Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Movie-making advice requested
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 6/23/07 5:49 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Serious soldiering (ocean fx)

: it's always bugged me that your site didn't have many descriptors or pictures
: to help the reader along

The main reason there is that I haven't had the necessary kit to produce screenshots and movies. Moreover, I'm not even sure what I would need - I'm not very clued up on hardware and gadgets. So here's an appeal then. Can anyone offer some advice on what I'd need for producing movies, so I can start filling Bad Cyborg full of visual goodies?

Bear in mind that I won't be playing on a PC or Mac. Any playing that I do will be on an Xbox, here in the UK where TVs use the PAL system. Therefore, I'm assuming that I'd need to start off with a VHS tape of game footage, which is at least something I do know how to do. Except, when I tried it and replayed the tape, the image quality was awful. Watchable but awful. But possibly that was simply due to using a cheap old recorder and tape? Or is tape intrinsically quite bad? Hey, can I get the raw footage on a DVD instead of a tape? Would that be better? Do cheap DVD recorders exist yet?

Once I've got raw footage on a tape or DVD, I'd presumably then want some device that converts that media into a movie file. I don't know what that device is even called, but it must exist, right? In regard to the movie file, I'm thinking specifically of Apple's movie format (.mov), as I'm a Mac user. Might have to finally invest in a new Mac though; I currently have quite an old 266MHz G3 running OS 8.1, and I have no movie production software.

The final piece of the jigsaw would that I'd also need to get a fast internet connection so I'd be able to upload movies and whatnot. Well, I don't really need any advice on that at least. Except, I'd probably have to get a new web host too because I'd need a lot more web space and I'd presumably have to pay for it (my current site costs me nothing). Can anyone recommend a good cheap host (and I'm in the UK remember, not US) that is also Mac-friendly? I remember looking around and getting the impression with a lot of hosts, the word 'Mac' isn't even in their vocabulary. E.g. they include free website creation software in their packages, but the specs are just for PC - there's nothing about Macs. I was put off signing up because I wasn't even sure I'd be able to upload stuff from a Mac.

: But now you've got me interested again. I'd like to play some megabattles and
: vidcap them. D'you want me to send the captures your way?

No, my connection is currently too slow to be able to deal with such things comfortably. But as I've said to people before, I'd be only too happy to hear of megabattle screenshots or movies posted somewhere, and I'd potentially link to them from my site. I don't think anyone's ever taken up that idea though, which I find a bit vexing because the megabattles would make tremendous subject material for anyone wanting to get some attention with spectacular movies. Still, if anyone can help me out with my request for technical advice, maybe I'll finally get around to doing it myself! And I know all the best spots for hot action...

: back in the day, you would use a lot of non-official names to refer to places and things,
: as if they were accepted terms

Er, well I think I probably still do, but that would generally be because I'm unaware of any particular 'accepted names', so I just use what seems a suitably descriptive term - and a carefully chosen one at that. It's not an effort to try and impose terms on the Halo world or anything, just a matter of practicality.

Bad Cyborg - Halo goodness in way too many words

Message Index

Replies:

Kill 'em all speed runsRockslider 6/20/07 12:34 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runsDucain 6/20/07 4:08 p.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runsRockslider 6/20/07 8:26 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runs...hmm...vshields ash 6/20/07 4:46 p.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runs...hmm...Rockslider 6/20/07 8:36 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runsCody Miller 6/20/07 4:56 p.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runsRockslider 6/20/07 8:16 p.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runsSlith 6/20/07 8:35 p.m.
                 Re: Kill 'em all speed runsRockslider 6/21/07 12:32 p.m.
           How many Flood in the Library?Rockslider 6/21/07 6:23 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runsmike miller 6/21/07 3:12 a.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runsDucain 6/21/07 7:18 a.m.
           Some old gameRockslider 6/21/07 12:25 p.m.
                 Re: Some old gamescarab 6/22/07 1:35 a.m.
                 Re: Some old gameThorsHammer 6/22/07 3:04 a.m.
                       Hey Mike...Rockslider 6/22/07 3:50 p.m.
                             Re: Hey Mike...Louis Wu 6/22/07 7:05 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runsocean fx 6/22/07 6:34 a.m.
           Serious soldieringRockslider 6/22/07 3:57 p.m.
                 Re: Serious soldieringocean fx 6/23/07 9:48 a.m.
                       Movie-making advice requestedRockslider 6/23/07 5:49 p.m.
                             Re: Movie-making advice requestedRed_Breast 6/24/07 4:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Movie-making advice requestedRockslider 6/25/07 4:59 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.