Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Where to find Marathon Music?
Posted By: Louis Wu <halo@bungie.org>Date: 7/28/07 3:09 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Where to find Marathon Music? (Eisen Feuer)

: What do you mean by "standard Red Book versions", can't you just go
: to source.bungie.org, snag Marathon 1 and get the mp3s out of the
: "tracks" folder?

Yes, of course you can. But they're not the same.

Okay, here's the deal.

Marathon came out in 1994. The music, in game, was generated from MIDI files. On the Marathon CD, Alex also included standard CD tracks for 6 of the songs, which sounded almost the same, but (as maybe could be expected) better.

As QuickTime evolved on the Mac, over the 90s, the ability to generate the original sound those MIDI files were designed to produce became scarcer and scarcer - I can't remember when things went south, but I'm sure it's documented nicely on the Story page. The original version of the music that was included with M1A1 was rendered with whatever QT was current at the time (5, maybe?). Then, in September 2001, a fan went to the trouble of installing QuickTime 2.5 on an old mac, and extracting the tracks, and rendering them as MP3s. That's what's included with M1A1 these days (actually, they might be cleaned up further from there by now - but that's how they started). They're not the same.

Here's a file with 30 seconds of 'Splash', rendered by QT 2.5 from a MIDI file and converted to MP3 (from M1A1), followed by 30 seconds of the CD track of Splash from the Marathon CD.

http://files.bungie.org/splashsplashbaby.mp3

While the first one is pretty close to what you probably heard in-game as you were playing in the mid-nineties... the second one is closer to what Alex had envisioned for the songs. :)

Message Index

Replies:

Marathon Musicintegration 7/27/07 6:46 p.m.
     Where to find Marathon Music?The Lamonster 7/27/07 7:02 p.m.
           Re: Where to find Marathon Music?The More Deluded 7/27/07 7:08 p.m.
           Re: Where to find Marathon Music?integration 7/27/07 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: Where to find Marathon Music?Louis Wu 7/27/07 8:20 p.m.
                       Re: Where to find Marathon Music?Eisen Feuer 7/28/07 2:25 a.m.
                             Re: Where to find Marathon Music?Louis Wu 7/28/07 3:09 a.m.
                                   Re: Where to find Marathon Music?Eisen Feuer 7/28/07 4:35 p.m.
     now this I like! Keep up the good work :) *NM*The More Deluded 7/27/07 7:09 p.m.
           Incredible.VVM 7/27/07 8:34 p.m.
     Fantastic!DiscipleN2k 7/27/07 9:32 p.m.
     Me Likes *NM*bedlam 7/27/07 9:42 p.m.
     Awesome. More, more! *NM*Bothinator 7/28/07 1:02 a.m.
     Re: Marathon MusicGreat_Pretender 7/29/07 6:48 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Musicmadcowjim 7/30/07 11:30 a.m.
     Re: Marathon MusicThorsHammer 7/31/07 12:35 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.