Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

My take on this whole situation. *rant*
Posted By: Awe Venger <tim_awe@hotmail.com>Date: 8/1/07 7:12 p.m.

In Response To: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywhere. (Captain Spark)

Ok, for those of you who have seen things in post titles you concieve as spoilers, this post is from here on marked MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW. I just present my view of the situation.

My side of the case is that I understand that some wish to not have their story segments spoiled, I prefer that too. But please, if you are so afraid of any campaign material, you choose that, you take that upon yourself and you risk getting frightened going here. And that is not my problem, it's yours.

Perhaps I'm too damned damaged by school, but good art (as I believe the Halo storylines to be) is not marked by its actual, factual content, but how it allows us to feel and explore our own sensations and perceptions. I'll make two examples: Shakespeare and da Vinci.

Shakespeare is NOT famous for coming up with the plot of Macbeth, Othello, R&J etc. Someone else did. Know why Shakespeare is great? Because of the way he did these plays, practically reinventing both language and literature as he went along. The attention to detail, creativity, and feeling for the theatrical, along with being born English speaker.

Is Mona Lisa famous for being a girl without eyebrows sitting depicted against a natural backdrop? Hell, I could do that with crayons. Again, the claim for fame lies in da Vinci's technique, dedication and subtlety, something radically different from the actual contents of the picture.

What do I want to say with this? The Halo storyline isn't the first sci-fi to ever be written, it's the way it's handled, mixing music, various graphical details, cutscenes and gameplay to present the emotion and conflict that I personally find so great in Halo. Here is my example, anno 2004:

I had managed to stay away from all the "gamewrecking" story spoilers, kept the leaked game info at bay, and didn't know about HBO forum being closed down. But I bought the Strategy Guide, and as the cutscene after Metro rolled, I peeked over to see what I would need, what kind of battles there was in the next level, for I really enjoyed the last one. *Yells: NOOOO!!* I had been spoiled without seeing it myself, first hand via the level intro.

But why do I keep playing as the Arbiter, even after seeing the level design (not a big hit with me) or the, in my opinion, less interesting enemies, and the big thing, HAVING IT SPOILED? I enjoy seeing the artwork, the craft of having produced a compelling, engaging storyline that really adds to the story of the game. Would I have sided with the Elites in the Mausoleum hadn't it been for the Arbiter missions? Probably not. Ask me for gameplay, H2 w/ or w/o Arby, it's the latter, for story, the former. Read the above on both artists, replace them with "Bungie", their artworks with "Halo" and put the rest into context. There's how I feel.

The point is, as this is turning into an essay, that neither features (Like the "No SP Arbiter, No coop extra Spartan"), nor actual events of the story (especially from the beginning! Please, that is ridiculous to these two eyes.) impact me. Both Halo games are riddled with excellent story events where someone could give me a total level transcript, complete with actor directions and complete breakdown of the rest of the levels as well, and it wouldn't have impacted the feeling of seeing that on screen, played out infront of my eyes with what I have behind me. Will give breakdowns on request.

343GS is still as annoying on my 20th playthrough of the Library. That feeling of success upon completing that level is still, to this day, stomped to the ground from the 2B cutscene and I shiver in delight as I continue to tear apart every syllable of that dialogue, only to take action on the Sentinels moments later.

Giving the covies back their bomb after CS on legendary? Never gets old. Killing Regret after seeing Prophets in action? Gets better the second time (Grenade glitch, yay!).

While not seeking out spoilers - I have other stuff to do in my time - consciously avoiding them serves no real purpose to me unless someone sticks a full cutscene package under my nose. And if some people think they're doing a service by stating that the rest of the Halo community can not read EGM for their own sake: it's up to ME if I want to read it.

If someone says "Arby's not playable." and the next kid comes in roaming "ZOMG Spoilers flooding everywhere, PUT SPOILER TAG ON!" I say that game features does not equal game story. People not wanting to know game features should in my opinion not be reading Bungies own page, HBO, or forums. If someone thinks that marketing is getting weird, it's marketing! Mass marketing message + complexity = Mess.

When Marty told us to stay away from marketing, there is no need to go all caps and multiplied vocals and internet slang. When in doubt, wait to see or just ask if there are spoilers in a marketing message. I think people know their own standards around here, no need to run around being police; if there's damage it's probably done already, and caps won't fix it if you ask me.

