Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Stats I'd Like To See
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 2/7/07 12:29 a.m.

In Response To: Campaign stats (Rockslider)

: Absolutely. I'd hate that too. But surely Bungie wouldn't do that to us. Thus
: far, the campaign modes look to have been designed with an immersive
: atmosphere of realism in mind. That's part of why I came to think of H1 as
: a real grown up game, happily free of artificial 'points' and other such
: arcade-game elements. You just had the mission, plain and simple. You were
: a cyborg battling the Covenant for human survival, not a videogamer
: battling a game for points. Different mindset altogether.

This is really only true the first few times you play the campaign. Once you get to the point where you're looking for replayability, I think stats are just another source of replayability.

Think about having a "zero shot" film where you actually get a report, from the engine, that verifies no shots were fired, instead of having to record an entire video.

: With that atmosphere in mind, stats after a level would be completely out of
: place. Ok I guess I'd soon get used to automatically hitting a 'skip'
: button however many times it took to get the tawdry things off the screen,
: but that would be a continual annoyance.

How about making it so you can press a button during the cutscene to interrupt it and see stats, instead of the other way around? That way, if you don't want to see them, nothing interrupts you, but the stats for your current/last level finished are always a button press away.

How about that for an "X button" idea?

: Of course, I've no objection to stats being viewable elsewhere for folk who
: specifically want to take a look. It would also be ok if there was an
: option you could set, for whether to see stats after a level. The latter
: plan would satisfy everyone, except perhaps Bungie. They seem a bit stingy
: with options (e.g. no music volume control), so I can imagine them not
: wanting one, and just going with whatever preference they have. In that
: case, either the stats fans or folk like myself are going to be
: disappointed. I'd think I'd actually LIKE an option for seeing stats after
: a level, because even I might have an occasional use for it; e.g. to see
: how long a speed run took.

Exactly. If you have to go somewhere else in the interface for it, or interrupt your game, or even go to bungie.net-- I don't care. I'd just like the game to record them, securely, and have some way of accessing them.

: Just out of interest, what campaign stats would folk like to see anyway? Or
: has there already been a big thread about that? I'm struggling to think of
: anything much that I'd be interested in, other than 'Duration' being
: useful for speed runs.

Rounds used for each weapon and weapon type-- automatic, semi, single shot, short/medium/long range, human/covenant. Vehicles used, time vehicles used. Kills, deaths, suicides. Kill/death ratio. Damage dealt, damage received, damage ratio. Friendly fire damage produced and sustained, with ratio to normal damage. Maximum speed attained during match. Maximum height sustained (way to measure jumps and so forth).

Grenades used. Grenade kills. Amount of damage from weapons, melee strikes, grenades (by type).

Vehicles damaged, vehicles destroyed.

Here's an odd thought. I'm sure Bungie is doing everything they can to prevent animation interruption bugs and geometry exploits like superjumping. But even if they can't eliminate them, perhaps they could count them? BXR might not be illegal, but I'd love to see how many each player did in a game. Controversial, I'm sure.

Weapon pickups and drops. How many times you picked up and dropped each weapon. Same for powerups. I realize I'm going far afield from just campaign now, as H2 capaign doesn't have powerups. How about the # of times things like Arby's camoflauge were used, and for how long?

Getting back to campaign, how about some stats on allies? Total marines spawned, total killed, survivors. Damage dealt and received with ratios. Just about any stat you can have for the player, you can have for your group of allies. Lots of replayability scenarios focus around keeping marines alive; this would be a way of tracking that-- try to do as little damage to the enemy as is necessary while maximizing your ally survival rates and damage dealt. It'd be like... helping them help you!

Halo 2 Impressions

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 3 achievements.Gravemind 2/2/07 3:00 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.Narcogen 2/2/07 5:53 a.m.
           Re: Halo 3 achievements.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/2/07 10:14 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.Spartan - 116 2/2/07 6:33 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.PharoahsRaiment 2/2/07 6:50 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.Sep7imus [subnova] 2/2/07 7:24 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.DarkSim 2/2/07 10:02 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.PsychoRaven 2/2/07 11:10 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.Psychophan7 2/2/07 2:24 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.GhaleonEB 2/2/07 3:09 p.m.
           Medal for getting through without dyingRockslider 2/2/07 5:12 p.m.
                 Re: Medal for getting through without dyingKanbo 2/6/07 9:41 p.m.
     What's the attraction of points etc?Rockslider 2/2/07 4:16 p.m.
           Re: What's the attraction of points etc?DarkSim 2/2/07 4:46 p.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?DangerousHippo 2/2/07 8:29 p.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Louis Wu 2/3/07 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Cody Miller 2/3/07 10:44 a.m.
                       Be fair LouisRockslider 2/3/07 4:54 p.m.
                             Re: Be fair LouisLouis Wu 2/3/07 5:03 p.m.
           Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/2/07 7:31 p.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Sep7imus [subnova] 2/3/07 8:09 a.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?DS 2/3/07 11:04 a.m.
                       Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Sep7imus [subnova] 2/3/07 2:51 p.m.
                             Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/3/07 3:19 p.m.
                             Re: What's the attraction of points etc?DS 2/3/07 3:20 p.m.
                             Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Ma1agate 2/3/07 4:21 p.m.
                                   Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Rockslider 2/3/07 7:03 p.m.
                                         Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360?3Suns 2/3/07 7:44 p.m.
                                               Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360Rockslider 2/4/07 8:04 a.m.
                                                     Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360UrsusArctos 2/4/07 8:17 a.m.
                                                     Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360Sep7imus [subnova] 2/4/07 9:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360Rockslider 2/4/07 3:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360DS 2/4/07 4:44 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/4/07 9:58 p.m.
                                   Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Miguel Chavez 2/4/07 10:31 p.m.
                                         Campaign statsNarcogen 2/5/07 12:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Campaign statsMiguel Chavez 2/5/07 3:40 a.m.
                                                     I just want a killcount at the end... *NM*Rox 2/5/07 4:35 a.m.
                                                     Body Count DOES blow. Steal the Bacon FTW!! *NM*Ma1agate 2/5/07 10:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: Campaign statsNarcogen 2/6/07 10:48 p.m.
                                         Campaign statsRockslider 2/5/07 4:25 p.m.
                                               Re: Campaign statsDS 2/5/07 5:40 p.m.
                                               Campaign stats - two more thoughtsRockslider 2/6/07 12:56 p.m.
                                               Stats I'd Like To SeeNarcogen 2/7/07 12:29 a.m.
                                                     Re: Stats I'd Like To SeeRockslider 2/7/07 5:32 p.m.
                             Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Rockslider 2/3/07 6:57 p.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Coffin Joe 2/3/07 5:46 p.m.
           Another reason to chalk up Achievement points3Suns 2/6/07 8:41 p.m.
                 Re: Another reason to chalk up Achievement pointstak 2/6/07 10:31 p.m.
                       Re: Another reason to chalk up Achievement pointsTelTura 2/6/07 11:07 p.m.
                 Re: Another reason to chalk up Achievement pointsDS 2/7/07 8:41 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.