Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*
Posted By: scarabDate: 11/16/07 7:46 a.m.

In Response To: Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP* (elpolloguapo)

: Does that say "humans are forerunner?" Word-for-word?

You really are looking for wriggle room here.

: There's a discrepancy. Forerunners were left behind. There's a connection
: between REclaimers and Forerunners.

Yes, Reclaimers are Forerunners. That's the connection. All that mantle stuff is not solid 'proof' that we are not the same species. If there was a lot of other contradictory evidence then it could be argued that things were 50/50.

But all we have is mantle waffle and that we were discovered by the Forerunners just before the array activation.

The mantle stuff proves nothing. You can pass on a mantle or a crown as easily to a relative as to a stranger. There is nothing in the process that demands that a mantle must be passed on to a complete stranger. You can pass a mantle on to a person or race that is related to the previous owner.

Yes the Forerunners discovered Earth and humans fairly clode before the array activation. But this does not mean that we MUST be separate species.

Our discovery was a surprise but there was something about us that answered or promised to provide answers to the Forerunners' own mysteries.

If the Forerunners didn't know of their origins then we can see what mystery is answered by our discovery and we can see that it is possible for them to discover us and still be of the same species.

There is a preceedent for this in the Halo story. The Cortana letters clearly show that Bungie were thinking along those lines before the game was released.

It is irrelvant whether the letters are canon or not. What is relevant is that they show that certain ideas were present in the early days of the Halo story.

These ideas are:

1) Humans were unaware of their history.

2) There were Humans outside of Earth before the current Human civ discovered spaceflight.

How could this have happened?

Some possibilities are:

1) Earth Humans had a previous high-tech civ that colonised other worlds then collapsed or just went somewhere else far away. The Humans left on Earth forgot their past.

2) Humans evolved somewhere else, a small group landed on Earth and regressed for some reason. The other high tech Humans, not on Earth, never knew of Earth.

3) An outside agency took primative Humans from Earth and these Humans became technologically advanced and lost contact/knowledge of their origins.

4) Some other possibility that I haven't thought of.

I think that idea 3) is the best candidate for explaining the curcumstances that we see in the current incarnation of the Halo story.

I think that the Precursors have been introduced because to be the outside agency.

: There's likely a middle step that
: wasn't included that complicates things. After each installment, Bungie
: tries to convince us of one thing. When Chronicles comes out, you'll
: probably be just as extremely devoted to the other side.

I believed that Humans are Forerunenrs for some time. I only doubted when I saw the comic at Halo3.com. But this was doubt of F==H, not conviction that Humans were not Forerunners. If you see what I mean. :-)

I did wonder if Bungie was yanking our chains here, you know, teasing us. But after CH I think that they have nailed their colors to the mast. I don't think that they are being as twisty as we/I thought they were.

: You're only
: looking at this piece of evidence, you're just ignoring all the evidence
: to the contrary.

List this 'evidence'. And explain why it is evidence to the contrary. State which pieces of evidence that I have ignored.

-PS

The Naysayer joke was not directed at you, you were not the butt of the joke. Its just something that I have been thinking about for some time. Its an image that comes up whenever people go on about canon or levels of canon.

The idea of levels of canon are useful. But sometimes the idea is more of a hindrance.

It can be missused to reject information out of hand. The Cortana letters are not canon but they still hold useful information, information that does not go away or become invalid because the letters are not entirely canon.

Remember that a story is made up of two parts.

1) The cool ideas and themes that are at the heart of the story.

2) The implementation of the story, how do we express those ideas? how do we tell this story?

In relation to the 'lost origin/colony' idea, the Cortana letters have a different implementation to what appeared in the final story.

The cool idea is still there but in the letters Humans found obvious Human settled worlds and would have had a big clue that something had happened.

In the final story there is no such obvious clue.

