Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: That said...
Posted By: Charley117 <marcusrrjw@hotmail.com>Date: 1/2/08 11:36 p.m.

In Response To: Re: That said... (Cody Miller)

: Why would you want action in your cutscenes? That's what the gameplay is for.
: The cutscenes should convey story points gameplay alone cannot.

I don't really want action, I just want better directing.

None of them, for me, really did anything more than what was required of them. They didn't attempt to convey emotion in their direction, they didn't choose to show things in interesting ways, and some of them were just too short to have a real pay-off.

For example I thought that the attack on the Arc Portal was poorly handled. A hundred or so Longswords, three freighters and a few shots fired. The camera angels were static and only really showed the bare minimum of what was necessary - they never gave across the epic feel of humanity being on the edge of extinction.

Some of them were pretty confusing too, like the moment when Neo-Alpha is rising out of the foundry - I had to wait for the dialogue to inform me of what it was. Decent directing of cutscenes should show me this, not rely on the conversation.

The same can be said for the ending, where no time is spent to allow emotions and a sense of closure to sink in... fast, fast, fast. This is the end of a grand video game trilogy, with incredibly orbital licenses also based around it... and yet it feels like Bungie are rushing to end it, not taking time to reflect and really let the player/viewer feel a true sense of closure. Personally I think that inserting the ending for Cortana the Chief here would've helped incredibly, instead of inserting it at the end of the long and dull credit sequence that was placed over nothing but a poorly realised mountain image.

I thought that the death of Truth and Miranda, that entire cutscene, was also handled fairly poorly - except for the moment between Truth and Johnson, and the fly-through of the ring holograms - THAT felt important and dramatic.

Also, don't get me started on the way Cortana jumped down from the Chief's hand, it was preschooler level of direction.

The writing was majorly flawed for a few characters, but for others I thought it was well done.

- Charley

Message Index

Replies:

Squabbling with Halo's StoryLoneRanger 2.5 1/1/08 7:37 p.m.
     Link please? *NM*Siber 1/1/08 9:00 p.m.
           Link, indeed.Louis Wu 1/1/08 9:05 p.m.
                 That said...Louis Wu 1/1/08 9:05 p.m.
                       Re: That said...LoneRanger 2.5 1/1/08 9:33 p.m.
                       Re: That said...Cody Miller 1/1/08 9:58 p.m.
                             There isn't much new info after H2....Fires7orm 1/1/08 10:38 p.m.
                                   I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/2/08 1:53 p.m.
                                         Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Cody Miller 1/2/08 4:33 p.m.
                                               Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*OldNick 1/2/08 5:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/2/08 8:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*reprobate 1/2/08 9:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/2/08 10:13 p.m.
                                         Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Peptuck 1/2/08 11:23 p.m.
                                               Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/3/08 8:43 p.m.
                                                     Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/4/08 7:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Endbringer 1/5/08 4:59 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*scarab 1/5/08 8:56 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*LoneRanger 2.5 1/5/08 10:10 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/5/08 9:04 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Endbringer 1/6/08 2:17 a.m.
                             Re: That said...Gravemind 1/1/08 11:20 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...Cthulhu117 1/2/08 6:19 p.m.
                             Re: That said...Charley117 1/2/08 1:31 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...Cody Miller 1/2/08 1:50 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...reprobate 1/2/08 9:59 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...Charley117 1/2/08 11:36 p.m.
                                               Re: That said...reprobate 1/3/08 2:58 a.m.
                             Re: That said...Zeouterlimits 1/2/08 1:51 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...X42-C1 1/2/08 2:10 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...KaiserKold 1/2/08 9:50 p.m.
                                               Re: That said...Zeouterlimits 1/3/08 10:35 a.m.
     Re: Squabbling with Halo's StoryWarp2 1/4/08 10:59 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.