaptations' that it doesn't seem natural.

There are landing pods, crawlers, stingers, hulks, infection forms, carriers, seesile forms, tentacles, audreys, etc. Look how the mobile pure forms switch constantly between forms...

Look at the different ways that the Flood can infect you. Infection form + spores = combat form or carrier. Spores on their own can tentaclize you (like wot happened to Truth). Look at audrey's Regret glove puppet (half Flood, half Prophet, and yet still alive.).

I can't prove this but it looks like the pure Flood cells are a biological Swiss Army Knife.

One question though, is the Flood really just a parasite? Can it exist without hosts? GM talks as if he will survive after all 'hosts' have been converted. Is this because Bungie doesn't understand the fundamental truth of being a parasite (as do the Blade/Vampire story writers) or can the Flood thrive without hosts?

Message Index

Replies:

First contact between the Flood and Forerunners[AMS] GreyThor 4/4/08 3:17 a.m.
     Re: First contact between the Flood and ForerunnerRosco-128 4/4/08 3:41 a.m.
           whoops, my bad, misread your last questionRosco-128 4/4/08 3:44 a.m.
           A scary thought...Leviathan 4/4/08 5:34 a.m.
                 Re: A scary thought...reprobate 4/4/08 5:53 a.m.
                       Re: A scary thought...Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/4/08 6:12 a.m.
                             Re: A scary thought...elpolloguapo 4/4/08 6:29 a.m.
                                   Re: A scary thought...Rosco-128 4/4/08 6:53 a.m.
                                         Re: A scary thought...elpolloguapo 4/4/08 1:50 p.m.
                                               hate to dissapoint butnomis78 4/5/08 6:57 a.m.
                                                     Re: hate to dissapoint butelpolloguapo 4/5/08 7:55 a.m.
                 Re: A scary thought...Rosco-128 4/4/08 6:17 a.m.
                       Re: A scary thought...elpolloguapo 4/4/08 6:31 a.m.
                             Re: A scary thought...Rosco-128 4/4/08 6:42 a.m.
                                   Re: A scary thought...Jillybean 4/4/08 7:51 a.m.
                                         Re: A scary thought...scarab 4/4/08 10:53 a.m.
                                               Re: A scary thought...Jillybean 4/4/08 11:25 a.m.
                                                     Re: A scary thought...scarab 4/4/08 1:11 p.m.
                                                           I'm not saying that Flood are vertebrates! *NM*scarab 4/4/08 2:12 p.m.
                                                           Re: A scary thought...Jillybean 4/4/08 4:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A scary thought...elpolloguapo 4/4/08 4:18 p.m.
                                                     Possiblyelpolloguapo 4/4/08 1:57 p.m.
                                                           Re: PossiblyJillybean 4/4/08 4:12 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Possiblyelpolloguapo 4/4/08 4:17 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Possiblygrantix 4/4/08 4:42 p.m.
                                                                             Re: PossiblyJillybean 4/4/08 5:34 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Possiblyelpolloguapo 4/4/08 6:20 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Possiblygrantix 4/6/08 12:17 p.m.
                 Re: A scary thought...Jillybean 4/4/08 7:28 a.m.
                       This is the void I meantJillybean 4/4/08 7:53 a.m.
                             Re: This is the void I meantStuntmutt 4/4/08 8:40 a.m.
                                   Re: This is the void I meantJillybean 4/4/08 9:07 a.m.
                             (nostalgic) :sigh:...stan 4/4/08 11:39 a.m.
                 It has done this before....elsewhere.yakaman 4/4/08 8:47 a.m.
                 Re: A scary thought...Ragashingo 4/5/08 12:17 a.m.
     almost sounds like the red dwarf polymorph storyOnebitrocket 4/4/08 6:26 a.m.
           It's a stretch, I'd say... *NM*elpolloguapo 4/4/08 6:34 a.m.
     Re: First contact between the Flood and ForerunnerMasterCheifn 4/4/08 12:43 p.m.
           Re: First contact between the Flood and Forerunnerscarab 4/4/08 1:19 p.m.
     I believe THIS is First ContactCapt Spanish 4/4/08 7:27 p.m.
           Re: I believe THIS is First Contactelpolloguapo 4/4/08 7:42 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.