Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Dreadful Grinding Noise - Xbox 360 Disc Drive *OT*
Posted By: The Se7enth Prophet <these7enthprophet@gmail.com>Date: 10/16/07 5:11 p.m.

After watching two DVDs yesterday (Little Miss Sunshine and 28 Weeks Later, in that order, if it makes ANY difference AT ALL, which I doubt), my Xbox 360 malfunctioned. I placed in the disc tray The Orange Box to play some Portal, and to my unfortunate surprise was greeted with a "Play DVD" on the dashboard. I immediately ejected the disc and then reinserted it. Still, "Play DVD". Well, with my hopes high, I pressed play DVD. This is what I got:

"This is an Xbox 360 game disc. To play this disc, place it in an Xbox 360 gaming system" (or something similar) followed by the same message in what seemed like twenty languages.

Well, I restarted the system with the disc out of the tray. I got the standard "Open Tray" message on the dashboard, which I pressed and proceeded to insert The Orange Box. Once inside, the disc made a horrendous noise, as if something were scratching the disc. I opened the tray to find my disc fine, and reinserted in into the 360. The grinding noise returned, but stopped after a second. I pressed "Play The Orange Box" from the dashboard. As the system began to read the disc, the grinding returned, but quickly subsided. I was able to play Portal and Half-Life 2 fine, so I thought nothing of it.

Later yesterday, I decided to play some Halo 2 with a friend who can't afford a 360 right now, so I put it in. I was relieved when I did not hear the noise. I played that for three hours, then got an invite to play Halo 3, so I did. Still no grinding noise; lovely.

Today, after returning from school, I decide I want to play Halo 3. To my dismay (and nearly having a heart-attack) the noise returned... with Halo 3 in the drive. I've already inspected the disc, and it is fine, so you don't need to worry.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this terrible, terrible noise? My theory is that the disc isn't sitting right in drive and actually rubbing against the sides of the tray. That theory would explain why there is no damage done to the disc. It may also be worth noting that my 360 is in the vertical position.

Message Index

Replies:

Dreadful Grinding Noise - Xbox 360 Disc Drive *OT*The Se7enth Prophet 10/16/07 5:11 p.m.
     Re: Dreadful Grinding Noise - Xbox 360 Disc Drive Injunfett 10/16/07 5:19 p.m.
           Re: Dreadful Grinding Noise - Xbox 360 Disc DriveThe Se7enth Prophet 10/16/07 5:23 p.m.
                 Re: Dreadful Grinding Noise - Xbox 360 Disc DriveInjunfett 10/16/07 5:26 p.m.
                 Re: Dreadful Grinding Noise - Xbox 360 Disc DriveUNSC Trafalgar 10/16/07 6:46 p.m.
     New DevelopementThe Se7enth Prophet 10/16/07 8:01 p.m.
           Re: New DevelopementNarcogen 10/16/07 8:32 p.m.
                 Re: New DevelopementThe Se7enth Prophet 10/16/07 9:11 p.m.
                       Re: New DevelopementLeviathan 10/16/07 11:02 p.m.
                             Re: New DevelopementThe Se7enth Prophet 10/17/07 9:13 a.m.
     Re: Dreadful Grinding Noise - Xbox 360 Disc Drive Narcogen 10/16/07 8:31 p.m.
           IF bought from gamestop or ebgamesInjunfett 10/16/07 9:08 p.m.
                 Re: IF bought from gamestop or ebgamesvshields ash 10/16/07 9:59 p.m.
                       Re: IF bought from gamestop or ebgamesThe Se7enth Prophet 10/16/07 10:11 p.m.
                             Re: IF bought from gamestop or ebgamesInjunfett 10/16/07 10:37 p.m.
                                   Re: IF bought from gamestop or ebgamesThe Se7enth Prophet 10/16/07 10:56 p.m.
     Re: Dreadful Grinding Noise - Xbox 360 Disc DrivePlasmaFire 10/16/07 11:58 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.