Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Halo 3 achievements.
Posted By: Gravemind <gravemind80@yahoo.com>Date: 2/2/07 3:00 a.m.

I know that the topic of achievements in Halo 3 has been brought up before, but I want to focus not on what the achievements should be, but what they shouldn't be.

Certain kinds of achievements have the potential to drastically affect one's gameplay experience, as they often give players incentive to behave in ways they wouldn't under normal circumstances. A good example is Gears of War. After playing several multiplayer sessions online, I can see how certain achievements can be problematic for gameplay.

There are several achievements in GoW's multiplayer mode that require the player to accumulate 100 of certain types of special kills: chainsaw kills, grenade sticks, curb stomps, sniper kills, pistol kills, and so forth. These achievements have a notable effect of giving many players the incentive of ignoring things like teamwork in order to get the requisite number of special kills needed to unlock an achievement. In one recent game, I had a teammate who got himself killed on multiple occasions because he would do nothing but attempt to stick the enemy with a grenade. When I asked him about this, he said something along the lines of "Hell yeah I'm trying to get my achievement." A forum user over at B.net described a similar situation he experienced: "Acheivments in a way ruin the games like a guy on my team in GoW was trying to get the 100 curb stomp kills and he kept dying when he ran up to the downed guy, when he clerarly saw the downed guy's teamates hiding behind the broken cars."

In the case of achievements that require the player to accumulate a certain number of special kills (e.g., grenade sticks, sniper & other weapon-specific kills, melee kills), many players will become so hell-bent on getting those achievements that all other considerations become secondary. As we can see in the case of GoW, many players will forgo killing a player in an ordinary fashion, even though they could have easily done so, just so they can get some sort of special kill. They will continually sacrifice performance — dragging their team down with them — simply in order to get an achievement. We could likely see something similar to Gears in Halo 3, where players will spend as much time as humanly possible doing nothing but throwing plasma 'nades, trying to beat down opponents, and so forth. Therefore, I'd suggest that the following achievements should NOT be in Halo 3 (each filling in the blank in the template "Collect x number ______ in Matchmaking"):

Sniper kills
Plasma sticks
Beatdowns
Assassinations
Splatters
Vehicle jacks
Any new type of weapon-/attack-specific special kill

Achievements unlocked in multiplayer should be restricted to multikills (Double Kills, Killtaculars, etc.), killing sprees (Running Riots, etc.), and non-medal-related things like headshots. The acquisition of these achievements would not be dependent on any sort of highly-specialized killing methods, and thus would not encourage the kind of wreckless, team-hurting behavior seen in GoW.

Of course, I think no less than half of the gamerscore points in Halo 3 should be rewarded by unlocking achievements in Campaign. If Legendary is anywhere near as difficult in Halo 3 as it was in Halo 2, then not only should the reward be rather high (no less than 100 points) for beating the whole game on Legendary, then we should perhaps also get achievements for finishing individual stages on said difficulty. Overall, Campaign achievements should be structured similar to how they are in CoD2 or GoW.

Discuss.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 3 achievements.Gravemind 2/2/07 3:00 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.Narcogen 2/2/07 5:53 a.m.
           Re: Halo 3 achievements.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/2/07 10:14 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.Spartan - 116 2/2/07 6:33 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.PharoahsRaiment 2/2/07 6:50 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.Sep7imus [subnova] 2/2/07 7:24 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.DarkSim 2/2/07 10:02 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.PsychoRaven 2/2/07 11:10 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.Psychophan7 2/2/07 2:24 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3 achievements.GhaleonEB 2/2/07 3:09 p.m.
           Medal for getting through without dyingRockslider 2/2/07 5:12 p.m.
                 Re: Medal for getting through without dyingKanbo 2/6/07 9:41 p.m.
     What's the attraction of points etc?Rockslider 2/2/07 4:16 p.m.
           Re: What's the attraction of points etc?DarkSim 2/2/07 4:46 p.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?DangerousHippo 2/2/07 8:29 p.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Louis Wu 2/3/07 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Cody Miller 2/3/07 10:44 a.m.
                       Be fair LouisRockslider 2/3/07 4:54 p.m.
                             Re: Be fair LouisLouis Wu 2/3/07 5:03 p.m.
           Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/2/07 7:31 p.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Sep7imus [subnova] 2/3/07 8:09 a.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?DS 2/3/07 11:04 a.m.
                       Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Sep7imus [subnova] 2/3/07 2:51 p.m.
                             Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/3/07 3:19 p.m.
                             Re: What's the attraction of points etc?DS 2/3/07 3:20 p.m.
                             Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Ma1agate 2/3/07 4:21 p.m.
                                   Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Rockslider 2/3/07 7:03 p.m.
                                         Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360?3Suns 2/3/07 7:44 p.m.
                                               Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360Rockslider 2/4/07 8:04 a.m.
                                                     Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360UrsusArctos 2/4/07 8:17 a.m.
                                                     Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360Sep7imus [subnova] 2/4/07 9:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360Rockslider 2/4/07 3:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360DS 2/4/07 4:44 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Achievements are Evolving and Do you own a 360Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 2/4/07 9:58 p.m.
                                   Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Miguel Chavez 2/4/07 10:31 p.m.
                                         Campaign statsNarcogen 2/5/07 12:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Campaign statsMiguel Chavez 2/5/07 3:40 a.m.
                                                     I just want a killcount at the end... *NM*Rox 2/5/07 4:35 a.m.
                                                     Body Count DOES blow. Steal the Bacon FTW!! *NM*Ma1agate 2/5/07 10:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: Campaign statsNarcogen 2/6/07 10:48 p.m.
                                         Campaign statsRockslider 2/5/07 4:25 p.m.
                                               Re: Campaign statsDS 2/5/07 5:40 p.m.
                                               Campaign stats - two more thoughtsRockslider 2/6/07 12:56 p.m.
                                               Stats I'd Like To SeeNarcogen 2/7/07 12:29 a.m.
                                                     Re: Stats I'd Like To SeeRockslider 2/7/07 5:32 p.m.
                             Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Rockslider 2/3/07 6:57 p.m.
                 Re: What's the attraction of points etc?Coffin Joe 2/3/07 5:46 p.m.
           Another reason to chalk up Achievement points3Suns 2/6/07 8:41 p.m.
                 Re: Another reason to chalk up Achievement pointstak 2/6/07 10:31 p.m.
                       Re: Another reason to chalk up Achievement pointsTelTura 2/6/07 11:07 p.m.
                 Re: Another reason to chalk up Achievement pointsDS 2/7/07 8:41 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.