While I agree that some people are sensitive to story and can accept that, I do not see why any game information whatsoever at this point has to be considered spoiler. Equipment, saved films, additional weapons and vehicles for humans and covenant are not any more spoiler in my eyes than any other game feature. Without being able to discuss those things, we have other reasons than spoilers to leave this place.

Message Index

Replies:

For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywhere.Captain Spark 8/1/07 2:45 p.m.
     Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherDHalo 8/1/07 2:53 p.m.
           Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherCaptain Spark 8/1/07 3:13 p.m.
                 Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherHunt3r 8/1/07 3:38 p.m.
                       Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 8/1/07 4:34 p.m.
                 Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherSep7imus [subnova] 8/1/07 3:52 p.m.
                       Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherCaptain Spark 8/1/07 6:23 p.m.
                 Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherGhaleonEB 8/1/07 4:42 p.m.
           Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherFrankie 8/1/07 4:32 p.m.
                 yo frankieInjunfett 8/1/07 4:38 p.m.
                       Re: yo frankieFrankie 8/1/07 4:46 p.m.
                             Re: yo frankieInjunfett 8/1/07 4:52 p.m.
                 See? Now everyone can stfu. *NM*Calvin Chaos 8/1/07 4:43 p.m.
                 thanks one million! *NM*Hunt3r 8/1/07 4:54 p.m.
                 Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherDavid Tabor 8/1/07 5:27 p.m.
                 One question though... *heh.. spoilers?*Littlebigman 8/1/07 5:34 p.m.
                       Re: One question though... *heh.. spoilers?* *NM*David Tabor 8/1/07 6:12 p.m.
                       Re: One question though... *heh.. spoilers?*Achronos 8/1/07 9:57 p.m.
                             Thanks for the reply. :D *NM*Littlebigman 8/1/07 11:16 p.m.
     Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherDC Tactical 8/1/07 2:53 p.m.
           Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherDHalo 8/1/07 2:55 p.m.
                 Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherDC Tactical 8/1/07 2:58 p.m.
                       Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherACEfanatic02 8/1/07 2:59 p.m.
                             Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherDC Tactical 8/1/07 3:04 p.m.
                             Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherHunt3r 8/1/07 3:39 p.m.
           Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherCaptain Spark 8/1/07 3:19 p.m.
           Re: For crying out loud, Halo 3 spoilers everywherViralSyris 8/1/07 3:26 p.m.
     $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ *NM*Dojorkan 8/1/07 3:04 p.m.
           Re: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$DC Tactical 8/1/07 3:09 p.m.
                 Re: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Dojorkan 8/1/07 3:27 p.m.
                       Re: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$KP 8/1/07 3:50 p.m.
                       Re: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$wolfman 8/1/07 5:43 p.m.
                       Re: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$c0ld vengeance 8/2/07 2:33 a.m.
     Drudge Report?Schedonnardus 8/1/07 3:11 p.m.
           Re: Drudge Report?Captain Spark 8/1/07 3:21 p.m.
                 Re: Drudge Report?Schedonnardus 8/1/07 3:23 p.m.
                       Re: Drudge Report?Captain Spark 8/1/07 3:40 p.m.
                             God you are so annoyingDavid Tabor 8/1/07 4:29 p.m.
                                   Re: God you are so annoyingSchedonnardus 8/1/07 4:43 p.m.
                                         Re: God you are so annoyingDavid Tabor 8/1/07 4:48 p.m.
                                               I'm tired of this as wellWortroW 8/1/07 5:20 p.m.
                                   Re: God you are so annoyingCaptain Spark 8/1/07 6:10 p.m.
                                         Re: God you are so annoyingDavid Tabor 8/1/07 6:13 p.m.
                                               Re: God you are so annoyingMelkor 8/1/07 9:56 p.m.
                                         Re: God you are so annoyingXmoosev3 8/2/07 9:27 a.m.
     My take on this whole situation. *rant*Awe Venger 8/1/07 7:12 p.m.
           Re: My take on this whole situation. *rant*DHalo 8/1/07 7:25 p.m.
                 Re: My take on this whole situation. *rant*Awe Venger 8/1/07 7:39 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.