This change means that this part of the letters can't be canon. But the idea behind the letters has persisted. IMO

Message Index

Replies:

Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*yakaman 11/12/07 6:53 p.m.
     Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*elpolloguapo 11/12/07 7:41 p.m.
           Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*yakaman 11/13/07 10:19 a.m.
                 Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*Dundradal 11/13/07 10:28 a.m.
                 Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*elpolloguapo 11/13/07 3:28 p.m.
                       Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*scarab 11/14/07 2:16 a.m.
                             You missed his point, I thinkyakaman 11/14/07 9:06 a.m.
                                   Re: You missed his point, I thinkAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 11/14/07 9:50 a.m.
                                         Re: You missed his point, I thinkyakaman 11/14/07 12:48 p.m.
                                         You're not going to like it *SP*scarab 11/14/07 2:23 p.m.
                                               Re: You're not going to like it *SP*scarab 11/14/07 2:46 p.m.
                                                     Re: You're not going to like it *SP*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 11/14/07 3:20 p.m.
                                                           Re: You're not going to like it *SP*scarab 11/14/07 6:06 p.m.
                                                                 Re: You're not going to like it *SP*elpolloguapo 11/14/07 6:14 p.m.
                                                                       Re: You're not going to like it *SP*scarab 11/14/07 7:31 p.m.
                                                                             This is my point, exactly.yakaman 11/15/07 4:00 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/15/07 5:11 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/15/07 6:12 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/16/07 7:46 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*Louis Wu 11/16/07 9:55 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/16/07 2:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Willfully obtuse?yakaman 11/16/07 5:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Wait a second....yakaman 11/16/07 5:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Wait a second....elpolloguapo 11/16/07 5:50 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Wait a second....scarab 11/16/07 5:52 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Willfully obtuse?elpolloguapo 11/16/07 5:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Willfully obtuse?scarab 11/16/07 5:49 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*Louis Wu 11/16/07 9:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/17/07 6:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*Louis Wu 11/17/07 6:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/17/07 1:23 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*Louis Wu 11/17/07 4:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/17/07 12:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/17/07 1:25 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/17/07 1:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/17/07 12:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/17/07 2:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/17/07 2:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/17/07 3:37 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*Cthulhu117 11/17/07 6:17 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*scarab 11/18/07 5:55 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: This is my point, exactly. *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/17/07 6:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Cortana LetterNarcogen 11/16/07 9:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Cortana Letterscarab 11/17/07 3:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Cortana Letter *SP*Narcogen 11/18/07 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Cortana Letter *SP*elpolloguapo 11/18/07 6:56 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Cortana Letter *SP*scarab 11/19/07 7:37 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: This is my point, exactly.elpolloguapo 11/15/07 6:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: You're not going to like it *SP*elpolloguapo 11/14/07 3:40 p.m.
                                                           Re: You're not going to like it *CH* *SP*scarab 11/14/07 7:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: You're not going to like it *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/14/07 8:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: You're not going to like it *CH* *SP*scarab 11/15/07 8:34 a.m.
                                                                             Re: You're not going to like it *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/15/07 3:11 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: You're not going to like it *CH* *SP*scarab 11/15/07 4:35 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: You're not going to like it *CH* *SP*elpolloguapo 11/15/07 6:25 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: You're not going to like it *CH* *SP*scarab 11/16/07 8:30 a.m.
                                                           Re: You're not going to like it *SP*Roflsalad 11/18/07 11:20 p.m.
     Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*Orpheus 11/12/07 7:48 p.m.
           Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*elpolloguapo 11/12/07 7:51 p.m.
                 Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*Orpheus 11/12/07 8:09 p.m.
                       Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*elpolloguapo 11/12/07 8:16 p.m.
           Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/12/07 9:25 p.m.
                 Re: Humanity-Forerunner Stuff, *CH Spoilers*Dundradal 11/12/07 9:32 p.m.
                 Exactly.Cthulhu117 11/14/07 6:44 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly.elpolloguapo 11/14/07 6:53 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly.Dundradal 11/15/07 9:18 a.m.
                                   Re: Exactly.Cthulhu117 11/15/07 4:53 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.