Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: That said...
Posted By: Cthulhu117Date: 1/2/08 6:19 p.m.

In Response To: Re: That said... (Gravemind)

: I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that. The first half of Halo 3
: was fun, but it didn't do anything plot- or story-wise. It's simply
: "stop Truth from activating the Ark," which the artifact turned
: out to be a portal to the Ark. Even when the narrative picks up in the
: latter half, it doesn't quite do enough storytelling. It's mainly just a
: resolution to the conflicts of the Haloverse. There's still a ton of
: unanswered questions. It was a good end to the trilogy, but there could
: have been more plot development than there was.

I didn't find it that fun, personally. Sierra 117 is very nicely designed, but it can be ridiculously hard on higher difficulties. Crow's Nest is a massive clusterfuck on Legendary and pretty boring on anything else (although kudos to Bungie for making it feel like a real, lived-in place). Tsavo is almost unplayably difficult on Legendary unless you whore the tanks for all they're worth (and hopefully skip the two Phantoms battle) and it doesn't feel very much like a real place, due to the linear progression of areas (which I realize was necessary for gameplay, but it feels weird). The Storm is a decent level in terms of gameplay, with the widest ranges of battle types in any level except The Ark, but its design was a little uninspired. When Truth refers to the "raging storm", I laughed out loud. The sky is bright and cloudless (except for right over the portal), and about a half-dozen drops of rain are falling from the sky. It's practically an April shower, for God's sake. Also, by that point, I was getting a little sick of Earth levels. I was very, very glad when Floodgate changed it up a little (I wouldn't count this as an Earth level, exactly), but flabbergasted when it ended in less than half an hour. The Ark is where the story (such as it is) picks up: the terms, the radio chatter, the cartographer, Guilty Spark, the actual continuation of Halo 2's plotlines.

Message Index

Replies:

Squabbling with Halo's StoryLoneRanger 2.5 1/1/08 7:37 p.m.
     Link please? *NM*Siber 1/1/08 9:00 p.m.
           Link, indeed.Louis Wu 1/1/08 9:05 p.m.
                 That said...Louis Wu 1/1/08 9:05 p.m.
                       Re: That said...LoneRanger 2.5 1/1/08 9:33 p.m.
                       Re: That said...Cody Miller 1/1/08 9:58 p.m.
                             There isn't much new info after H2....Fires7orm 1/1/08 10:38 p.m.
                                   I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/2/08 1:53 p.m.
                                         Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Cody Miller 1/2/08 4:33 p.m.
                                               Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*OldNick 1/2/08 5:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/2/08 8:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*reprobate 1/2/08 9:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/2/08 10:13 p.m.
                                         Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Peptuck 1/2/08 11:23 p.m.
                                               Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Jillybean 1/3/08 8:43 p.m.
                                                     Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/4/08 7:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Endbringer 1/5/08 4:59 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*scarab 1/5/08 8:56 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*LoneRanger 2.5 1/5/08 10:10 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Narcogen 1/5/08 9:04 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I blame the fanboys *sp Halo 3*Endbringer 1/6/08 2:17 a.m.
                             Re: That said...Gravemind 1/1/08 11:20 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...Cthulhu117 1/2/08 6:19 p.m.
                             Re: That said...Charley117 1/2/08 1:31 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...Cody Miller 1/2/08 1:50 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...reprobate 1/2/08 9:59 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...Charley117 1/2/08 11:36 p.m.
                                               Re: That said...reprobate 1/3/08 2:58 a.m.
                             Re: That said...Zeouterlimits 1/2/08 1:51 p.m.
                                   Re: That said...X42-C1 1/2/08 2:10 p.m.
                                         Re: That said...KaiserKold 1/2/08 9:50 p.m.
                                               Re: That said...Zeouterlimits 1/3/08 10:35 a.m.
     Re: Squabbling with Halo's StoryWarp2 1/4/08 10:59 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.