Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 1/2/08 10:13 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3* (Jillybean)

: I am a gospel choir of agreement. The trouble is, as the review so
: wonderfully puts, Halo 3 is not the game to put you in the shoes of the
: alien.

Why?

I'd agree it was a compromise-- this was not, at the end of the day, the central point of Halo (although sometimes it feels like it was or perhaps should have been) but I think that game would have been far less popular than Halo.

I looked at it as medicine with a spoonful of sugar added. It looked like a game about shooting aliens, and then turned into something else when you realized those aliens (or at least one of them) was an individual in his own right with his own motivations and goals.

Some people didn't like it. Some did. Some recognize that the integration of the two ideas wasn't perfect. But I'd still rather the games as they are rather than one in which the Arbiter was never present or never a playable character, or than a game in which the entire story is told from the Covenant perspective. Although that could be interesting.

(Whether or not mainstream games should do such a thing are another
: issue, and my personal grievances/disappointments don't sell video games).

: I may wonder if the Arbiter had been a playable character, and the Earth
: levels cut, would Halo 3 truly have suffered as a mainstream game? Would
: it really have stopped people buying the game? I think somewhere along the
: line someone decided that it would, and I bet they were better informed
: about the industry than I was, which makes me a little sad but not a
: little surprised.

I think it's possible. More than that I think it might have hurt future sales.

If Halo 3 really is the last Halo game Bungie will do (at least for awhile) then when it comes time to sell their next title, they'll be trading solely on their good name, and not on a previous title in a series.

Perhaps it was felt that the rabid anti-Arbiter population was loud enough that if the game forced them to play some levels as Arby in Halo 3, their complaint that Bungie was a developer that fails to listen to its fans would carry some weight and perhaps turn Halo fans away from whatever the next thing is.

I don't know that this has any validity, but I can imagine that Bungie felt the Arbiter got mixed reviews and rather than trying to force him on players, decided to de-emphasize him. Staten says as much in the Halo 2 commentary on the Legendary discs.

Forge Map Database

Message Index

Replies:

Squabbling with Halo's StoryLoneRanger 2.5 1/1/08 7:37 p.m.
     Link please? *NM*Siber 1/1/08 9:00 p.m.
           Link, indeed.Louis Wu 1/1/08 9:05 p.m.
                 That said...Louis Wu 1/1/08 9:05 p.m.
                       Re: That said...LoneRanger 2.5 1/1/08 9:33 p.m.
                       Re: That said...Cody Miller 1/1/08 9:58 p.m.
                             There isn't much new info after H2....Fires7orm 1/1/08 10:38 p.m.
                                   I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/2/08 1:53 p.m.
                                         Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Cody Miller 1/2/08 4:33 p.m.
                                               Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*OldNick 1/2/08 5:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/2/08 8:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*reprobate 1/2/08 9:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/2/08 10:13 p.m.
                                         Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Peptuck 1/2/08 11:23 p.m.
                                               Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/3/08 8:43 p.m.
                                                     Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/4/08 7:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Endbringer 1/5/08 4:59 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*scarab 1/5/08 8:56 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*LoneRanger 2.5 1/5/08 10:10 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/5/08 9:04 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Endbringer 1/6/08 2:17 a.m.
                             Re: That said...Gravemind 1/1/08 11:20 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...Cthulhu117 1/2/08 6:19 p.m.
                             Re: That said...Charley117 1/2/08 1:31 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...Cody Miller 1/2/08 1:50 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...reprobate 1/2/08 9:59 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...Charley117 1/2/08 11:36 p.m.
                                               Re: That said...reprobate 1/3/08 2:58 a.m.
                             Re: That said...Zeouterlimits 1/2/08 1:51 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...X42-C1 1/2/08 2:10 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...KaiserKold 1/2/08 9:50 p.m.
                                               Re: That said...Zeouterlimits 1/3/08 10:35 a.m.
     Re: Squabbling with Halo's StoryWarp2 1/4/08 10:59 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.