Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Serious soldiering
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 6/22/07 3:57 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Kill 'em all speed runs (ocean fx)

Er, I think you've slightly flown off the handle here, as if you think I've been saying everyone should play very cautiously and deadly serious - which I haven't of course. No indeedy. At the monument of trigger-happy incoherence known as Bad Cyborg we're all-embracing and anti-elitist. You may also have missed the playful tone of good humour in what I was saying about some of Mike's fighting in Legend, where I wantonly overlooked all the bits where he's maybe in proper control (i.e. not down to two bars of health with shield bleeping and wading into yet more trouble). I think Mike will readily admit that portions of that play are deliberately gung-ho for the sake of exhuberant video spectacle. I was just recalling the bits that made the most vivid impression on me. But I think I now also recall a lot of nice 'stun and tag' moves, which were nice to see and made me feel more comfortable.

: Who is it who defines "sharp serious soldiering," anyway?

I'd say it's when you're properly in control, using your weapons well, and (in regard to the 'serious' part) trying to maintain a decent margin of safety, in line with what you'd want to be doing in real life. It's a natural attitude to take if you're into treating things like they're real - which is what I personally like to do. Some players may have more of a 'videogaming' mentality in which they're not too concerned about dying, because reanimation is just part of the gameplay for them. Fine by me; each to his or her own. I could enjoy watching some knockabout stuff for fun, but it's some way removed from the stuff I'm really interested in.

: ...which is what makes your website so terribly incoherent.

Cough splutter! Or, in Elvish for extra incoherence, cooflienabli splootaklipnia! Hey, now I remember you; you're the guy that rumbled me last year by pointing out that half of what I say is unintelligible. And I'm still at it? Dang. I though I'd got the unintelligibility down to about 30% by now, but some things never change eh? Well, stick around a while and who knows, I may even get around to giving the site the full works. Screenshots, movies, interactive Java-Grunts you can prod with a stick ("Ooh!"... "Ahh!"... "Eee!"... "Stop poking me!"...), and goodness knows what else, to help knock some comprehensibility into the place. Could be fun.

Bad Cyborg

Message Index

Replies:

Kill 'em all speed runsRockslider 6/20/07 12:34 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runsDucain 6/20/07 4:08 p.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runsRockslider 6/20/07 8:26 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runs...hmm...vshields ash 6/20/07 4:46 p.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runs...hmm...Rockslider 6/20/07 8:36 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runsCody Miller 6/20/07 4:56 p.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runsRockslider 6/20/07 8:16 p.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runsSlith 6/20/07 8:35 p.m.
                 Re: Kill 'em all speed runsRockslider 6/21/07 12:32 p.m.
           How many Flood in the Library?Rockslider 6/21/07 6:23 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runsmike miller 6/21/07 3:12 a.m.
           Re: Kill 'em all speed runsDucain 6/21/07 7:18 a.m.
           Some old gameRockslider 6/21/07 12:25 p.m.
                 Re: Some old gamescarab 6/22/07 1:35 a.m.
                 Re: Some old gameThorsHammer 6/22/07 3:04 a.m.
                       Hey Mike...Rockslider 6/22/07 3:50 p.m.
                             Re: Hey Mike...Louis Wu 6/22/07 7:05 p.m.
     Re: Kill 'em all speed runsocean fx 6/22/07 6:34 a.m.
           Serious soldieringRockslider 6/22/07 3:57 p.m.
                 Re: Serious soldieringocean fx 6/23/07 9:48 a.m.
                       Movie-making advice requestedRockslider 6/23/07 5:49 p.m.
                             Re: Movie-making advice requestedRed_Breast 6/24/07 4:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Movie-making advice requestedRockslider 6/25/07 4:59 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.